ESPN reporting again on Pac 16 | The Boneyard

ESPN reporting again on Pac 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
they talk about adding Texas and Oklahoma and then Oklahoma State and Texas Tech to bring them up to 16. i also recall seeing that there were issues with the new Texas TV network, but that it most likely could be worked out.

notwithstanding what most UCONN fans would "like" to see, what is most likely going forward? i keep reading snippets about 4 super conferences of 16 each and that the Pac 16 and Big 16 would probably be the strongest followed closely by the SEC. the Big East would be left with the non-poached members and would merge with what is left in the ACC.

does this seem like the most likely scenario? from a hoops perspective, it would totally rock with UCONN, Duke, and UNC in the same conference, but from a football perspective, it would be the weakest of the big 4...

someone on the football board posted this realignment, but i think it may be more what is logical, or wishful thinking, not necessarily what will occur...

ACC North: BCU, UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, Maryland, VTech, UVA
ACC South: NCState, UNC, Duke, WF, GT, USF, FSU, Miami

Big 16 East: Rutgers, PSU, OSU, Indiana, Purdue, Notre Dame, Michigan, MSU
Big 16 West: Northwestern, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Missourri, Kansas

SEC East: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Clemson, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Louisville
SEC West: Alabama, Auburn, MSU, Mississippi, LSU, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Baylor/TCU/Houston

PAC 16 Southwest: Texas, Texas Tech, OU, OSU, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, ASU
PAC 16 Pacific: UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, OSU, Washington, WSU

Unfortunately Cincy, KState, ISU and potentially Baylor and TCU get screwed in this alignment.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
the Big 12 is toast, there will be 5 BCS conferences

I think KU & K St join the BEAST

add at least one more team from TX and we have 12 team football conference, and a 20 team hoops conference

win win

Reaction Score
I think that if the PAC 16 materializes then the BE/ACC merger would become something that would be seriously considered. Football is driving everything, and unfortunately for the Big East, they won't be able to compete without shedding the non-football schools and teaming up with some other more established football schools.

I think the thing that I would be most upset about if that were to occur would be that the likelihood of the ACC tournament every being held at MSG is virtually zero.

Reaction Score
If the B1G does not expand and the ACC takes Rutgers, SU, Pitt and WVU - we're screwed! Just a thought.

Reaction Score
I'd like to stay in an IMPROVED Big East honestly. Don't know if that is possible at all so as long as Uconn ends up in a conference that matters I will be content. Scary times!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I would hate to join the ACC. The Big East style of ball would be irrevocably changed for the worse (read: pussified).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
My plan is based on the following principles (when possible):
  1. Big Ten will only welcome schools that are members of Association of American Universities.
  2. Big East will have more clout that Big 12, so all of its members will remain as members of the top 64.
  3. Existing divisions, rivalries and geography will be respected.
  4. Baylor, Iowa State and Kansas State will be left out.
BIG 16 LEGENDS: Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Northwestern
BIG 16 LEADERS: Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Rutgers, Wisconsin

PAC 16 COASTAL: California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State
PAC 16 CACTUS: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Utah

SEC EAST: Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
SEC WEST: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Texas A&M

BIG ACC BALLERS: Boston College, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Maryland, North Carolina State, Syracuse, Wake Forest, West Virginia
BIG ACC SHOT CALLERS: Duke, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina, South Florida, TCU, Virginia, Virginia Tech

Reaction Score
  1. Big Ten will only welcome schools that are members of Association of American Universities.
  2. Big East will have more clout that Big 12, so all of its members will remain as members of the top 64.
BIG 16 LEGENDS: Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Northwestern

BIG 16 LEADERS: Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Rutgers, Wisconsin

PAC 16 COASTAL: California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State
PAC 16 CACTUS: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Utah

SEC EAST: Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
SEC WEST: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Texas A&M

BIG ACC BALLERS: Boston College, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Maryland, North Carolina State, Syracuse, Wake Forest
BIG ACC SHOT CALLERS: Duke, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina, South Florida, TCU, Virginia, Virginia Tech

Good theory. Where's West Virginia fit in all this ? Surely they fall in line w/ Pitt

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

BIG ACC BALLERS: Boston College, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Maryland, North Carolina State, Syracuse, Wake Forest
i sure hope that doesn't happen as that would be absolutely horrible for UCONN. possibly one of the worst possible scenarios.

Reaction Score
Nebraska lost their AAU affiliation recently. IS the B-10 going to kick them out now???

Reaction Score
I would think the most likely event is KU, KSU & Mizzou to the BE ...12 football & 20 basketball

Reaction Score

1. Big Ten will only welcome schools that will add to its bottom line. Why would it do otherwise?
2. Nebraska and Notre Dame are not part of the AAU. One is in the Big10 and the other was invited int the Big10. The top person in the CIC last year, now the President of Amherst College, said that it would not be correct to suggest that academics is a driver in Big10 expansion.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of university presidents of bball focused schools that are very scared right now. They are powerless to stop what is happening. Thankfully I think that UConn is in good shape, although it may mean a move away from the BE as we know it. Time to go to as many BET games as possible while it lasts.

Reaction Score
What do you guys think of a potential Big East basketball pod system

Old School Conference
North
PC
UConn
SJU
SHU
RU

East
SU
VU
GU
WVU
Pitt

New School Conference
West
UL
UC
ND
DP
MU

South
USF
TCU
KU*
KSU*
Mizzou (ISU or UCF if Mizzou goes to the SEC)*

You play everyone in your division twice, everyone in the conference once and 5 schools in the opposing conference for a total of 18 games. The bottom team in each pod does not make it to the BET, so you'll have a 16 team tournament. The easy alternative is having a single table where everyone plays each other once, but I doubt BE coaches will like the idea of finishing 17th-20th in a conference.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
they talk about adding Texas and Oklahoma and then Oklahoma State and Texas Tech to bring them up to 16. i also recall seeing that there were issues with the new Texas TV network, but that it most likely could be worked out.

notwithstanding what most UCONN fans would "like" to see, what is most likely going forward? i keep reading snippets about 4 super conferences of 16 each and that the Pac 16 and Big 16 would probably be the strongest followed closely by the SEC. the Big East would be left with the non-poached members and would merge with what is left in the ACC.

does this seem like the most likely scenario? from a hoops perspective, it would totally rock with UCONN, Duke, and UNC in the same conference, but from a football perspective, it would be the weakest of the big 4...

someone on the football board posted this realignment, but i think it may be more what is logical, or wishful thinking, not necessarily what will occur...

ACC North: BCU, UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, Maryland, VTech, UVA
ACC South: NCState, UNC, Duke, WF, GT, USF, FSU, Miami

Big 16 East: Rutgers, PSU, OSU, Indiana, Purdue, Notre Dame, Michigan, MSU
Big 16 West: Northwestern, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Missourri, Kansas

SEC East: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Clemson, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Louisville
SEC West: Alabama, Auburn, MSU, Mississippi, LSU, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Baylor/TCU/Houston

PAC 16 Southwest: Texas, Texas Tech, OU, OSU, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, ASU
PAC 16 Pacific: UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, OSU, Washington, WSU

Unfortunately Cincy, KState, ISU and potentially Baylor and TCU get screwed in this alignment.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought we were on track to 4 super-conferences too, but a funny thing has happened in the last week or so. The Big 10 and ACC seem pretty happy where they are, and don't want to expand, nor does anyone seem to want to leave the ACC. I think the SEC barely has internal support for adding A&M and one other, so 16 is probably out of the question, even if they could find 3 more teams to add. The Pac 12 seems to be the only league interested in expanding to 16, and then only if Texas and Oklahoma are two of the additional four teams.

There are a dozen potential scenarios, but one of the more likely is that Missouri is the SEC's 14th team, and Kansas and KState and someone else join the Big East. It would seem like Baylor would be the winner in that situation, but Houston is still a possibility. I think the hoops schools would love Kansas in the league from a draw perspective, since most of them play in big city arenas where they depend on walk up crowd to sell tickets. Kansas State would be acceptable. There are a bunch of different ways to go on the 12th team.

Reaction Score
south...good catch on WV...now updated

i had read that the big10 wouldnt have taken nebraska if they had known they would lose membership...i think notre dame is the exception

Reaction Score
south...good catch on WV...now updated

i had read that the big10 wouldnt have taken nebraska if they had known they would lose membership...i think notre dame is the exception

That's a crazy thing to say when Nebraska's review occurred BEFORE it was added to the Big10 and Big10 schools voted against Nebraska's continuing AAU membership.

People in the Big10 knew very well that Nebraska stood a better than average chance of getting kicked out. Especially after Carnegie redid its classification system a few years ago and ag research was downgraded. As the former head of the CIC said, academics were not a driver in the invitation of Nebraska to the Big10.

Reaction Score
June 11, 2010 - Nebraska's application for Big Ten membership is unanimously approved.

June 13, 2010 - "All the Big Ten schools are AAU members," Nebraska Chancellor Harvey Perlman said. "I doubt that our application would've been accepted had we not been a member of the organization."

April 29, 2011 - Nebraska removed from AAU

Reaction Score
June 11, 2010 - Nebraska's application for Big Ten membership is unanimously approved.

June 13, 2010 - "All the Big Ten schools are AAU members," Nebraska Chancellor Harvey Perlman said. "I doubt that our application would've been accepted had we not been a member of the organization."

April 29, 2011 - Nebraska removed from AAU

So, what do you think that is supposed to prove?

Nebraska's membership renewal was up for a vote in 2009, and that vote was delayed. I think your quotes prove my point. He says that he doubts they would have been accepted into the Big10 were they not an AAU school. At the precise time he is saying that, Big10 presidents helming membership committees in the AAU are maneuvering to toss Nebraska out of the organization.

Do you not understand that I'm saying that Big10 schools literally voted AGAINST Nebraska remaining in the AAU in the very same period they were voting Nebraska INTO the AAU? Graham Spanier, Pres. of Penn State and former Pres. of Nebraska, was in touch with Perlman all along letting him know that Nebraska was steering into headwinds coming from his Big10 cohort as far as the AAU was concerned.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I thought we were on track to 4 super-conferences too, but a funny thing has happened in the last week or so. The Big 10 and ACC seem pretty happy where they are, and don't want to expand, nor does anyone seem to want to leave the ACC. I think the SEC barely has internal support for adding A&M and one other, so 16 is probably out of the question, even if they could find 3 more teams to add. The Pac 12 seems to be the only league interested in expanding to 16, and then only if Texas and Oklahoma are two of the additional four teams.

There are a dozen potential scenarios, but one of the more likely is that Missouri is the SEC's 14th team, and Kansas and KState and someone else join the Big East. It would seem like Baylor would be the winner in that situation, but Houston is still a possibility. I think the hoops schools would love Kansas in the league from a draw perspective, since most of them play in big city arenas where they depend on walk up crowd to sell tickets. Kansas State would be acceptable. There are a bunch of different ways to go on the 12th team.
that would be interesting. seriously at some point the BE will need to dump the hoops only schools. or create 2 divisions or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom