ESPN Poll: IS UConn a legit F4 threat? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN Poll: IS UConn a legit F4 threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we continue to get nothing in the post we arent going anywhere. If this team comes up against a team that has a legit big or bigs that can rebound and score with guards who can shoot we`ll lose by 20. Unless Brimah develops into a consistant 6/6/4 guy every night we are done. i have no faith in olander nor nolan whom i have to say are just plain terrible.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As a political junkie, I will say that map is not very encouraging. Mild support in the ACC states, little support in the Big 10 states.
Interesting observation. I guess we'll just have win the whole thing, then..

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Any team? Since 85, only 6 teams seeded 8 or higher (worse) have made it to the final four (6 out of 1008 teams). Only 1 of those made it to the championship game (Nova in 85). So only 1 team outside the top 30 (figuring 1-7 seeds X 4 ~ top 30) has ever won it and no others played for it. You pretty much have to be a top 25 team to have a chance.

Clearly they didn't have a good draw AND some breaks. ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Florida will be much better come March. So will we, but the key is how much of that improvement comes in the front court.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Last night was close. FL has injuries including the one that occurred with 3 minutes left. Then picture facing 3 or 4 of those teams in a row to get to a final 4.

You just described Florida. There are very few teams in the country with front lines that physically imposing.[/quo

Reaction Score
Last night was close. FL has injuries including the one that occurred with 3 minutes left. Then picture facing 3 or 4 of those teams in a row to get to a final 4.
Sure they had some bad things happen, but young was also playing like a lotto pick.

Reaction Score
Any team? Since 85, only 6 teams seeded 8 or higher (worse) have made it to the final four (6 out of 1008 teams). Only 1 of those made it to the championship game (Nova in 85). So only 1 team outside the top 30 (figuring 1-7 seeds X 4 ~ top 30) has ever won it and no others played for it. You pretty much have to be a top 25 team to have a chance.

3 teams seeded 8 or higher have done it in the last three years (Butler in '11, VCU in '11, and Wichita State last year) and Butler actually did make it to the championship game. And if you go back to 06, you'll find another 11 seed who should not be named in the final four, and in 2008, a Davidson team that was one possession away from beating one of the best teams of the decade in 08 Kansas. So while it's obviously significantly unlikely to make it there seeded eight or higher, I think Husky25's post has some merit.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
love the hate from the bluegrass state and KU

NC vote not so bad

pretty amazing the entire big ten country doesn't like us. Dudes, if you wanted to win a few national championships for your conference, you could have invited us

evidently you prefer your wannabe status

Reaction Score

Have you ever watched college basketball before? Is it supposed to be easy to win tournament games against good teams? Do you realize how "close" some of our tourney games were in 2011?

My goodness. We have people complaining that we didn't beat Florida by enough points.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Have you ever watched college basketball before? Is it supposed to be easy to win tournament games against good teams? Do you realize how "close" some of our tourney games were in 2011?

My goodness. We have people complaining that we didn't beat Florida by enough points.

Not sure where that came from, but I will be sure to destroy my laptop and never speak again.
The discussion was about how hard or easy it would be to get to the final 4. As dedicated a fan as I am, I think UCONN needs to improve in the front court to do so. I think Florida showed that. We beat a #15 team, beset with injuries, players just returning from suspension, and beat them in a great 1 point game. We will need to be better facing Arizona, Kansas, etc to get into the final four. Yes, we need to improve. Florida will.
You turned this into my knowing nothing and being unsatisfied with the win? It was an incredible win!
We are a few months from being banned from tournaments and are doing fantast

Reaction Score
Need to have consistent play from the bigs if we want any chance at getting to a final 4. Florida exposed our weakness.
Forget the f4. If we get consistent play (on both O and D) from our bigs, we will win it all. Also Florida played a very good game. Undermanned, in a hostile atmosphere, their seniors rose to the occasion. Not sure they can play us much better; and yet we won a close one.

Reaction Score
Bilas has us EIGHT spots behind Florida in his 'index'. Does that make ANY sense?

Florida was missing a lot of players and they almost beat us at Uconn. To show sample of what they are missing--Walker and Hill

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In fairness to us, we aren't exactly clicking on all cylinders. A key player, Omar Calhoun just had surgery and is not playing well at all. We are playing freshman in the post quite a bit and one one of our better reserves, Kromah is a transfer with little experience with his teammates. We are going to get much better as the season goes on.

I realize UF is without some players, but they had other guys step up and play huge games. They had 4 seniors playing big minutes last night. They weren't going to get 20 points each from 5 different guys so I'm not sure injuries hurt them much against us. I watch them a lot, they played great by their standards against a very good team.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I thought we played like garbage last night for a few stretches. But a win's a win and I'll take it over a ranked opponent any day. Florida is a whole different team with Hill and Walker though. Probably top 10 maybe top 6.

pj

Reaction Score
I was very impressed with Florida, especially with players out. They are going to be a major contender in March.

I thought we would be a Final Four team before the season started, but right now, I think they're reasonably ranked in the top 15. They are going to have a terrific season, but there's a lot of improvement needed to become a Final Four contender, and not just at the 5 spot. Deandre has to get tougher battling inside, Boat has to become an efficient scorer, Omar has to improve all aspects of his game, Giffey and Kromah have to learn how to fit in on offense, Brimah needs to learn the game, Nolan needs to be able to play solid without fouling. I like the path they are on. They play hard and play as a team. Just need a lot of things to come together.

Reaction Score
Uconn was short handed a lot last year and way they Florida lost is the way we lost to G-town last year on that Otto Porter shot. Comparative scores don't mean anything and you can play the could've, should've, wouldve if that if this if not game all day but it won't get you anywhere. I expect Florida to be better come March as they always are but why can other teams be better by March but Uconn can't?

There is no question their big men have to play better, but no team is unbeatable and if we don't do it this year we load up again next year with Purvis, Hamilton, and Prince Ali and take another shot at it. At least this year we get to find out.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Pretty much all the blue states give UConn at least a 40% chance except KY, NM, NE. What the heck did UConn ever do to Nebraska to piss 'em off?

Reaction Score
Florida was missing a lot of players and they almost beat us at Uconn. To show sample of what they are missing--Walker and Hill

I know people are saying this a bit and it's true, for depth purposes at the very least. But we shouldn't overstate things. Walker is going to bump out Yeguete, who has been playing pretty great for them. As for Hill, he's strictly a back up at this point. He'll only be taking Wilbekin's minutes, and Wilbekin is very good. They're not going two guards out there because a good chunk of their scoring comes from Finney at the 2. As for Harris, Donovan has written him off a bit as never coming back, and even if he did, how is he going to play in front of Young, Walker and Yeguete? So, other than Walker, the guys that are out are really extra parts. With Walker and Hill, they have a lot more depth, but I'm not sure you're going to see more intensity or more efficiency or production than what you saw the other night, esp. with Young throwing up shots and seeing everything go in.

Reaction Score
Florida isnt a good shooting team their guards attack the basket

Frazier and Wilbekin are very good 3-point shooters. Frazier in particular is 23 for 44 on the year from 3, we just happened to keep him in check.

Reaction Score
Except for the Pit Stain state of Kentucky I thought we did very well overall. I am a bit surprised they can afford internet over there. Aren't they one of the poorest states around?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Looks like more of ACC country has our back then B1G country. What the fcuck is up with Delaware? Anybody in the grey states want to cast the tie-breaking vote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom