ESPN forgot Pat Summitt | The Boneyard

ESPN forgot Pat Summitt

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski becomes first to win 1,000 games at single school."

Not a mention of Pat Summitt in the article. For a company that markets itself very hard as a socially conscious entity I would have thought at least a minor mention of Summitt would have been appropriate. I see it as giving women's basketball the short shrift. When Geno approached ten championships there were comparisons with John Wooden. Why not throw women's basketball a bone and mention Pat Summitt?

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Ridiculous and infuriating. Once again relegating women and their accomplishments to 2nd tier. Who could forget this? How could someone forget this? To heck with them. We lovers of WCBB know the truth.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski becomes first to win 1,000 games at single school."

Not a mention of Pat Summitt in the article. For a company that markets itself very hard as a socially conscious entity I would have thought at least a minor mention of Summitt would have been appropriate. I see it as giving women's basketball the short shrift. When Geno approached ten championships there were comparisons with John Wooden. Why not throw women's basketball a bone and mention Pat Summitt?
Pat Summit has 1098 wins all time at Tennessee! Coach K just reached 1000 wins at Duke and has a total 1073. He coached at Army before Duke. Pat and Mike are the only 2 coaches with a 1000 wins at 1 school. Tara Van Deveer coached at Idaho and Ohio State and had 152 wins between both schools. She has over a 1000 wins but not at 1 school. She has 860 wins at Stanford for a total of 1012

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Any time you mention 1,000, have to mention Pat..... and Tara as well It is a hell of an achievement
So you mean...

"Hey can you lend me $1000 - 'PAT SUMMITT! .... and Tara too' - dollars as a down payment on a car?"

Or perhaps...

"Wow you are really batting a thousand- 'PAT SUMMITT! .... and Tara too'"

Reaction Score
See when Geno reaches a 1000 if they just mention Pat and Tara or throw in Mike too! Geno I think needs 12 wins.
His 32-year overall record stands at 991-135 (.880), the best winning percentage in the history of the sport and he became only the fourth coach all-time to eclipse the 900-win mark when the Huskies defeated Cincinnati on February 3, 2015. Auriemma reached win number 900 in fewer games than any coach in the history of the game and enters the 2017-18 season only nine-victories shy of 1,000 for his career.

UCONNHUSKIES.COM Geno Auriemma Bio :: University Of Connecticut Official Athletic Site University Of Connecticut Official Athletic Site - Women's Basketball

Reaction Score
cbraarj, Geno's record is 991-135. So only nine to go and our ninth game will be against Oklahoma at Mohegan Sun. Should be sold out and very loud. Can't wait to be there.

Sorry for the repeat, bags27 beat me to the punch. Let the season begin.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the significance of the category, "# of wins at one school." A win is a win. Why does it matter if accomplished at one school or more than one? It's not a school record, it's a personal one. I say count them all.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yeah, that is pretty crappy. Especially since they always have to compare the women's coaches to the men's when talking about WCBB. Doesn't seem to work the other way around.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I don't understand the significance of the category, "# of wins at one school." A win is a win. Why does it matter if accomplished at one school or more than one? It's not a school record, it's a personal one. I say count them all.
They do. It's just another reason to celebrate as a program.

Speaking of, Syracuse will get to celebrate Boeheim's 1000th win AGAIN, after a few of his wins were vacated :rolleyes:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It's ESPN For Men as opposed to ESPNW. You know, for real sports. :rolleyes:

To ignore PHS's accomplishment is a travesty. That's some fine reporting there, boy.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It's ESPN For Men as opposed to ESPNW. You know, for real sports. :rolleyes:

To ignore PHS's accomplishment is a travesty. That's some fine reporting there, boy.
For once I'm glad you don't allow cussin' on this site, because when I was doing my post I was going to let loose.

Reaction Score
So you mean...

"Hey can you lend me $1000 - 'PAT SUMMITT! .... and Tara too' - dollars as a down payment on a car?"

Or perhaps...

"Wow you are really batting a thousand- 'PAT SUMMITT! .... and Tara too'"

Yeah, JUST 4 U, I will push $1,000 to U !!! Hah!!

Reaction Score
Typical of the new ESPN, the one with no institutional memory.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, JUST 4 U, I will push $1,000 to U !!! Hah!!
Shouldn't you have mentioned Pat Summitt in that post?

(And Tara too)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
His 32-year overall record stands at 991-135 (.880), the best winning percentage in the history of the sport and he became only the fourth coach all-time to eclipse the 900-win mark when the Huskies defeated Cincinnati on February 3, 2015. Auriemma reached win number 900 in fewer games than any coach in the history of the game and enters the 2017-18 season only nine-victories shy of 1,000 for his career.

UCONNHUSKIES.COM Geno Auriemma Bio :: University Of Connecticut Official Athletic Site University Of Connecticut Official Athletic Site - Women's Basketball

OK, since it came up, what game is projected to be Geno's 1000th win? (assuming they don't lose between now than then).

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
OK, since it came up, what game is projected to be Geno's 1000th win? (assuming they don't lose between now than then).
I believe it will be the Oklahoma Sooner game at Mohegan Sun on December 19th

Carnac

Reaction Score
I believe it will be the Oklahoma Sooner game at Mohegan Sun on December 19th

Thanks Centerstream. Query: You think there just may be a few of his former players there that night? :rolleyes:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Thanks Centerstream. Query: You think there just may be a few of his former players there that night? :rolleyes:
I would hope that every former player, coach, associated team member that isn't in another country playing ball or in the United States associated with their own basketball team, would be in the audience. But that's just me dreaming.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I would hope that every former player, coach, associated team member that isn't in another country playing ball or in the United States associated with their own basketball team, would be in the audience. But that's just me dreaming.

No doubt the basketball office will be (if they haven't already) notifying all of the people you've mentioned of the possibility of Geno reaching this milestone that evening. Urging them to make every effort possible to be in attendance for that game. VanDerveer had a large number of her former players on hand when she won her 1000th game last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom