ESPN negotiations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone who tries to convince themselves that the NBE is better than the ACC needs to put down the bottle.

Reaction Score
The fact is the ACC has big name programs. Big name programs that will be on ESPN, thus promoted on Sportscenter and game day and ACC Wednesday. They don't care that Oscar Robertson played at Cincinnati or Denny Crum had Success at Louisville or about Nova's run in the 80's. they are just as concerned about highlight shows and uniform options

Reaction Score
How the heck is Pitt a top tier program? Who did they produce? DeJuan Blair? Cincinnati produced more NBA talent than Pitt. So has Memphis. And Temple. And Georgetown. And Houston. And Marquette. And Villanova. (WTF?!?!!?)
Pitt has been one of the better programs in the be. Unless they take a turn for the worse, they will be one of the top bb programs in the acc...

Reaction Score
Pitt has been one of the better programs in the be. Unless they take a turn for the worse, they will be one of the top bb programs in the acc...
They're a top team until it means something. Kill my brackets every year... and I keep falling for it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Pitt is completely dependent on two excellent coaches and New York City. There is very little Big East caliber talent produced by Pittsburgh or Western PA. Pitt has no more competitive advantage in Philadelphia than any other Big East or ACC team. Howland and Dixon have been able to recruit very well in New York, but with Pitt out of the Big East, there is no guarantee that will continue. With Pitt out of the Big East, it becomes no different than the 80 other major or top mid-major programs that recruit in New York City. I expect recruiting to take a hit.

Howland and Dixon have made Pitt one of the top programs in the Big East despite Pitt having no natural competitive advantages, but Pitt still doesn't have a Final Four, and Pitt's record of putting talent in the NBA is spotty. I would not be surprised to see Dixon jump in the next year as he looks at Pitt's prospects in the ACC and the drying up of his recruiting pipeline.

Reaction Score
Pitt is completely dependent on two excellent coaches and New York City. There is very little Big East caliber talent produced by Pittsburgh or Western PA. Pitt has no more competitive advantage in Philadelphia than any other Big East or ACC team. Howland and Dixon have been able to recruit very well in New York, but with Pitt out of the Big East, there is no guarantee that will continue. With Pitt out of the Big East, it becomes no different than the 80 other major or top mid-major programs that recruit in New York City. I expect recruiting to take a hit.

Howland and Dixon have made Pitt one of the top programs in the Big East despite Pitt having no natural competitive advantages, but Pitt still doesn't have a Final Four, and Pitt's record of putting talent in the NBA is spotty. I would not be surprised to see Dixon jump in the next year as he looks at Pitt's prospects in the ACC and the drying up of his recruiting pipeline.

It's possible this is true. It's also possible its 100% false. It's the same argument that can be made about any number of schools.

Although I somewhat understand the logic that recruiting New York will not be as easy post-Big East, there's also little to suggest it cannot be done. Pittsburgh under Dixon rarely played in New York anyways. When a recruit went there, they knew that the majority of games would not be in the state of New York. That won't radically change. The uncertain variable is how the ACC and Big East change, both on the court and perception wise.

I guess the bigger question is where the recruits Pittsburgh was getting would go? Do they suddenly choose Seton Hall or St. John's or Villanova? Outside of conference affiliation, there's little difference between these schools before and after the switch?

Reaction Score
Jericho I tend to agree with you. I actually do think that Pitt can be fine. You play 1 game a year in New York City plus a couple if your lucky in the Big East Tourney. It isn't as if all dixon's New York contacts suddenly don't answer the phone because he's now in the ACC. And whose to say Pitt won't continue to play a NY game? And you sell kids on playing Duke and UNC every year...I don't know that you can be sure it works, but it seems to me that it isn't anywhere near impossible.

Reaction Score

I think you are right.
UofL is riding that NYC wave right now.

Reaction Score
And there you have it :oops:

MHver3@MHver3
Firm controlling BigEast tv negotiations advising BE officials to take the contract to the open market

Reaction Score
And there you have it :oops:

MHver3@MHver3
Firm controlling BigEast tv negotiations advising BE officials to take the contract to the open market
And the door for UL, RU, and possibly 2 more of USF, UC, and UConn to the B12 slowly begins to inch back open.

Reaction Score
Just sharing the thoughts of the well dressed alien:

“@TuxedoYoda: Big East is about to announce its new TV deal, split between 2 networks, & they think the #s are there to finally lure in BYU.”

Who knows... But Halloween is coming soon.

Reaction Score
And the door for UL, RU, and possibly 2 more of USF, UC, and UConn to the B12 slowly begins to inch back open.

Never closed. That could go down any second.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Wait a minute, wait a minute. I know that a flush beats a straight, but who wins in a disagreement between Tuxedo Yoda and MHVer??? :confused:

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Wait a minute, wait a minute. I know that a flush beats a straight, but who wins in a disagreement between Tuxedo Yoda and MHVer??? :confused:

how was i not included in this?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The Mayans win. 71 days until the apocalypse.

now that i have been reminded of this, i now give up on warde, P and KO as none of it will matter soon.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I have to think that if the Big 12 was willing to do that, it would have already done it. ESPN has been running around financing raids of the Big East, and is rumored to have made a strong push to the Big 12 to raid the Big East. 3 more weeks.

I would not be surprised if the Big East signs with NBC within a couple of days of Halloween.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I have to think that if the Big 12 was willing to do that, it would have already done it. ESPN has been running around financing raids of the Big East, and is rumored to have made a strong push to the Big 12 to raid the Big East. 3 more weeks.

I would not be surprised if the Big East signs with NBC within a couple of days of Halloween.

Hopefully ESPN has financed one final raid by Halloween and UConn is Big XII bound....

Reaction Score

“@TuxedoYoda: Big East is about to announce its new TV deal, split between 2 networks, & they think the #s are there to finally lure in BYU.”

Isn't the Big East still in its exclusive negotiating window with ESPN? How would it sign elsewhere?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Isn't the Big East still in its exclusive negotiating window with ESPN? How would it sign elsewhere?

as long as espn is all set up as 1 of them its fair game from there. hopefully its fox or nbc as the 2nd network.

Reaction Score

Hmmm - closer than what MHVer is saying but...

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/10/08/Media/Sports-Media.aspx

"Now that Major League Baseball has completed media rights deals with ESPN, Fox and Turner, I am turning my attention to the next batch of sports TV negotiations. In the next six months, U.S. TV rights deals for the Big East, English Premier League, BCS and NASCAR should be complete or nearly finished.

The most interesting part of these deals is to see what NBC gets. The network has been active in every negotiation over the past couple of years and is looking to land at least one big fish to bring more viewers and advertisers to NBC Sports Network.

It also will be interesting to see whether any new networks swoop in to try to pick up sports rights. Everyone is waiting to see if Al Jazeera’s BeIN Sport will bid high enough to get EPL rights.

I asked four of the country’s top sports media consultants to handicap how they see these negotiations playing out. Most thought Fox would be more aggressive as it looks to rebrand its motorsports channel Speed into an all-sports channel. Most didn’t consider NBC to be a front-runner for any of the available packages.

Big East: The majority believes ESPN and Fox will split the package.

Lee Berke, president and CEO of LHB Sports, Entertainment & Media: “ESPN [will win because of] the advantages of incumbency plus the desire to retain an important part of the network’s heritage.”

Len DeLuca, founder of Len DeLuca & Associates: “While NBCU should be favored, a split deal like the Pac-12 or new Atlantic 10 deal is possible, with ESPN and Fox the likely partners.”

Ed Desser, president of Desser Sports Media, “CBS [will win] due to history, Fox and ESPN deals with other conferences, and a desire to use CBS Sports Network on a package that isn’t what it used to be.”

Joel Lulla, professor at the University of Texas: “The Big East will be shared between Fox and ESPN. Notre Dame leaving the Big East could dampen NBC’s appetite to pay a premium for the product.”

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Just a side note to this...I really hope beInSports doesn't get the rights to EPL. I've really become addicted to watching soccer over the past year or so and I currently don't get that channel and I believe only Comcast carries the network on Cable. I'm hoping ESPN/Fox Soccer retain the rights. Unfortunately a lot of things are pointing towards BeIn getting the deal as they would own the rights to every major European Soccer League if they nab the EPL deal.

Reaction Score
as long as espn is all set up as 1 of them its fair game from there. hopefully its fox or nbc as the 2nd network.

I don't think it works that way. Granted, I am not privy to the actual contract language. But exclusive means just that. The Big East cannot agree to anything else. Why would ESPN voluntarily waive that (the only way this would work)? And even if ESPN did waive that, how did a deal get struck so quickly?

pj

Reaction Score
ESPN would have to have been the one who brought Fox in. It does make a certain amount of sense in light of the Notre Dame to ACC deal which does suggest that NBC wasn't willing to pay up big.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just a side note to this...I really hope beInSports doesn't get the rights to EPL. I've really become addicted to watching soccer over the past year or so and I currently don't get that channel and I believe only Comcast carries the network on Cable.

It would suck for awhile, but cable systems would have to add it eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom