ESPN Feature article on Sue | The Boneyard

ESPN Feature article on Sue

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She also has a knack for hitting clutch shots -- the daggers -- which gained her the nickname Sue "Die, b----es!" Bird, or "DB" for short, from admiring fans on internet message boards.

lol

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
My favorite part

upload_2017-7-20_14-38-20.png

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The article really does a fine job of painting a picture of Sue Bird. The gender preference thing does not come as a surprise. However, I don't know how many remember this, but early in her pro career she was linked publicly as an item with a male pro athlete; his name escapes me now. Then poof. To say she's an opposite of her girlfriend is an understatement.

Strong person. Leader. Fearless. One of my sports' heroines.

Reaction Score
So glad for Sue...perhaps it will make her life a bit easier....I must say, between Megan and Penny Taylor its apparent that UCONN women have made great choices!

Reaction Score
This article showed up on Yahoo as kind of a "Sue comes out" thing, and she herself is quoted as saying something to the effect that my friends and those who know me knew anyway, but..... Well, I have to say I'm not exactly a friend and I don't "know" her, but I thought her relationship with Rapinoe was common knowledge. I recall seeing a televised game last year and the camera focused on her and I thought, "Oh, she's with Meghan Rapinoe." Seemed like a done deal back then.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
This article showed up on Yahoo as kind of a "Sue comes out" thing, and she herself is quoted as saying something to the effect that my friends and those who know me knew anyway, but..... Well, I have to say I'm not exactly a friend and I don't "know" her, but I thought her relationship with Rapinoe was common knowledge. I recall seeing a televised game last year and the camera focused on her and I thought, "Oh, she's with Meghan Rapinoe." Seemed like a done deal back then.

I remember that game and remember those camera shots and had pretty much the same reaction.

Reaction Score
O' Crap---Bird is taken---there goes the greatest fantasy every--Sue and me!!
I'have adored Sue since I first saw her in a uconn Uniform.
Bull pucky I said when I read---She is quiet--she is nice to everyone--She hasn't a BIG PERSONAliTY--tell that to anyone other than a Uconn fan--they may believe you.
I laughed at: you are 6 ft 2 inches and you beat me I'd don't give a crap (s---), I can beat you. damned if she can't.

Syosset Ny kid--educated in Middle Village, L.I , Ny---the ticket to success. She isn't what you'd think of if you think NY--but inside she is every bit as tough as the kid on tordy trodrd n fort st, n Bleeker St, Brooklyn, Ny. If you don't believe that you haven't watched Sue since
before 2000 til now--mentally tough always---I just love everything Sue Bird..

Reaction Score

I think that was game 100

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I recall seeing a televised game last year and the camera focused on her and I thought, "Oh, she's with Meghan Rapinoe."

They were at a handful of UW home games together last year watching the Kelsey Plum show. I never saw any confirmation anywhere but suspected as much.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
"I'm gay. Megan's my girlfriend. ... These aren't secrets to people who know me," Bird told ESPNW.

I would've said they weren't secrets to anyone who follows WBB or women's soccer. I think they're both really cool people, I wish them happiness.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just a terrific article on the greatest PG ever to play the game. She's a leader, role model, amazing player, and an incredible person. The more "stars" who come out, the easier it will be for young gays and lesbians to accept who they are without feeling shame or alone. Many of us have known this about Sue for a long time, or at the very least suspected, but it was always her story to tell, and I'm grateful she's chosen to share it with the rest of the world...

Reaction Score
. . . At the end there is a pretty long discussion between Plum and Sue last year . . .

That video has some great insight into handling success, finding a niche on a pro team, developing skills while playing a year-round schedule - Sue has a lot of great advice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom