ESPN article on B1G/ACC, MD, RU and UCONN.... | The Boneyard

ESPN article on B1G/ACC, MD, RU and UCONN....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really hope so because im getting tired of all the speculation and playing the waiting game.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
If the Big10 does that, why not court UConn and BC and put a strangle hold on the North East? 16 teams, New England, NJ, NY and PA markets locked up.

Reaction Score
UConn seems like a logical fit for the Big10, not sure why it isn't being pushed more. Hopefully Herbst and Manuel are working like crazy behind the scenes and have lot's of connections.

Reaction Score
UConn seems like a logical fit for the Big10, not sure why it isn't being pushed more. Hopefully Herbst and Manuel are working like crazy behind the scenes and have lot's of connections.

It's funny, teams like Wake get so fired up to play UConn but no conferences get fired up to add UConn. I don't see what MD adds that UConn wouldn't. And don't get me started about the crap teams the ACC has added over UConn.

Reaction Score
It's funny, teams like Wake get so fired up to play UConn but no conferences get fired up to add UConn. I don't see what MD adds that UConn wouldn't. And don't get me started about the crap teams the ACC has added over UConn.

1. Washington DC and Baltimore
2. A whole lotta football talent at the high school level.

Reaction Score
1. Washington DC and Baltimore
2. A whole lotta football talent at the high school level.

So why is MD almost always awful to mediocre in football and why can't they get the best basketball players from DC and Baltimore. I'm not sure anyone in that area cares at all about MD.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
$0.90 per cable subscriber > $0.10 per cable subscriber.

NY/NJ + Bal/DC >>> Hartford/New Haven.

There is no other good reason.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
So why is MD almost always awful to mediocre in football and why can't they get the best basketball players from DC and Baltimore. I'm not sure anyone in that area cares at all about MD.

They get picked apart by Ohio St, Penn State and the ACC schools.

Reaction Score
$0.90 per cable subscriber > $0.10 per cable subscriber.

NY/NJ + Bal/DC >>> Hartford/New Haven.

There is no other good reason.

The Big10 does not charge .90 per subscriber in all its markets. BTN is not on the first tier in Eastern Pa. for instance.

Reaction Score

I agree, i was over on espn talking about it, Getting numerous responses saying no. One comment said add Louisville better basketball and football.....Da F@ck! Haters gonna hate

Reaction Score

This. Really makes you wonder if people at UConn are just being out maneuvered in terms of just selling itself.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The Big10 does not charge .90 per subscriber in all its markets. BTN is not on the first tier in Eastern Pa. for instance.

I believe that is their agreement with most of the cable providers. IIRC.

Reaction Score
I believe that is their agreement with most of the cable providers. IIRC.

Most cable providers in Big10 territory, but not all. It's telling that they can't lock down cable companies in PSU territory. I bet they can't do it in New Jersey either.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten has always stressed the academic strength of its conference. The schools were all, prior to the admission of Nebraska, members of the Association of American Universities, and Maryland and Rutgers are both members.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The Big Ten has always stressed the academic strength of its conference. The schools were all, prior to the admission of Nebraska, members of the Association of American Universities, and Maryland and Rutgers are both members.
Nebraska was a member of the AAU when they joined. It was ~ a year later the AAU booted them.

Reaction Score

And that association is a joke. You have a bunch of legitimately great universities and a bunch of mediocre ones riding their coat tails through this association. Neither MD or Rutgers are better schools than UConn. And there are two SUNYs in that association. Joke. Iowa? Iowa State?!?! Hell, I could argue that Michigan State is no better than UConn. Same with Indiana and Purdue. If the Big 10 wants to add MIT, fine, but do it because it is actually GREAT, not because it is in some idiotic club.

Reaction Score
Nebraska was a member of the AAU when they joined. It was ~ a year later the AAU booted them.

While this is true, the initial informal vote had already happened a year PRIOR to Nebraska joining, and the initial vote was to keep Nebraska in. It was only after conspiring and reconstituting the committee (the very next day after the vote) that the formal vote was at first delayed and then cancelled. They held the vote again 9 months later when the committee was reformed.

The Nebraska Pres.'s emails from people like PSU's Graham Spanier (who was formerly Pres. at Nebraska) revealed that two people on the committee (the chair and ass't chair) rigged things to kick Nebraska out. Who were these two? Presidents of Michigan and Wisconsin.

As I said, this happened well before Nebraska was admitted into the B10.

Given this, one wonders how important AAU membership actually is.

Reaction Score
And that association is a joke. You have a bunch of legitimately great universities and a bunch of mediocre ones riding their coat tails through this association. Neither MD or Rutgers are better schools than UConn. And there are two SUNYs in that association. Joke. Iowa? Iowa State?!?! Hell, I could argue that Michigan State is no better than UConn. Same with Indiana and Purdue. If the Big 10 wants to add MIT, fine, but do it because it is actually GREAT, not because it is in some idiotic club.

The AAU is a joke (it's a lobbying organization) but the idea that the schools you mentioned are jokes is way too much. I cam to a SUNY from another top AAU school precisely because these are more than solid places. Lots of programs rank in the top 10, research is at $400 million yearly at my SUNY.

Reaction Score
The AAU is a joke (it's a lobbying organization) but the idea that the schools you mentioned are jokes is way too much. I cam to a SUNY from another top AAU school precisely because these are more than solid places. Lots of programs rank in the top 10, research is at $400 million yearly at my SUNY.
The fact that you agree the AAU is a joke, but that you call a joke the schools that he calls a joke, is a joke.

Reaction Score
The fact that you agree the AAU is a joke, but that you call a joke the schools that he calls a joke, is a joke.

No, not really.

AAU = joke (i.e. lobbying org with absolutely no academic operations)
SUNY = not a joke.

It's hard to see where your confusion lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom