ESPN Pushing UConn to ACC Story Again | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ESPN Pushing UConn to ACC Story Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the ACC, we'd be 4th in total number of championships in sports other than football. In the B1G, we'd be 11th.

Reaction Score
We'd be tied for number one in championships in men's basketball, number one in women's basketball, and of course, last in hockey, but half of the B1G doesn't play hockey. To the B1G, those are really the only relevant championships. Problem is, we're not going to the B1G.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We'd be tied for number one in championships in men's basketball, number one in women's basketball, and of course, last in hockey, but half of the B1G doesn't play hockey. To the B1G, those are really the only relevant championships. Problem is, we're not going to the B1G.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
"Or are we?"

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The real problem going forward: UConn isn't accretive to a conference by itself. How many conferences require 2 teams to re-open?

BYU, UConn, Rutgers, and Louisville are still outside looking in. USF and Houston could move into this pack. Or Southern Miss. Or East Carolina. Or UCF. Or UTSA.

Reaction Score
Upstater, one other possibility:

One of the objectors (FSU?) bolts before the $50mm departure fee can be enforced and the ACC has to add another member.

The exit fee is already enacted. 3 times the operating costs, or around $50 million at the moment. There is no escaping it at this point.

Reaction Score
I don't think the ACC makes another move for a while. I think they can afford to wait and watch the landscape of college athletics. Wait to see how UConn basketball responds to the coaching change. Wait to see how the Big 12 reacts to having FSU, Clemson, and ND off the table for potential new members. Wait to see if any changes force Notre Dame to look harder at full time membership.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The exit fee is already enacted. 3 times the operating costs, or around $50 million at the moment. There is no escaping it at this point.
From what I understand FSU voted no to this (along with three other schools).

As a precedent, in the summer of 2003, after the BE lost Miami & Va Tech, the conference voted immediately to increase exit fees. All voted yes with the exception of BC who abstained (not even as committed as a no vote). When BC left, they went to court over the increased exit fee the BE was attempting to impose and won.

Tell me, if FSU jumps in the very near future, how will their situation be different?

pj

Reaction Score
From what I understand FSU voted no to this (along with three other schools).

As a precedent, in the summer of 2003, after the BE lost Miami & Va Tech, the conference voted immediately to increase exit fees. All voted yes with the exception of BC who abstained (not even as committed as a no vote). When BC left, they went to court over the increased exit fee the BE was attempting to impose and won.

Tell me, if FSU jumps in the very near future, how will their situation be different?

It all depends on what rights BC had signed away in its Big East contract and Florida State signed away in its ACC contract. If the contracts are the same then FSU's situation would be the same.

I'm with you, it seems doubtful that 8 schools can unilaterally raise exit fees to infinity and compel other schools to remain members against their will in perpetuity. That bears a close resemblance to slavery. I doubt it would be enforceable. There must be some standards of "reasonableness" as far as alterations to exit/termination provisions.

Reaction Score
From what I have read the no votes came from FSU and Maryland... and no one else.

I don't know enough about the specifics of the BC court case. But the impression I have been given is that FSU would have a very hard time fighting this in court, and is highly unlikely to do so.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens next. The sheer number of people in Big 12 country who are now reporting that the poaching of FSU and Clemson is practically dead is definitely a big turn around from the last few months.

Reaction Score
From what I have read the no votes came from FSU and Maryland... and no one else.

I don't know enough about the specifics of the BC court case. But the impression I have been given is that FSU would have a very hard time fighting this in court, and is highly unlikely to do so.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens next. The sheer number of people in Big 12 country who are now reporting that the poaching of FSU and Clemson is practically dead is definitely a big turn around from the last few months.

The fact that it was raised to $50 million speaks volumes. The ACC is training its guns on its own.

Reaction Score
ESPN had already informed the Big 12, long before all the rumors started by west virginia bloggers, there would be no increase for adding Florida St and Clemson. Texas also has the LHN run by whom ESPN , there is no way they are going to do anything, to jeopardize their 15 million gift for each of 20 years.

pj

Reaction Score
Please, Big Ten, go for NYC with UConn and Rutgers. I don't want to be beholden to ESPN in the ACC, screwed out of playoff money in the NBE, or stuck with opponents 2000 miles away in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Mike Tirico on ESPN Sportsbeat on ESPN radio just now: "Look for UConn to be courted hard and pushed to join the ACC as the 16th"

Why does ESPN keep pushing it if they don't want it to happen?

You're assuming that Tirico is just a mouthpiece for ESPN. I highly doubt that. Hard as it is for some to believe, he might actually be giving his opinion.

Reaction Score
It just doesn't make sense for them to go to 15 football playing members.

From a scheduling perspective, an odd number of Olympic teams is problematic.

Think of basketball. Once you get past Xmas, you're essentially only playing conference opponents. More of a challenge to schedule with an odd number. Even worse for the other sports, which basically only play in/around the weekend.

Yes, doable, (Didn't the BE have 13 for a couple of years?) but more of a hassle.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame will be playing what makes out to be 62.5% of a conference schedule. I guess they just won't have to play the championship game to get to a higher bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom