ESPN re-ranks the top 25 players in WCBB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN re-ranks the top 25 players in WCBB

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think that the recency factor has Harris so high on the list. She is a quality court general for her strong squad, but I have never seen her as high on a national player list as #6. Check her overall stats this season.

Your list seems that it was significantly impacted by what you have seen the players do against UConn, rather than what each player has put together for the entire season for her squad.

She's put up huge numbers in all of SC's big games. Took over vs. Mississippi State, was the best player vs. UCONN and soundly outplayed Te'a Cooper against Baylor. Her stats aren't great (neither are Lauren Cox's) but it's clear Harris impacts the game at a higher level than anyone else for South Carolina who is #1 in the country. She is also a hawk defensively. SC deserves representation and she's the standout.

Reaction Score
So please help me to understand: Are ESPN's calculations of collegiate top players off only for UConn because they seem to work and compute out for every other team? Oregon has three top 15 players and they are a top 5 team, SC has has two players in the top 16 and they are a top 5 team. Oregon State has a few in the top 15 and they are a top 10. UConn has three top 15 players but it doesn't translate into being a top 5 school. Question: How come this simple formula--having top players equals having a top team--pretty much works for every team except us?
No one plays 3 on 3.

Reaction Score
Kind of a weird list IMO. Far too low are:
Michaela Onyenwere-12
Aliyah Boston-13
Ty Harris-16
Nalyssa Smith-22

Over ranked are:
Walker-8
Hebard-5
Evans-7
Carter-10
Williams-15

I just don't get how they put Harris below all 3 UCONN players immediately after she dominated the game. Cushy stats are nice but what you do in big games tells a lot more about a player IMO. Williams will get better but doesn't deserve to be on this list based on her play this season.
The article was probably written before that game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Doyle from Iowa should be higher.

If only one player from Stanford is chosen, I think I would lean toward Lexie Hull rather than Kiana Williams. She does some of everything for them, including leading them in scoring and rebounding.

I won't get into pointing out various players I think are too high, but I have to say as much as it pains me that Pivec has been too inconsistent to be #6.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
She's put up huge numbers in all of SC's big games. Took over vs. Mississippi State, was the best player vs. UCONN and soundly outplayed Te'a Cooper against Baylor. Her stats aren't great (neither are Lauren Cox's) but it's clear Harris impacts the game at a higher level than anyone else for South Carolina who is #1 in the country. She is also a hawk defensively. SC deserves representation and she's the standout.
Doesn't take away from all her stellar performances you mentioned, but she did have a poor game vs. Indiana.

Reaction Score
Doyle from Iowa should be higher.

If only one player from Stanford is chosen, I think I would lean toward Lexie Hull rather than Kiana Williams. She does some of everything for them, including leading them in scoring and rebounding.

I won't get into pointing out various players I think are too high, but I have to say as much as it pains me that Pivec has been too inconsistent to be #6.
I think Pivec needs to shoot more if OSU is going to do anything in the postseason. Very difficult to score more than 15 points a game when you are taking 10.5 shots per game. She is shooting very well from the field (52.4%) once again this season, but is taking fewer shots per game. She needs to look aggressively for her shot more if OSU is going to be more efficient on offense, especially with 6'6" frosh Kennedy Brown now lost for the season due to a knee injury.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
The article was probably written before that game.

True. Even so, aside from maybe Harris and maybe Williams I figured they'd think higher of Onyenwere and Smith.

Reaction Score
Michaela Onyenwere-12
Aliyah Boston-13
Ty Harris-16
Nalyssa Smith-22

Over ranked are:
Walker-8
Hebard-5
Evans-7
Carter-10
Williams-15

I just don't get how they put Harris below all 3 UCONN players immediately after she dominated the game. Cushy stats are nice but what you do in big games tells a lot more about a player IMO. Williams will get better but doesn't deserve to be on this list based on her play this season.
Remember, it's not like these are coaches or experts making these lists. These are just fans like you giving an opinion. Just filling space on a website.

Reaction Score
No one plays 3 on 3.
I see your point--true it isn't a game of 3 on 3, but my point is about the under performance of our two top 15 players, CW and MW, while other top 5 teams's top players are performing to the level of a top tier player. If CW and MW were able to play to the level of their supposed status in the Baylor, Oregon and SC games, we would not have suffered these lop-sided defeats. As a comparative, CW and MW are not on the level of the other top tier players--at least they are not performing to it. So they are either overrated or under performing...

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Michaela Onyenwere-12
Aliyah Boston-13
Ty Harris-16
Nalyssa Smith-22

Over ranked are:
Walker-8
Hebard-5
Evans-7
Carter-10
Williams-15

Also in the "far too low group should be...

Chrystal Dangerfield

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Remember, it's not like these are coaches or experts making these lists. These are just fans like you giving an opinion. Just filling space on a website.

Isnt it Creme and other writers who specialize in women's basketball?

Reaction Score
Yes. The writers are ESPN women's college basketball analysts. They tend to watch more basketball than most of us. Probably more qualified than most of us to provide their opinions. I will begrudgingly give them that.

Reaction Score
What a joke. Boston should be Top 5 any any list. It's not just the stats, but few influence a game like she is doing. MW at #8?? Geez - no WNBA team would draft her in the 1st round right now.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The thing that jumps out at me is no mid-major players. I don't get to see too many mid-major games, but I've seen South Dakota three times, and Ciara Duffy has been really impressive. I'd take her on my team over about half the players on this list.

Reaction Score
Watch her play.

Numbers don't lie.

she is not the second best performing player in the country this year.
she's a good player. She makes Baylor better.

but She's less productive and less efficient than many other players in the country this year. Call it injury or whatever you want, but it's a fact.

I think she looks like a good basketball player who is struggling offensively when I watch her.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
What a joke. Boston should be Top 5 any any list. It's not just the stats, but few influence a game like she is doing. MW at #8?? Geez - no WNBA team would draft her in the 1st round right now.

She's good but I wouldnt put her top 5 yet. In terms of potential, absolutely though.

Walker would easily be a first round pick. She projects quite well to be a SF in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Lauren Cox is shooting 43% from the field and averaging 11 and 8 in 29 MPG for a stacked Baylor team.

She shouldn't be #2.
This isn't stat spreadsheet contest based on this year only. It's like here are the best players like were are going to start a league and draft players to win on the court. You can't leave out the stuff that isn't on the stat sheets like the intimidating presence factor of being 6'5 giant that with guard skills and a 7ft wing span.

Reaction Score
This isn't stat spreadsheet contest based on this year only. It's like here are the best players like were are going to start a league and draft players to win on the court. You can't leave out the stuff that isn't on the stat sheets like the intimidating presence factor of being 6'5 giant that with guard skills and a 7ft wing span.

This isn't argument so much as it is sentiment.

I could make the same kind of vague statement about anyone to explain away the failure of the stats to deliver a case.

Reaction Score
Yes, like I said, Creme and writers are fans who specialize as much as you do. They watch the games and form opinions. Anybody can do that. Form a website, you know as much as they do.

Reaction Score
Only top 5? I thought she was generational. Whatever that means. Still waiting to hear your criteria for that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that the recency factor has Harris so high on the list. She is a quality court general for her strong squad, but I have never seen her as high on a national player list as #6. Check her overall stats this season.

Your list seems that it was significantly impacted by what you have seen the players do against UConn, rather than what each player has put together for the entire season for her squad.
No, it isn't the just the UConn game. She's amazing just about all year. I don't know what factors you consider important. I am looking at everything, not just popular stats people like use. I mean she is better than "quality" floor general. She is a GREAT floor general this year. Her assist to turnover ratio is fantastic. Second to none at a running the fast break. She plays great defense, and is shooting it well. .416 from the field and .378 from behind the arc. Her stats are not why she is a great player but they certainly are not a weakness for her either. Also, she is excellent at controlling the pace and tempo of the game which is more important that people like to give credit for. And she is a 90% free throw shooter which is important at the end of games.

Reaction Score
Doesn't take away from all her stellar performances you mentioned, but she did have a poor game vs. Indiana.
Right and the next game was Baylor and she had a big game and was diving all over the floor even and in the post game she said she was slacking and took the blame for the loss basically. And that is when the team got kicked into high gear.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom