ESPN Announcers come up big! | The Boneyard

ESPN Announcers come up big!

Reaction Score
Everyone was worried about whether the announcers would be typical ESPN types. Well, these two were just fine, thank you very much! They called the game, provided analysis, and did not bore us with endless promotion of what-comes-next. We can only hope for more of the same.

Reaction Score
So, who were they?
Brick, who is usually a studio anchor, and Christy Thomaskutty. Not exactly ESPN big names, but this is what they do for the AAC tourney, at least in the early rounds. Once the games are back on TV we'll probably be back to the usual announcers, and it will be all Charlie Creme and Zion Williamson for two hours.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
So, who were they?

John Brickley and Christy Thomaskutty, (former head coach at Emory University 2003-2017). Emory University competes at the NCAA Division III level. I agree. I think they both did an excellent job. I enjoyed the game and their "professional" commentary and analysis.

Post edit - Roy Philpott and Brooke Weisbrod will call today's (Sunday) and tomorrow's nationally televised games on ESPN2. :) They are both seasoned TV sports broadcast veterans.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Brick, who is usually a studio anchor, and Christy Thomaskutty. Not exactly ESPN big names, but this is what they do for the AAC tourney, at least in the early rounds. Once the games are back on TV we'll probably be back to the usual announcers, and it will be all Charlie Creme and Zion Williamson for two hours.
I have been known to send ESPN emails when the announcing is bad, so today I gave them a nice pat on the back and told them the other 2 from the last game need to watch Brick and Christy, and learn how its done!

Reaction Score
I have been known to send ESPN emails when the announcing is bad, so today I gave them a nice pat on the back and told them the other 2 from the last game need to watch Brick and Christy, and learn how its done!
I think it's a familiarity thing. When an announcing duo works many games together, it's easy to devolve into non-stop chatter about random topics not related to the game at hand. Lobo and Lawson became one of the worst duos at ESPN after starting out as a good pairing. Pam Ward and Deb Antonelli should never work games together. ESPN games are fine when it's two random commentators thrown together for an off broadcast game like the early rounds of the AAC tournament. You'll find the same thing in the early rounds of the NCAA tourney. The first weekend games will largely be covered by random commentators, and they do a good job of just sticking to the game because they don't have anything else to talk about.

Reaction Score
I think it's a familiarity thing. When an announcing duo works many games together, it's easy to devolve into non-stop chatter about random topics not related to the game at hand. Lobo and Lawson became one of the worst duos at ESPN after starting out as a good pairing. Pam Ward and Deb Antonelli should never work games together. ESPN games are fine when it's two random commentators thrown together for an off broadcast game like the early rounds of the AAC tournament. You'll find the same thing in the early rounds of the NCAA tourney. The first weekend games will largely be covered by random commentators, and they do a good job of just sticking to the game because they don't have anything else to talk about.
You mean like putting Charlie Creme and Andy Landers in to announce? Is that what you mean? :):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Completely agree about Ward and Antonelli - unlistenable.

Completely disagree about Lobo and Lawson. Individually outstanding and one of the best when they were paired.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Christy Thomaskutty was on my prestigious "excellent and underappreciated commentators" list earlier this season:

Reaction Score
Completely agree about Ward and Antonelli - unlistenable.

Completely disagree about Lobo and Lawson. Individually outstanding and one of the best when they were paired.
Sure if you don't mind their constant wandering into topics like dress sizing and color coordinating their outfits or shoes while Adam Amin tries to call the game as if those ridiculous side conversations aren't going on. Lobo and Lawson simply grew too close and comfortable with each other to adequately cover a game together. Individually they are fine, and were fine when Lobo was the sideline reporter, but it's just one of those combinations that doesn't work anymore.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
For me it was the same as always, two people mangling the English language, referring to teams as "they" instead of "it," saying "turn the ball over" instead of "turn over the ball," et al. At least everyone is referring to them as "announcers." Protective of my profession as I am, this old print scribe cringes at the notion that these folks are broadcast journalists.

Yes, I know, you don't care.

Reaction Score
For me it was the same as always, two people mangling the English language, referring to teams as "they" instead of "it," saying "turn the ball over" instead of "turn over the ball," et al. At least everyone is referring to them as "announcers." Protective of my profession as I am, this old print scribe cringes at the notion that these folks are broadcast journalists.

Languages evolve. What was incorrect yesterday is acceptable today. Despite what my teachers taught me, I've learned that the rules of grammar and style are determined by the majority and not Strunk & White.

Reaction Score
Hmmmm. Maybe one of the heads at ESPN has tuned into the boneyard and read some reviews from the last game.

Reaction Score
Hmmmm. Maybe one of the heads at ESPN has tuned into the boneyard and read some reviews from the last game.
Nah. The announcing teams are determined by the game and network. There's a roster for off broadcast, and one for the network channels. There's a roster for big games, and one for less big games. They do this every year. Plus they contract out to freelancers like Eric Frede.

Reaction Score

That's because you're listening to them with a journalists 'ear', whereas us BYers are just hearing them call the game, play by play............not transgressing to how batman could beat superman. :rolleyes: It was just such a refreshing change to be able to follow the game, unlike last time! Their job is (or should be) just to report what they see! :cool:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
That's because you're listening to them with a journalists 'ear', whereas us BYers are just hearing them call the game, play by play.

Fair enough.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
If you feel inclined to say nice things:
Christy Thomaskutty
@CoachSkutty

@ESPNBrick

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Would this team be calling the UConn Big East games? I associate CT with Fox.

Reaction Score
Languages evolve. What was incorrect yesterday is acceptable today. Despite what my teachers taught me, I've learned that the rules of grammar and style are determined by the majority and not Strunk & White.

Wow! The rules of grammar are arbitrary??????? (In what language-- not mine.) A matter of style?????
YES language changes, but the grammar of a language remains. Of course there is writing and speaking. And it is true that we are smart enough to have a good idea of what people have (poorly) written/spoken-- even when the verbs are randomly placed. But that is a matter of the Brain deciphering what should have been written/said.
Even my doctors (and Brick & Christy) make 'small-talks' in the clinical settings, but it as a function-- reduing anxiety, rather than being a competing discourse. What people like me object to is not the interjection of small talks to illustrate a point, or to inform the listener, but the running of parallel stories that are of no relevants to what being shown.
I'm old enough to remember radio announcers who made the game (soccer for me) visual and held your attention. They were paid peanuts in comparison to these TV people. But a lot of TV is like that-- sports, news, etc. How difficult can it be some might ask-- you have played, coached ... Why not be an announcer. Who cannot learn to speak in a microphone?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Yesterday may have been ok
Today was the pits...I couldn't listen
Only thing worse was the play by play for the woman's soccer game
Screamed and carried on every time USA touched the ball...yuck...who needs that?
Who are those people? (back toBB)
ESPN's 23rd team?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom