ESPN Sportscenter | The Boneyard

ESPN Sportscenter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This new look with Scott Van Pelt is pitiful to me, has anyone else seen this. Probably been going on for a while and I just don't watch it anymore because of people like Neil Everett and the crap they show.

Yesterday they brought a guy on they call "Stanford Steve" and I'm still wondering why because he said nothing and SVP just kept talking. They get worst and worst, not a big deal because it's been a while since they've had anything to speak of, but what they represent now is amatuerish at best.

Reaction Score
Funny, because I almost never watch. I was watching it last night during the bit where he was talking to Jay Bilas, and all I could think, other than, "This format is tedious," was, "high def is harsh." I'm sure I'd look like a ghoul from Pluto in HD, by the way. I'm just saying that watching those two go at it, plus a heavy dude also with no hair, was like watching lunch break in the chemo ward.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Everything the Walt Disney Corporation touches turns to gold, doesn't it? ...

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
To be fair... SVP is without a doubt the best SC anchor since Stuart Scott passed. I'm not sure how I feel about the new SVP SC show format. But I know for one thing is that SVP's analysis and delivery are almost always spot on.

I loved his older show, SVP & Russillo during the day because it was literally the only sports show on ESPN networks that was objective and had good analysis and discussion about ACTUAL sports topics. All other day-time ESPN programs are basically sports entertainment programs... no sports analysis and reporting, just talking heads (Stephen A / Skip B) spewing nonsense and looking for attention with their 'hot takes'. ESPN has basically become TMZ for sports.

So although the new SVP SC format seems different and at times tedious, it's much better than the traditional SC segment or especially any day-time crap of seeing Stephen A, Skip B, or Chris B spew garbage for ratings.

SVP is the best ESPN has, so giving him some leverage to allow him to do what he wants is probably their best move in some time. And we all know that Bilas is far and away the most likable Dukie on earth... he is ESPNs best play-by-play commentator and a great analyst who does well to hide any Duke bias he has.

Reaction Score
This new look with Scott Van Pelt is pitiful to me, has anyone else seen this. Probably been going on for a while and I just don't watch it anymore because of people like Neil Everett and the crap they show.

Yesterday they brought a guy on they call "Stanford Steve" and I'm still wondering why because he said nothing and SVP just kept talking. They get worst and worst, not a big deal because it's been a while since they've had anything to speak of, but what they represent now is amatuerish at best.

I agree, Neil Everett reminds of the dad when your 11 years old who tries to act like he is still in his 20s and tries way too hard to be cool. It's really annoying. I really only watch ESPN for games, and even that is hard to swallow. Not so much the broadcasting but the blatant bias they have toward programs.

They had a blogger at one point specifically just for UNC at their CBB homepage. No other school had that. Also UNC is 25 years deep in academic cheating yet, ESPN makes it a nonissue. Do they even see the double standard?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Letsgohuskies11 said:
I agree, Neil Everett reminds of the dad when your 11 years old who tries to act like he is still in his 20s and tries way too hard to be cool. It's really annoying. I really only watch ESPN for games, and even that is hard to swallow. Not so much the broadcasting but the blatant bias they have toward programs.

They had a blogger at one point specifically just for UNC at their CBB homepage. No other school had that. Also UNC is 25 years deep in academic cheating yet, ESPN makes it a nonissue. Do they even see the double standard?

^^^^ obv. Someone in his 20's.

The dad in his scenario is probably 35 max. Which means he likely has money for the first time in his life and isn't burdened by a toddler demanding all of his free time. Heaven forbid he have a few laughs.

Junior will learn.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
epark88 said:
Everything the Walt Disney Corporation touches turns to gold, doesn't it? ...

I would rethink that statement because I think they are actually going to turn the star wars franchise into gold.

Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
This new look with Scott Van Pelt is pitiful to me, has anyone else seen this. Probably been going on for a while and I just don't watch it anymore because of people like Neil Everett and the crap they show. Yesterday they brought a guy on they call "Stanford Steve" and I'm still wondering why because he said nothing and SVP just kept talking. They get worst and worst, not a big deal because it's been a while since they've had anything to speak of, but what they represent now is amatuerish at best.

Van Pelt is one of the only reasons to watch the WWL. Stanford Steve works on his radio show, which is presumably the only reason they put him in tv. As far as I can tell the guy brings zero to the table, and the next smart or interesting thing he says will be the first. SVP is pretty good though, a nice counterbalance to the hot take culture they're usually pushing.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Van Pelt is one of the only reasons to watch the WWL. Stanford Steve works on his radio show, which is presumably the only reason they put him in tv. As far as I can tell the guy brings zero to the table, and the next smart or interesting thing he says will be the first. SVP is pretty good though, a nice counterbalance to the hot take culture they're usually pushing.
I miss the SVP radio show, I haven't watched much of the new SC. But SVP is kind of becoming the world's oldest bro, he may turn into a caricature of himself like Berman did.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Its TMZ for Men...I mean ESPN... What did you expect?

Reaction Score
The fact that he's the best one left is quite tragic. I see him come on after the last CBB games which end at/around/after midnight on the East coast. The highlights of games are atrocious. Barely knows any player names (called Jerian Grant "Jeremy"), and the highlight plays he just (attempts to) names the player. sits there in silence as the play unfolds, then spouts off a phrase about the play. At least that's what happens for basketball most of the time, like he has never seen the plays and has no idea what is about to happen. I find myself thinking "wtf is the point of this. Might as well just play the clips with no added SVP

His interviews are okay enough at least.

Reaction Score
ESPN is horrible and I haven't seen this new format but SVP is about the only likable thing they have going for them these days.

Reaction Score
I don't for the format because it's more like a talk show than a news program. I want the scores and stats. It sacrifices being informational statistically for being "funky and new" and, I guess that's just not what I'm looking for in the mornings.

Reaction Score
All of you SVP lovers do realize that he HATES UCONN because of our successful recruitment of Rudy Gay. He believes Gary Williams' BS of why Maryland lost out on a stud like Gay to UCONN. SVP thinks UCONN's recruitment was shady.

He never gives UCONN any credit even when there is obvious reason to give UCONN credit, he won't say anything. While always going out of his way to talk about UMD (he's an alum).

He's a and I don't get the SVP love, especially on this board.

BTW, his new show and format SUCK.

Of course, this is just one man's opinion.

Reaction Score

You do realize that the President of ESPN (John Skipper) is a UNC graduate....

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I haven't watched sportscenter in years (probably more than 8), but I always liked Van Pelt. He's down-to-earth--doesn't take himself to seriously, amusing, and reportedly a nice guy. Importantly, he's also got his own schtick. Most ESPN announcers are light weight (failed) carbon copies of former anchors from their heyday like Patrick, Olbermann, Kilborn, Mayne and Scott. They are also full of themselves.

Reaction Score
That's Stanford Steve? I just thought Uncle Fester gained a little weight. Anyway I sure he's there so SVP isn't the funniest looking guy in the studio. I watch SC for the highlights. The days of the unique innovative anchor are long gone. The network isn't complete crap though. A lot of the 30 for 30 episodes are great.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That's Stanford Steve? I just thought Uncle Fester gained a little weight. Anyway I sure he's there so SVP isn't the funniest looking guy in the studio. I watch SC for the highlights. The days of the unique innovative anchor are long gone. The network isn't complete crap though. A lot of the 30 for 30 episodes are great.

Not a Simmons guy, but wasn't that his baby? So that 'talent' is gone too. And you can get good highlights anywhere these days. Only reason I go to ESPN is for Patriots (and NFL) coverage; the beat writer (Mike Reiss) is one of the best in the business. Also ESPNFC.

Reaction Score
I haven't watched sportscenter in years (probably more than 8), but I always liked Van Pelt. He's down-to-earth--doesn't take himself to seriously, amusing, and reportedly a nice guy. Importantly, he's also got his own schtick. Most ESPN announcers are light weight (failed) carbon copies of former anchors from their heyday like Patrick, Olbermann, Kilborn, Mayne and Scott. They are also full of themselves.

I probably watch ESPN way too much outside of their live sports events, but SVP is pretty much a joke at this point, the only reason he has that spot is because ESPN desperately needs a name for their SC anchor, literally everyone else looks/acts/talks like they came off a new anchor assembly line.

At least he's not Neil Everett. That guy just sucks.

Reaction Score
I'll respect those who like SVP for who he was. I liked him when he was a Golf Channel anchor thought he was great. I think he is now self absorbed in his manner and unwatchable - it could be the style they are bringing to him and studio but sorry, he's no longer anyone to tune in for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom