Espn power rankings | The Boneyard

Espn power rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's where they have us ranked so I guess there is some consistency in that sense but to say that is our ceiling may be a bit short-sighted. Then again, I doubt they gave us even that much credit last season. How many times do we have to burn these guys? No doubt we have some question marks but we also have some good candidates to provide answers. That's the beauty of it, we get to watch it all actually unfold before our eyes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That's where they have us ranked so I guess there is some consistency in that sense but to say that is our ceiling may be a bit short-sighted. Then again, I doubt they gave us even that much credit last season. How many times do we have to burn these guys? No doubt we have some question marks but we also have some good candidates to provide answers. That's the beauty of it, we get to watch it all actually unfold before our eyes.
I have no problem where they start us or most teams for that matter. Outside of one or two teams, most of the best analytical posters in this forum would have similar preseason rankings. What is most annoying to me is how long they stick with their preseason rankings when evidence proves otherwise until finally admitting they were wrong. You would hope these analysts would be objective. But they aren't. Fortunately the bb season is long enough and has a lot of cross conference play to determine the best teams. It essentially eliminates most of the ego bias. This is not the case with football.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11754505/college-basketball-top-25-power-rankings

whats uconns best case scenario this year? Title #5? Final 4?

According to joe lunardi the best we can hope for if everything goes right is we would be a "sweet 16 caliber team"

Well ... I HATE Joe Lunardi. But, that tag is under Jay Bilas & I really admire both his take on CBB and his opinion - usually.

One guy, a Amida Brimah for instance, can make a huge difference in the arc of a Program one year. You simply see this is going to develop over time & I think WE can be better than 2013-2014 come conference play (with the proviso that Shabazz's special sauce isn't available for game changing moments). And then March is just not worth speculating; except ... UConn has a pedigree that we play better than most any other Program that month.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how they can project us as a #4 seed and then say Sweet 16 is the best-case scenario. If we're a #4 seed, then Sweet 16 should be the average outcome, not the best case.

I would say,
Best case: Facey goes from DNP to DD-Lite, Brimah becomes a threat on offense as well as a strong post-up defender and rebounder (and elite shot-blocker, needless to say), Purvis and Boat co-exist in the backcourt while shooting 40% from deep, and Daniel Hamilton steps in immediately with scoring from the wing. After a solid non-conference performance, we cruise through the weak AAC schedule and hang around #10 in the rankings all year. We earn a #2-#3 seed and an Elite 8 appearance, with a reasonable shot at a Final Four.

Worst case: The 4/5 offer no offensive threat, and outside shooting suffers. We slog through a bunch of hideous offensive games with Boat and Purvis slashing into the paint with minimal success. Hamilton is not the stud we thought we were getting. We go 0-4 against Florida, Duke, Texas, and Stanford and plummet out of the rankings. The lack of marquee wins late in the year prevents us from getting back into the Top 25, and we languish in "others receiving votes". We earn a #9 seed in the Tournament and bow out in the first round against a well-coached mid-major.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don't understand how they can project us as a #4 seed and then say Sweet 16 is the best-case scenario. If we're a #4 seed, then Sweet 16 should be the average outcome, not the best case.

I would say,
Best case: Facey goes from DNP to DD-Lite, Brimah becomes a threat on offense as well as a strong post-up defender and rebounder (and elite shot-blocker, needless to say), Purvis and Boat co-exist in the backcourt while shooting 40% from deep, and Daniel Hamilton steps in immediately with scoring from the wing. After a solid non-conference performance, we cruise through the weak AAC schedule and hang around #10 in the rankings all year. We earn a #2-#3 seed and an Elite 8 appearance, with a reasonable shot at a Final Four.

Worst case: The 4/5 offer no offensive threat, and outside shooting suffers. We slog through a bunch of hideous offensive games with Boat and Purvis slashing into the paint with minimal success. Hamilton is not the stud we thought we were getting. We go 0-4 against Florida, Duke, Texas, and Stanford and plummet out of the rankings. The lack of marquee wins late in the year prevents us from getting back into the Top 25, and we languish in "others receiving votes". We earn a #9 seed in the Tournament and bow out in the first round against a well-coached mid-major.

And thus, a pre-season ranking in the mid-teens. I guess that's why they play the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom