ESPN Sweet 16 Predictions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN Sweet 16 Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I believe that if UConn and SC play for the National Championship, UConn will prevail. Yes SC has improved, but hasn't played a team like UConn this season. UConn is a completely different team with the additions of Azzi and Caroline. SC does not have the numbers this time and will not be able to stop the three point shooters. @Tngamecock SC got away with the mugging of Lou, they won't be able to do that against Azzi, Caroline and Lou without getting called on them.
Haven’t played a team like UConn? If you say so. SC‘s 40 bench points per game is the difference.

Reaction Score
Let the SC homers come here and puff their feathers. It’s fine. The last few years, they’ve found the biggest baddest kid on the playground in UConn, and stayed in the ring with them. However, that time is coming to an end. Watch the “likes” for this post, too. It will be full of SC fans with laughter emojis because they are trying to convince themselves it’s not true.

As I’ve said before, they are Notre Dame of the early 2010s. Once this class is gone, they’ll come back to earth. LSU will dominate that conference in another year once Mulkey gets more recruiting classes. Until then, we just have to wade in this tide. Yes, SC won last year. Yes, they beat UConn in the regular season. We know. We believe UConn will win in a rematch.
I am too lazy for the emoji…..but SC was the best team in the nation when covid stopped the tournament from taking place. I think even the most ardent Yukon fan would say that as well. We just did not get a chance to prove it in the tournament. And what makes you think we will be coming back down to earth and LSU will take over? This very board was talking about how soft the LSU schedule was. We promptly beat them by 24. We won the national championship in 2017. I guess we were coming back down to earth when A’ja Wilson left also.

I have been a fan of this board since last year and read numerous posts. The sentiment here was much different six weeks ago. Now in a matter of 10 days, you’ve become untouchable and the best team in college basketball. I think the truth may be somewhere in the middle. South Carolina’s second five would be in this week sweet 16 this year. They will all be back. We are not dropping far.

you’ll also be happy to know that everyone on our team, with the exception of Fletcher and Saxton can come back next year. It may happen.

Reaction Score
What makes you think

What makes you feel that SC will have a "huge home crowd advantage" in Dallas? I think we have all seen how UCONN has fans all over the country who can be counted on to show up and make their presence felt. This belief that they will have a huge home crowd advantage seems the basis of a great deal of your argument that they will benefit from ref calls and such, so I am very curious what makes you so sure of this "huge" home court advantage so far from their actual home court??
I’m not so sure either of us will have a big fan advantage in Dallas Texas

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Let the SC homers come here and puff their feathers. It’s fine. The last few years, they’ve found the biggest baddest kid on the playground in UConn, and stayed in the ring with them. However, that time is coming to an end. Watch the “likes” for this post, too. It will be full of SC fans with laughter emojis because they are trying to convince themselves it’s not true.

As I’ve said before, they are Notre Dame of the early 2010s. Once this class is gone, they’ll come back to earth. LSU will dominate that conference in another year once Mulkey gets more recruiting classes. Until then, we just have to wade in this tide. Yes, SC won last year. Yes, they beat UConn in the regular season. We know. We believe UConn will win in a rematch.
Wow. UConn was beat by double digits by South Carolina twice last year. Maybe ratchet back the puffery until UConn can beat them

Reaction Score
Agreed. I know the media likes to play up the streak and of course it is meaningful to SC fans, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't that great. I definitely think SC feels the pressure to keep up the streak and win another title.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Haven’t played a team like UConn? If you say so. SC‘s 40 bench points per game is the difference.
I guess when you have a starting five that averages 22 1/2 minutes a game, you are going to have a lot of bench points. Now if you want to look at the UConn Game you only had 3 players in double figures, shot almost 39% from the field and only 20% from three, and only won by 4 and that was with UConn not having two top players, some difference.

Reaction Score
I’m not so sure either of us will have a big fan advantage in Dallas Texas
Yeah, I may have overstated that. I still think they will have the advantage but perhaps “huge” was a bit hyperbolic. Mea culpa!

Reaction Score
Sorry gamecock, but you barely beat us when we were at our weakest. Now we have a team that is gelling at just the right time having added a superstar who makes everyone around her better by the threat she poses. And you have basically the same team that squeaked by us.

Except for a freak accident, we would also have had Paige Buckets and then even you would have to admit it would have been nothing short of a blowout.

You might not even beat Iowa much less the hell-bent Huskies. Enjoy your streak while you can...
while it's fair to say that, let's not forget sc and uconn played 2 times last year and SC won both. I thought that team had more experience than this one and I still think that's the case. Also had Paige in both meetings and I don't think this team is a better team without her. While Hendersson, Westbrook/ONO aren't here anymore, I still don't forget those 2 matchups where Boston was having at will over the bigs of Uconn. The game will come down just like the ntl title did, rebounds and 2nd chance points. Can the Uconn bigs do that vs Cardoso and Boston, because the 1st metting this year was won due to Cardoso.

Reaction Score
I guess when you have a starting five that averages 22 1/2 minutes a game, you are going to have a lot of bench points. Now if you want to look at the UConn Game you only had 3 players in double figures, shot almost 39% from the field and only 20% from three, and only won by 4 and that was with UConn not having two top players, some difference.
The concept of bench points is nonsensical anyway if teams have seven player rotations who play a lot of minutes. Cardoso is playing more than some of South Carolina's official starters and is a starter in all but name. Even South Carolina plays seven or at most eight players in close games (not counting garbage time).

Reaction Score
None of the teams in UCONN's bracket scares me and none of the projected Final Four teams do either. We lost to SC when we were without Azzi and were at our weakest by a mere 4 points. We are playing cohesive UCONN March basketball and I honestly can't see any team remaining beating us. A round dozen National Championships is my prediction!

I'd take South Carolina in the matchup against Uconn if it happens.

Reaction Score
Sorry gamecock, but you barely beat us when we were at our weakest. Now we have a team that is gelling at just the right time having added a superstar who makes everyone around her better by the threat she poses. And you have basically the same team that squeaked by us.

Except for a freak accident, we would also have had Paige Buckets and then even you would have to admit it would have been nothing short of a blowout.

You might not even beat Iowa much less the hell-bent Huskies. Enjoy your streak while you can...

Barely beat you without playing their A game. But let's see how it plays out!

Reaction Score
I normally don’t get myself in this type of convo but Boston commits and gets away witlast 3 years .. Cordoso just bully’s folks but you know if you get away with it why change right ?

This post isn't even laughable..now I'm hoping both Uconn and Carolina meet for the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom