. ESPN going to feature the conflict | The Boneyard

. ESPN going to feature the conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
after the broncos game. Coach whale pants has turned this program into a laughingstock

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Happened to see it. Began with a long lead in about Floyd of Rosedale and finally got to the point - the lonely trophy taken away when UCF ignored it.

Reaction Score
Happened to see it. Began with a long lead in about Floyd of Rosedale and finally got to the point - the lonely trophy taken away when UCF ignored it.

Could have been much worse. Gotta say Paul Bunyan's Axe is much cooler.

I think UCF should have taken it and hid it somewhere in the Rent.

Reaction Score
This is a funny story and the media is missing it. Diaco made up a dumb rivalry as a motivator. Nothing more. The only reason the trophy was even in the building Saturday was because it would have made him look worse if they wanted it and it wasn't there to give them. He should just say it so people will drop it.

Reaction Score
This is a funny story and the media is missing it. Diaco made up a dumb rivalry as a motivator. Nothing more. The only reason the trophy was even in the building Saturday was because it would have made him look worse if they wanted it and it wasn't there to give them. He should just say it so people will drop it.
Some of us know that. But unfortunately, Diaco is not too bright. Could have kept it in-house, at least.

Reaction Score
F ESPN. You guys put us in a rinky-dink league and now you have to kick us while we're down?

The American is a stupid conference with no regional identity. Diaco tried to make a rivalry game to hype up his kids and have a little fun, and ESPN says "LOL look at this guy, trying to be like the P5. No no, UConn, just play your games against your weird new opponents and quiet down"

And F Diaco for not following through with the stupid thing he created. Bring that piece of crap to midfield after your loss and hand it to the other guy. Make him take it. Make this a thing, if you really want it to be a thing.

Reaction Score
F ESPN. You guys put us in a rinky-dink league and now you have to kick us while we're down?

The American is a stupid conference with no regional identity. Diaco tried to make a rivalry game to hype up his kids and have a little fun, and ESPN says "LOL look at this guy, trying to be like the P5. No no, UConn, just play your games against your weird new opponents and quiet down"

And F Diaco for not following through with the stupid thing he created. Bring that piece of crap to midfield after your loss and hand it to the other guy. Make him take it. Make this a thing, if you really want it to be a thing.

I would say F UCF too. What did they have to lose by playing along with this gag, taking the trophy and staging a frenzied celebration at midfield. Then leave it on the bench on the way out.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
If the coaches and players do not get excited about playing each other, how do you sell it to fans & TV?

Most people compete for pride, if there is a trophy that represents the game, the players should take the trophy out of respect for themselves & their opponents.

UCF, get excited about what you do & have fun when you win. You were 0-12 last year. You carry the losses, may as well carry the trophies. Even if it is a goofie rivalry trophy - most of them are.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Sure it was a bad idea...but I give him credit for trying to build excitement in the program. He started this a couple years ago when he was early in tenure...and he was trying to put his stamp on the program. Did it work? No. Would he probably like to go back in time and not have started this? Probably. Would Benedict have let him do this if he was here then? Probably not.

Not a great idea....but...I am more concerned about other things with this team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A sad reality....I would go to the radio show and ask him about the stupid trophy...but.the question would get twisted into some type of recipe for goulash.
900x900px-LL-5eecca85_gallery8599671345741434.jpeg

Reaction Score

I think its less about ESPN and more about the fact that UCF had no interest whatsoever in a rivalry with uconn. Why force it?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
UConn (fans) have no interest whatsoever in a rivalry with UCF either. This is 100% fabricated by our head coach who was desperate to force a r1valry with literally *anyone* to use as a motivator for his players/program. Now it is a complete, national joke.

I hope this will put an end to this nonsense. I could not care less about UCF and am beyond frustrated that we opened ourselves up to be completely embarrassed by a school and program that is so much further down on the potential P5 food chain.

Reaction Score
I am on ESPN bandwagon.

How can you reside - and since I am NOT a taxpayer nor citizen of the fine state of Connecticut (but a stakeholder in the University) these are call on your legislators - and think you will never draw fire for the repeated disdainful behavior of this deserving State University. Many have said on the BY over the years that Government shouldn't be involved at this level ... why the hell not. Be a Public Servant and stand up to Bristol. It's time.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It baffles me how anyone can be mad about anything SVP said. He was way gentler than he could have been. He said he understood why Diaco did it, he didn't totally laugh at the idea.

Maybe try watching the clip before your internet outrage brigade suits up next time.

Reaction Score
From Noon Media Day:

Neill Ostrout ‏@NeillOstrout 3m 3 minutes ago
Diaco talking about the ConFLiCT sort of. Mentioning his discussions at AAC meetings about trophy games.

Neill Ostrout ‏@NeillOstrout 3m3 minutes ago
Diaco: I talked to exactly who I needed to talk to here (UConn) and there (UCF).

Neill Ostrout ‏@NeillOstrout 2m2 minutes ago
Diaco says UCF showed interest in a trophy game. Not clear if he means George O'Leary or an admin.

Neill Ostrout ‏@NeillOstrout 42s43 seconds ago
Diaco says ConFLiCT maybe has gotten more attention than the AAC championship game.

Neill Ostrout ‏@NeillOstrout 1m1 minute ago
Diaco: Very disappointing to me. Seem like a fun thing. .... It's gone.

Neill Ostrout ‏@NeillOstrout 41s42 seconds ago
Diaco: I didn't create this thing out of nowhere. ... This wasn't one-sided, until they decided that it should be.

Gavin Keefe@GavinKeefe 1 min ago
Sound like the whole Civil ConFLict thing is officially dead. Anybody looking for a trophy?

Ed Daigneault@EdDaigneault just now
Diaco says the trophy game was not something he unilaterally instituted. Says all the necessary people knew before he ran with the idea.

Neill Ostrout@NeillOstrout just now
Diaco on what happens to trophy: "I don't know. You want to make a coat rack out of it?"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits