ESPN Boxing | The Boneyard

ESPN Boxing

Reaction Score
I watched this live on ESPN and thought the guy may have died at first. After a long time with no movement he finally started moving and they got him off the canvas. This was right after he was knocked down in the first few seconds of the fight. Brutal. And Jared Anderson just got a serious knockout.

Follow @FTBeard7 on Twitter: "GOOD LORD! Richard Torrez faceplant KO's Marco Antonio Canedo in the 1st round!! https://post original url/o4NyrgYLsl" / Twitter

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Saw this as well. Absolutely brutal KO, Canedo was disgustingly overmatched.

I really hated the camera staying zoomed in on Canedo as he was just laying there. He looked like he was going in and out of consciousness it was really scary for a moment.

Reaction Score

I really hated the camera staying zoomed in on Canedo as he was just laying there. He looked like he was going in and out of consciousness it was really scary for a moment.
Yep, there's no way this fight ever should've been made. Such a mismatch and with Richie Torrez Jr.'s power this ending was inevitable.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Wow I missed this one, but saw Jared's fight. JA looks to be on his way to getting some fights against the big boys in heavyweight. Looks quite promising unlike Hirgovic.

Reaction Score
Yep, there's no way this fight ever should've been made. Such a mismatch and with Richie Torrez Jr.'s power this ending was inevitable.
Guys starting out are going to have mismatches. Thats the sport.

Reaction Score

Then go watch something else. Its boxing.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
Top Rank is considered to have the best matchmakers in boxing, but I think they need to push him a little more aggressively. His previous opponent was totally outclassed as well and the ref jumped in for a way early stoppage. If you’re gonna do that, why sanction the bout at all?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah, it requires a different level of matchmaking for heavyweights where one punch can kill someone compared to flyweights where even an outclassed opponent can go a few rounds.

When you have these high level amateurs it is a skill for the matchmakers to build them up to the length of pro matches and find bodies willing to do the dirty work to advance the youngins' careers.

Reaction Score
I watch a lot of boxing and have followed the sport very closely for a long time. I have seen people die in the ring multiple times. That is not something that is fun to see.
No its not. Nobody likes seeing that but its part of the sport. Whether zooming in or away its going to happen. Thats the truth of the sport and it should be shown in its horror. I recently saw a clip of some woman saying that boxing can be compared to men dancing with their shirts off. It is the single dumbest thing ive ever heard.

Reaction Score
Top Rank is considered to have the best matchmakers in boxing, but I think they need to push him a little more aggressively. His previous opponent was totally outclassed as well and the ref jumped in for a way early stoppage. If you’re gonna do that, why sanction the bout at all?
He has 3 pro fights!!! This happens with ALL FIGHTERS. Difference is you dont really see it because most guys fighting dont have the name recognition like olympians do so their early fights arent covered. Those that are this is what happens. Do you understand the investment promotors put into prospects? The last thing youre going to do is put him in with a high level guy who can "damage your product" and costing you millions. Not saying you but i heard some people saying that in their next fights Torrez should fight Anderson so itll be more fair. That is idiotic and shows they have no idea how this sport works. If that fight were to happen next 1. Itd be Torrez getting scraped off the canvas after a brutal KO and 2. everyone in his camp and promotion should be fired. And before you or anyone tries to pull the "well its the same as what torrez did to the guy he ko`d he shouldnt have been in with Torrez" theres a difference. That other guys has no future in the sport and is what is referred to as a tomato can or cab driver. Guys with no real talent but do it to make a few bucks and for the love of the sport.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it requires a different level of matchmaking for heavyweights where one punch can kill someone compared to flyweights where even an outclassed opponent can go a few rounds.

When you have these high level amateurs it is a skill for the matchmakers to build them up to the length of pro matches and find bodies willing to do the dirty work to advance the youngins' careers.
Ive seen more people die in the ring at lighter weights than at heavyweight. You bring up something that ive wondered about for years and have never gotten a real answer on. Why is it that there are weight limits in every division under hw but at hw you can have unlimited weight differences? If you have a middleweight weigh in a couple lbs over the fighter is penalized while at hw you could literally have a guy weigh 50lbs heavier and the fight is still on. There was talk of a super hw division but that seems to have died down.

BoukofJames

Reaction Score
He has 3 pro fights!!! This happens with ALL FIGHTERS. Difference is you dont really see it because most guys fighting dont have the name recognition like olympians do so their early fights arent covered. Those that are this is what happens. Do you understand the investment promotors put into prospects? The last thing youre going to do is put him in with a high level guy who can "damage your product" and costing you millions. Not saying you but i heard some people saying that in their next fights Torrez should fight Anderson so itll be more fair. That is idiotic and shows they have no idea how this sport works. If that fight were to happen next 1. Itd be Torrez getting scraped off the canvas after a brutal KO and 2. everyone in his camp and promotion should be fired. And before you or anyone tries to pull the "well its the same as what torrez did to the guy he ko`d he shouldnt have been in with Torrez" theres a difference. That other guys has no future in the sport and is what is referred to as a tomato can or cab driver. Guys with no real talent but do it to make a few bucks and for the love of the sport.
Lmao, I never said they should put him in there with a “high level guy”. Match him with someone who has more than 10 pro fights, a decent chin, and an aggressive style from which we can learn about Torrez’s boxing skills. For example, they matched Duke Ragan recently with a tough guy who was aggressive and Ragan dug deep and won a decision. Troy Isley has been matched well, also. I’m just saying let’s step up a level for his next fight. The last two have been dangerously overmatched and we learned nothing about Torrez, but go off I guess

Reaction Score
No its not. Nobody likes seeing that but its part of the sport. Whether zooming in or away its going to happen. Thats the truth of the sport and it should be shown in its horror. I recently saw a clip of some woman saying that boxing can be compared to men dancing with their shirts off. It is the single dumbest thing ive ever heard.

A guy at cage titans 55 mma just got his humerus snapped in half (literally) right in front of me. It was horrifying... but it's a part of the game and these guys know it.

BoukofJames

Reaction Score
A guy at cage titans 55 mma just got his humerus snapped in half (literally) right in front of me. It was horrifying... but it's a part of the game and these guys know it.
The carnage in regional mma is something to behold. Curious- were you there just spectating or in a corner capacity? I think i remember you mentioned that you train kickboxing

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Ive seen more people die in the ring at lighter weights than at heavyweight. You bring up something that ive wondered about for years and have never gotten a real answer on. Why is it that there are weight limits in every division under hw but at hw you can have unlimited weight differences? If you have a middleweight weigh in a couple lbs over the fighter is penalized while at hw you could literally have a guy weigh 50lbs heavier and the fight is still on. There was talk of a super hw division but that seems to have died down.

I understand the brutality is part of the sport and the draw for the audience. I am just saying when a guy is in and out on the canvas like that I never understood staying zoomed in on him. Go to replays or something. I feel the same about any brutal injury in any sport.

Completely agree with you on the lighter weights. A one punch KO is much less damage than 12 rounds of getting punched in the head and the majority of the deaths in boxing have come from the continued beating where the ref does not stop it or the corner does not pull their guy out. I remember in the Golovkin vs. Rosado fight, GGG brutally beating Rosado for 7 rounds. Rosado's dad was yelling at his trainer Billy Briscoe not to stop it and Briscoe responding "do you want your son to die?' then throwing in the towel.

The WBC rolled out the bridgerweight class to try and combat the huge weight differences that are possible at HW. Time will tell if it catches on.

As for Torrez vs. Anderson that is crazy. Torrez's team is going to move him slow as they should. He is 23 with a great amateur pedigree. He will most likely not see a real guy until his 12th-15th fight at the earliest, depending on how he progresses. Nobody is like Loma fighting for a championship in their 3rd fight.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The carnage in regional mma is something to behold. Curious- were you there just spectating or in a corner capacity? I think i remember you mentioned that you train kickboxing

My friend was competing. I have a BJJ blue belt, but I'm not confident enough in my groundwork to know how to corner well. I've cornered Muay Thai on occasion.

Reaction Score
You gotta see the tomato cans that Tyson fought on the way up. One dude was 195 lbs and skinny. Tyson obliterated him.
I have seen every recorded Tyson fight. Tyson was a kid and small for a Heavyweight, so you would assume an adult tomato can might not get killed as he is being rolled over. Still, some of those match ups, after Tyson got rolling were also dangerously poor promoting.

This fight was worse. That guy isn't even a "C" level fighter. No disrespect to him, but he isn't. He should be fighting the under cards at Mohegan...like the first fight of the night. Nothing where cameras are rolling.

Reaction Score
The guy got about $10k to get flattened. That is what he did here. He was contracted to be a punching bag.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The guy got about $10k to get flattened. That is what he did here. He was contracted to be a punching bag.
He problem got 4000 of it.

Reaction Score
Lmao, I never said they should put him in there with a “high level guy”. Match him with someone who has more than 10 pro fights, a decent chin, and an aggressive style from which we can learn about Torrez’s boxing skills. For example, they matched Duke Ragan recently with a tough guy who was aggressive and Ragan dug deep and won a decision. Troy Isley has been matched well, also. I’m just saying let’s step up a level for his next fight. The last two have been dangerously overmatched and we learned nothing about Torrez, but go off I guess
Duke Ragan 7 fights His third fight opponents record 1-0
Troy Isley 7 fights His third fight opponent record 2-1
Torrez 3rd fight His third fight opponent record 4-1

Nice try though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member