ESPN names their preseason All-Americans | The Boneyard

ESPN names their preseason All-Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
KML is getting (slightly) disrespected here. Who wouldn't rather have her than Alyssa Thomas? Much more scoring, more consistency, more of an all-around game.

Umm lets be honest here. KML is an outstanding player, best shooter in the country, and everyone here loves her, but.... Alyssa has a better all around game then KML. She lead her conference in scoring, rebounding, and assist last year with 18.8ppl 10.3rpg, and 5.3apg. KML numbers last year for comparison 17.6ppl, 6.3rpg, and 2.3apg.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Would any1 have any objection if KML made 1st team and Stewie was 2nd team? Who is the best player on this years team?

U

UCONNfan1

I actually can't argue with those selections at all. I think Alyssa deserves preseason to be on the 1st team and based on the entirety of last year, you really should switch Stewie and KML. By the end of the season, of course these names might change, but the fact remains that UCONN is so deep and so talented at every position that individual numbers might be "less than" for some of the UCONN stars.

UCONN fans can argue that as a team, UCONN held Alyssa to season lows when they play, just like they did with Chiney, but there were a number of games last year where KML was held to a low scoring output. Was it a bad game? Great defense by the other team? Either way it's hard to argue that KML has a better all around game than Alyssa and therefore deserves to be 1st team.

Geno has said KML is often the best player on the court, and I think he may have said this year that she's the best player on the team. But these ESPN lists are only preseason and KML has the entire year to show if/why she deserves to be 1st team. Honestly, tho, there's no shame in being named to the 2nd team as a junior...

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
What stuck out to me the most is the Conference Champs.

The Big10 and the Big East are up in the air. Should be interesting.

and I do think Duke and Tennessee could get challenged in their respective conferences.

Reaction Score
I would have taken either McBride or KML over Gray. Both have a better all around game.

Reaction Score
Coach Auriemma thinks Mosqueda-Lewis is the best player in the country, and I'd say he has a pretty good eye for talent. After all she was the #1 recruit in her class. I think UConn wasn't getting more than 1 first teamer on the list no matter what just to make it seem fair, but let's be real, no coach is going to pick Thomas over Mosqueda-Lewis if given the choice.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Umm lets be honest here. KML is an outstanding player, best shooter in the country, and everyone here loves her, but.... Alyssa has a better all around game then KML. She lead her conference in scoring, rebounding, and assist last year with 18.8ppl 10.3rpg, and 5.3apg. KML numbers last year for comparison 17.6ppl, 6.3rpg, and 2.3apg.
No, she is not. We had this discussion last week and AT's numbers are no better than KML's when minutes are accounted for. KML is a far better player than Alyssa right now with more more help which probably lowers her numbers. Talk to us after ND tears up the ACC this year. And if AT manages to score more than 15 points other than after the game is over. Be nice or we'll sic DD on you.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Based upon how many minutes per game? Just curious.

Reaction Score
All you have to do is look at her team. She had to have the ball all the time and she got considerably more minutes than did KML. Given the opportunities that she had, her numbers should be higher than KML because of all the extra floor time and the fact that Duke doesn't emphasize team nearly to the extent that UConn does. Geno doesn't allow any one player for UConn to dominate the floor at any time. UConn has always been far and way the most team oriented major women's basketball team and hence, their success.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Auriemma says that Mosqueda - Lewis is the best player on the team. That's
good enough for me.

Reaction Score
It's politically difficult for any rating group to pick two players from one team. When three are picked, it's almost impossible for fear of favoritism. These analysts need fan support to retain their jobs. I think having picked three UConn player on the two lists shows remarkable courage. It's unrealistic for us to expect more.

Reaction Score
And if you believe that I've got a guard in Knoxville I'd likr to sell you.

Reaction Score
Code:
        Games  Minutes   Points  Rebounds  Assist  Block  Steals
KML     38.00  1,146.00  670.00  240.00    89.00   12.00  57.00
Aylissa 34.00  1,163.00  640.00  349.00    181.00  26.00  61.00

Code:
         Per Game  Per Game  Per Game  Per Game   Per Game  Per Game
         Minutes   Points    Rebounds  Assist     Block     Steals
KML      30.16     17.63     6.32      2.34       0.32      1.50
Aylissa  34.21     18.82     10.26     5.32       0.76      1.79

Code:
        Per 40min  Per 40min  Per 40min  Per 40min  Per 40min
        Points     Rebounds   Assist     Block      Steals
KML     23.39      8.38       3.11       0.42       1.99
Aylissa 22.01      12.00      6.23       0.89       2.10

When you take the stats to per 40mins to account for differences with time on the court, Kalenna only pulls ahead in points per min. So, Kalenna is a better scorer per min played... other wise Alyssa is pulling down more rebounds, dishing out more assist, block more shots and coming away with more steals per minute. She has a better all around game. Or shall I say, played a better all around game last year. Kalenna looks like she is going to try and show she can do more this year... reference her play in the exhibition games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Code:
        Games  Minutes   Points  Rebounds  Assist  Block  Steals
KML     38.00  1,146.00  670.00  240.00    89.00   12.00  57.00
Aylissa 34.00  1,163.00  640.00  349.00    181.00  26.00  61.00

Code:
         Per Game  Per Game  Per Game  Per Game   Per Game  Per Game
         Minutes   Points    Rebounds  Assist     Block     Steals
KML      30.16     17.63     6.32      2.34       0.32      1.50
Aylissa  34.21     18.82     10.26     5.32       0.76      1.79

Code:
        Per 40min  Per 40min  Per 40min  Per 40min  Per 40min
        Points     Rebounds   Assist     Block      Steals
KML     23.39      8.38       3.11       0.42       1.99
Aylissa 22.01      12.00      6.23       0.89       2.10

When you take the stats to per 40mins to account for differences with time on the court, Kalenna only pulls ahead in points per min. So, Kalenna is a better scorer per min played... other wise Alyssa is pulling down more rebounds, dishing out more assist, block more shots and coming away with more steals per minute. She has a better all around game. Or shall I say, played a better all around game last year. Kalenna looks like she is going to try and show she can do more this year... reference her play in the exhibition games.
That's great and all, but stats don't tell the whole story. Given that a basketball team consists of five players on the court at any given time, stats are largely dependent on the other players around you. The best way to put it is if you have two players to choose from, Mosqueda-Lewis or Thomas, who do you pick? I'll bet most coaches will take Mosqueda-Lewis over Thomas 9 times out of 10.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I have no quarrel with Gray's talent but I'm not sure how you assume her game will be back to 100% following major reconstructive knee surgery. Were she to end up being named at the end of the season, fine. But right now, preseason, is a bit premature IMO.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I have no quarrel with Gray's talent but I'm not sure how you assume her game will be back to 100% following major reconstructive knee surgery. Were she to end up being named at the end of the season, fine. But right now, preseason, is a bit premature IMO.

I've seen her twice so far in person.... at the Blue/White Scrimmage on Oct 27... and this past Sunday at the exhibition game vs Coker. Her game is back to 100%... her conditioning isnt quite there yet though, but its close.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
All you have to do is look at her team. She had to have the ball all the time and she got considerably more minutes than did KML. Given the opportunities that she had, her numbers should be higher than KML because of all the extra floor time and the fact that Duke doesn't emphasize team nearly to the extent that UConn does. Geno doesn't allow any one player for UConn to dominate the floor at any time. UConn has always been far and way the most team oriented major women's basketball team and hence, their success.
The comment you're referencing compared KML to Alyssa Thomas, not Chelsea Gray. Regardless, you wrote "Geno doesn't allow one player to dominate the floor at any time." Maryland had 2 player that starred last season, scoring 18.8 (Thomas) and 18 points (Hawkins) each, which was 25% and 24% of their total points scored. Maryland had a rash of injuries last season, so their reliance on Thomas was completely understandable. In Maya's senior year, she averaged 22.8 pts./game, which represented 30% of UConn's total points scored that season. You have to play with the cards you're dealt.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It cuts both ways on the KML/AT debate with regard to teammates on the court - KML benefits having a better team surrounding her in that a defense cannot simply focus on stopping her or her and one other player, but has to play 'honest' or be steamrolled by one of the other really good players. AT benefits because if she didn't do it no one else could so her team depended on and looked to her to lead them statistically in every game.
They are both really good players and any coach would jump at getting either of them I think. If I were a coach, it would depend on what else I had on the team to some extent as to which I would take.
OK - take of my objective glasses ... Are you kidding me - of course KML is the better player!:cool:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It's politically difficult for any rating group to pick two players from one team. When three are picked, it's almost impossible for fear of favoritism. These analysts need fan support to retain their jobs. I think having picked three UConn player on the two lists shows remarkable courage. It's unrealistic for us to expect more.

Same as when the Big East weekly awards used to go to players on other teams. Usually the best a UConn player could expect was a shared award.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bballmicmac

Top Bottom