ESPN CBB Greatest of All Time Bracket | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ESPN CBB Greatest of All Time Bracket

Reaction Score
Bill Walton #1.....hell no!!
You haven't the foggiest idea of what you're talking about ..... his college career may have been the best in the history of the NCAA and you are either too young to know or too old and foggy about how magnificent his game was ..... We are talking about college, not his pro career where injuries affected and limited his game ....

Reaction Score
He played center but you are right on the money. He was literally the whole track and field team for Kansas. He won the high jump three years in a row, ran the 100 yard dash, won the triple jump and broad jump, and even threw the shot in the Big 12 Championships. His basketball team only made it to the finals one year losing in overtime or double overtime to North Carolina after he fouled out. BTW, he high jumped 6'6" in 8th grade!
Thanks for sharing ..... I knew Wilt was a great athlete but I didn't know he was so diversified ..... amazing

Reaction Score
You're just so right The problem goes beyond recency bias. Most people today never saw him play. To many he's just a legend. But to those of us who saw this guy he was a marvel. IMHO he was the greatest athlete to ever play in the Association. All you need do is look at the highlights of him running the floor and your eyes pop out of your head. Yes, even The Greek Freak comes in a distant second...and Wilt is not on the list.
Wilt was on the list but he was way down on the list ....

Reaction Score
Not including Bill Walton or Jabbar is ridiculous .... we are talking about college, not NBA ..... I do agree Laettner is totally suspect ....
I was commenting on people who were diminishing Walton and Jabbar ..... they totally deserved being where they were on the list

Reaction Score
Walton went 21 for 22 in a national championship game. He had 4 dunks disallowed because of a no dunking rule. Ended with 44 point which could have been 50 while only missing 1 shot. He has multiple national titles and I'm not positive if freshmen were able to play back then. I know Freshmen could not play when Jabbar, ok Alcinder was at UCLA. He won 3 titles, and if you don't think he would have won 4 well UCLA won the title when he could not be on the team as a freshman yet he and the other freshmen would beat the national champs in practice. If they playeda real game they would have won. Simply put at 7'2" with a sky hook he was the hardest player to defend ever including Jordan, or Chamberlain. He should best Stewart in the finals of this mock tournament.
Walton did not play as a freshman, either

Reaction Score
I was really disappointed that JJ Redick eliminated Sheryl Swoopes. I watched the 1993 championship game again between her Texas Tech team and Ohio State. Texas Tech won 84-82 and she scored 47, maybe the greatest performance in a championship game. She scored 177 points in the 5 game NCAA tournament. Cynthia Cooper and Tina Thompson, Sheryl teammates on the Houston Comets, weren't even mentioned in the 64 teams. Several of the men in this so-called 'g.o.a.t.' bracket only played college ball for a year.
Women were always getting diminished in this idiotic poll .... the fact that you could only vote on Twitter is ridiculous because how many people over 50 have a twitter account or care about twitter ....

Reaction Score
Women were always getting diminished in this idiotic poll .... the fact that you could only vote on Twitter is ridiculous because how many people over 50 have a twitter account or care about twitter ....
I'm over 50. What's a twitter?

Reaction Score
basically the same team lost the championship the next year to the N.Y. knicks with Frazier, reed and monroe
The team the Lakers beat in 5 games in the Finals in 1972 were the Knicks. Wilt had 25 points, 29 rebounds, 8 assists and 8 blocks in game 5.

Reaction Score
The team the Lakers beat in 5 games in the Finals in 1972 were the Knicks. Wilt had 25 points, 29 rebounds, 8 assists and 8 blocks in game 5.
And the Knicks beat the Lakers in five games the next year. Just sayin’.

Reaction Score
And the Knicks beat the Lakers in five games the next year. Just sayin’.
Believe me, I know. I watched it. The Lakers won the first game and the Knicks won four in a row. If you listen to early interviews with Geno, he says that watching the 1969 and 1973 Knicks made him realize that is the way the game should be played. I see great similarities in the emphasis on team passing with the old Knicks' team passing and UCONN and when you look at film of our great teams, like 2002 and 2016 as examples, you see a level of team passing that is extraordinary. I thought we were getting that at the end of the regular season this year and I hope we start with that next year, especially with Evina, Anna and Paige and please don't forget Nika. She can dish.

Reaction Score
to be fair many thought Drexler, a future hall of famer, was Jordan, he was Cylde the glide after all, and had that position filled. They did not have a center and Sam was considered very talented, but unfortunately also fragile which turned out to be true. If you wanted a post player, after Hakeem who went #1, Sam was 7'1", then came Turpin who proved to be to slow, and nobody would have thought either Thorpe, Willis or any other center was close to Sam. Most people would have taken him and most people would have been wrong. 4 hall of famers, and nobody could have seen Stockon that way. Some nice players and a lot of duds (like most drafts).

Drexler was a wing in which Portland chose to play him as SG. . He could've easily played sf. Drexler was 6'7. And the Bulls ended up winning with guys like Bill Wennington at center. The point of drafting Jordan wasn't in Year One to win a championship. It's that you are getting a "no doubt" great player. Could never have known he'd be regarded as one of the 5 best ever -- but it's a blunder to pass on a great player for someone like Sam.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom