ESPN Future CBB Power Rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN Future CBB Power Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ESPN ranked which programs would have the most success over the next three seasons. Here's their criteria:

CATEGORIES
Coaching (25 percent): Quality of coaching staff over next three seasons, with heavy emphasis on the head coach
Current Talent (25 percent): Quality of players currently in the program, focusing on the future
Recruiting (25 percent): Projected quality of 2015 and 2016 recruiting classes, and recruiting momentum
Program Power (15 percent): Fan and institutional support, facilities, resources and tradition
Stability (10 percent): Accounts for potential roster and coaching staff turnover

Nlr5aw1.png

Full List:
1. Duke
2. Kansas
3. Kentucky
4. Louisville
5. Florida
6. Arizona
7. UNC
8. Syracuse
9. MSU
10. Michigan
11. Ohio State
12. Gonzaga
13. Wisconsin
14. UConn
15. Virginia
16. UCLA
17. Xavier
18. Villanova
19. San Diego State
20. Harvard
21. Pittsburgh
22. UNLV
23. Memphis
24. Georgetown
25. VCU

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...-teams-most-likely-succeed-next-three-seasons

Shouldn't UConn's coaching score be 100? I mean, KO is 1 for 1 in National Championships.....who could be better than that??

D

Deleted member 3149

lol we have the best coach in college basketball, bar none

Reaction Score
It's an insider piece. Here's the graph. Basically they said that Boeheim has shown no inclination to call it quits, will Mike Hopkins stick around and wait for Boeheim to retire, and if he does, will he be able to maintain the status quo at Syracuse.
syracuse_183.jpg

Are these the same knuckleheads that just voted Ollie a better head coach then Boeheim in their latest top 50? He was voted #10 right?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Duke number 1 is a little mind blowing, i also spit out my coffee. They've been bounced twice in the first round in the past three years. Coach K isn't riding a 'wave' of recruiting, he always recruits well. He always gets burger boys. singler, the plumlees, nolan smith, gerald henderson, all highly decorated. I can't wait for dec. 18th, shaping up as a must win.

Reaction Score
Duke number 1 is a little mind blowing, i also spit out my coffee. They've been bounced twice in the first round in the past three years. Coach K isn't riding a 'wave' of recruiting, he always recruits well. He always gets burger boys. singler, the plumlees, nolan smith, gerald henderson, all highly decorated. I can't wait for dec. 18th, shaping up as a must win.

He has always gotten All-Americans, but he used to get the guys who became All-Americans after they commited to Duke. Plus a lot of those guys tended to stay 3-4 years.

Now they're getting the one-and-done guys like Rivers, Irving, Parker, Okafor, etc. Thus far you could make the case that the former strategy was more successful.

Reaction Score
It's ESPN. Why do any of you expect anything but shoot from the hip nonsense from the majority of clowns that work for them? Most of the writers/"personalities" are attracted by glitter and motion, much like a playful cat. I only watch ESPN if they are telecasting a game I want to see and, in most cases, mute the sound because most of the staff (that includes you, Tessitore) are shills and babble on about nothing. The writers fall into the same categories, mostly, too. I wish I could find a way for crowd sound and no "personalities" or "experts."

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Things I learned today : that according to espn mark few/thad motta/ roy williams/ sean miller/ tony bennett are all demonstrably better coaches than KO.
Until program stability metrics are considered in which case Kevin Ollie is the first to go.

Reaction Score
He has always gotten All-Americans, but he used to get the guys who became All-Americans after they commited to Duke. Plus a lot of those guys tended to stay 3-4 years.

Now they're getting the one-and-done guys like Rivers, Irving, Parker, Okafor, etc. Thus far you could make the case that the former strategy was more successful.

And how's that working out for ole Coach K??

Seems like a classic example of : if it aint broke don't fix it. Rivers team lost to Lehigh and Parkers to Mercer..in the first round. Irving was hurt, but they got Derrick Williams' testiculos on their foreheads in the Sweet 16.

I say let Duke keep getting these one and doners.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be shocked if our league is hurting us, but then, of course, how does Gonzaga, who hasn't been past the Sweet Sixteen this century and who plays in a league without ANY other top-end programs, end up at #12? And our "coaching" being at an 87 is completely indefensible.

Also, while I don't like being the AAC, people are making way too big a deal out of it. The AAC could very well end up being the Big 12-lite, as that's another league with one truly elite team on top, a few very good programs (historically, Cincy, Temple, Memphis fit here), some middling-to-decent programs, and some crap.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
It's an insider piece. Here's the graph. Basically they said that Boeheim has shown no inclination to call it quits, will Mike Hopkins stick around and wait for Boeheim to retire, and if he does, will he be able to maintain the status quo at Syracuse.
syracuse_183.jpg
This logic makes my head hurt:

An unproven coach who 'may' take over for a coach with a single championship represents better coaching and stability than a proven coach who won a championship and took over from coach with three championships.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ESPN has graphs to back up its arguments, so it's all very scientific. The results might not be favorable, but we just have to accept them.
Ohhhh. Well if there are graphs.....

Reaction Score
This is so absurd, we will continue being the best program in the country despite getting no respect. Don't mind feeling like Rodney Dangerfield as long as we keep winning titles.

Reaction Score
Per some earlier claims about Harvard too high, and Iowa State too low . . Seth Greenberg weighs in

Too high: Harvard Crimson (No. 20)

Harvard coach Tommy Amaker has done an incredible job. His teams are well-coached, aggressive, talented, athletic, tough and confident. Amaker has also been good at identifying qualified student-athletes who can compete at a higher level. Over the past two seasons, the Crimson boast wins against Cincinnati and New Mexico in the NCAA tournament. It speaks volumes to Amaker's work. However, it’s hard to see the Crimson as a future top-20 program, considering the small pool of potential prospects and the small margin of error in the evaluation process.

This upcoming season, they will graduate the Ivy League Player of the Year in Wesley Saunders and two experienced and productive post players in Kenyatta Smith and Steve Moundou-Missi. Look: Harvard is Harvard, and it will attract student-athletes who can thrive in its intense academic climate. But the graduation of three impact players will be difficult to replace. This, combined with its facilities and lack of national television appearances, make it difficult to imagine Harvard being a perennial elite program. Dominating the Ivy League doesn't warrant this high of a rating.

Too low: Wichita State Shockers (No. 38)

Wichita State is no flash in the pan. The squad has won 92 games over the last three years, tied with Syracuse for the second-most wins in that time period. The Shockers have earned three consecutive NCAA bids, advanced to the Final Four in 2012-13 and finished last regular season undefeated, earning a No. 1 seed in the process. Despite playing in what is considered a mid-major league (the Missouri Valley Conference), there is nothing mid-major about the Shockers. Coach Gregg Marshall is well-compensated, and their facilities are first class. Wichita State practices in a state-of-the-art practice facility and competes in the renovated Koch Arena in front of sellout crowds of 10,506 passionate fans. The team travels by charter, and its budget takes a back seat to no one.

Anyone who sees Marshall looking to leave the program doesn’t know his pedigree. His two mentors -- Hal Nunnally from Randolph-Macon and John Kresse from College of Charleston -- stayed at their schools for 24 and 23 years, respectively. Marshall has turned down ACC, SEC and Big Ten jobs to remain at Wichita. The opportunities that would interest him would be top-two jobs in power conferences, and I don’t expect them to be available in the near future. Marshall is the total package. He’s a gifted coach who relates to and connects with his players, and is a terrific evaluator of talent. Marshall doesn’t just see a player -- he anticipates what the player could be down the road. He knows the type of player that fits his system and personality. Wichita State is a top-20 program with the potential during any given year to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament.

Too low: Iowa State Cyclones (No. 31)

It’s hard to fathom Iowa State failing to make the top 25. Hoiberg has led the Cyclones to three consecutive NCAA tournaments, advancing past the initial round each time and reaching the Sweet 16 in 2014. This season’s Cyclones will be a preseason top-20 team and have a chance to once again advance to the second weekend of the postseason. Similar to Marshall at Wichita State, I think some believe Hoiberg could leave Iowa State. Every year there will be overtures from the NBA, but the reality is he has a unique situation with the Cyclones. It would take perfect circumstances for him to move his family from Ames before his children finish school.

Hoiberg has transitioned seamlessly to college basketball. The Mayor has not only brought the magic back to Hilton Coliseum, but he has added an NBA system that utilizes his players’ strengths and attacks matchups, and he sells well on the recruiting trail. He manages his roster like a former director of player personnel, finding a good mix of high school players, transfers and fifth-year seniors. He’s a terrific communicator, in whom players trust and for whom they work hard. Instead of running plays, he runs actions and lets his players play out of them. This enables him to move players to different positions and use different lineups.

Too low: Florida State Seminoles (unranked)

It’s hard to make a list of the future top 50 programs without mentioning Florida State. Leonard Hamilton has built a program with hardworking and athletic players and a commitment to defense. The Seminoles won the ACC championship just two years ago. They boast the third most wins in the ACC over the past nine years, trailing just Duke (No. 1 in the FPR) and North Carolina (No. 7). Hamilton has earned a reputation as a great recruiter, but it should not overshadow the tremendous coaching job he has done. His well-prepared teams always compete. If you conducted a survey in the ACC on teams that opponents least like to face, Florida State would top the list. The future is very bright for the Seminoles.

Florida State has achieved success recruiting under Hamilton, thanks to his extensive network. He adds talent both nationally and internationally. He already received three commitments for the Class of 2015, all of which are rated in the ESPN 100. Wing players Terance Mann (No. 71), Malik Beasley (No. 51) and Dwayne Bacon (No. 40) will complement incoming freshman Xavier Rathan-Mayes (No. 44 in the Class of 2013) and a veteran frontcourt next season.

It’s hard to predict the future in today's world of college basketball. Coaches who have good situations and are comfortable in their own skin are not as willing to move, re-establish a culture and rebuild programs. Schools compensate successful coaches at all levels. In the end, it comes down to institutions making commitments to facilities, and coaches evaluating well and refusing to compromise their values. There are four or five elite programs and then another 30 that have a chance any given season.

Reaction Score
With Harvard, you also need to consider the very strong possibility that Amaker gets the Duke job when Coach K retires. That seems much more likely to me than Ollie going to the Denver Nuggets or something.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
UConn, Memphis, Cincy, SMU, and Tulsa will all be tough next season...you also can't count out Temple, I bet they bounce back.

Reaction Score
UConn, Memphis, Cincy, SMU, and Tulsa will all be tough next season...you also can't count out Temple, I bet they bounce back.

Yeah, I'm not sure how everyone is convinced that Temple's entire program is in the toilet when they're exactly one year removed from being an NCAA team who beat NC State and nearly beat a #1-seeded IU as well.

Reaction Score
There is at least a reasonable case to make for Cuse ranking ahead of us on this list (longer tenured coach, better conference, better recruiting), but how the hell is their "current talent" at an 87 while ours is 77?

Reaction Score
There is at least a reasonable case to make for Cuse ranking ahead of us on this list (longer tenured coach, better conference, better recruiting), but how the hell is their "current talent" at an 87 while ours is 77?

It really shows the incompetence of their basketball minds. Maybe they are including recruiting stars into their ranking of talent and in that case, Christmas and Coleman were top 15 kids while Brimah was a mediocre 3 star so of course they are more talented.

pj

Reaction Score
It really shows the incompetence of their basketball minds. Maybe they are including recruiting stars into their ranking of talent and in that case, Christmas and Coleman were top 15 kids while Brimah was a mediocre 3 star so of course they are more talented.

They don't have basketball minds, they have propaganda minds. ESPN's business side tells them what to promote and they do it.

Reaction Score
How can football money define cbb conferences and somehow not be included in the methodology? Puff puff pass dip$h*ts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom