ESPN Announcers come up big! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN Announcers come up big!

Reaction Score
For me it was the same as always, two people mangling the English language, referring to teams as "they" instead of "it," saying "turn the ball over" instead of "turn over the ball," et al. At least everyone is referring to them as "announcers." Protective of my profession as I am, this old print scribe cringes at the notion that these folks are broadcast journalists.

Yes, I know, you don't care.
I’m a retired Professor. I also care.

Reaction Score
I liked it best when Brooke announced that Aubrey Griffin is the next "ONE" in women's college basketball .. it seems that Brooke is wise beyong her years, eh? :)

Reaction Score
Would be better if Dave could pronounce names correctly

Reaction Score
Just to put in my two cents, I personally thought O'Brien and Burke were fairly decent. Mike Patrick and Ann Meyers will always be my favorite duo though.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yesterday may have been ok
Today was the pits...I couldn't listen
Only thing worse was the play by play for the woman's soccer game
Screamed and carried on every time USA touched the ball...yuck...who needs that?

Who are those people? (back toBB)
ESPN's 23rd team?
I know that guy is as bad as JP Dellacamera. Maybe worse. Sooo annoying.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I liked it best when Brooke announced that Aubrey Griffin is the next "ONE" in women's college basketball .. it seems that Brooke is wise beyong her years, eh? :)
I was thinking, hmmm Brooke must be Jingo's daughter. ;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Here’s my appreciation for Weisbrod and Ken Philpot(?) last night. While we didn’t necessarily know who got what foul at least they were talking about the game or teams. Chatter was scattered throughout but it was brief. Good job guys

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
For me it was the same as always, two people mangling the English language, referring to teams as "they" instead of "it," saying "turn the ball over" instead of "turn over the ball," et al. At least everyone is referring to them as "announcers." Protective of my profession as I am, this old print scribe cringes at the notion that these folks are broadcast journalists.

Yes, I know, you don't care.

Maybe not so much as to whether I care or not (which I actually do), but I certainly can relate!

When I was a graduate teaching assistant, one of my assignments was to run and grade communications classes. That including watching dozens upon dozens of slide shows, back in the day when a slide show was really a slide show and not a computer assisted PowerPoint.

I wish this wasn't the case but decades later, when I'm at a conference and am a consumer of someone else's presentation, there is still a small part of me grading the dang thing.

I also wanted to share my thoughts about the sideline reporter these past few games - Christy Thomaskutty. I enjoyed her presence more than I usually do - not sure what it is but I felt she approached this with some intelligence and wasn't just there as window dressing. Someone else's post earlier got me a bit interested in finding out more about her.

This was perhaps shared on some of the links in this thread - she was head coach at Emory for 14 years before stepping down due to health issues. What I was really impressed with, though, was her academic background. The quote below is from Emory's announcement of her resignation - she's obviously got a lot more going for her than basketball acumen!

Thomaskutty graduated magna cum laude (Bachelor of Science in Management) from Tulane's A. B. Freeman School of Business in 1996. She later earned her master's degree (Masters of Business Administration) from Illinois State in 2002.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Maybe not so much as to whether I care or not (which I actually do), but I certainly can relate!

When I was a graduate teaching assistant, one of my assignments was to run and grade communications classes. That including watching dozens upon dozens of slide shows, back in the day when a slide show was really a slide show and not a computer assisted PowerPoint.

I wish this wasn't the case but decades later, when I'm at a conference and am a consumer of someone else's presentation, there is still a small part of me grading the dang thing.

I also wanted to share my thoughts about the sideline reporter these past few games - Christy Thomaskutty. I enjoyed her presence more than I usually do - not sure what it is but I felt she approached this with some intelligence and wasn't just there as window dressing. Someone else's post earlier got me a bit interested in finding out more about her.

This was perhaps shared on some of the links in this thread - she was head coach at Emory for 14 years before stepping down due to health issues. What I was really impressed with, though, was her academic background. The quote below is from Emory's announcement of her resignation - she's obviously got a lot more going for her than basketball acumen!

Thomaskutty graduated magna cum laude (Bachelor of Science in Management) from Tulane's A. B. Freeman School of Business in 1996. She later earned her master's degree (Masters of Business Administration) from Illinois State in 2002.
Given your background, @cabbie191,--and, admittedly, this is a bit off topic--perhaps you've noticed that nowadays the words "say" and "says" often are being replaced by "go" and "goes," particularly when relating a conversation:

"I go, 'Too bad you have to shlp out to Portland' and Geno goes, "Well, we'll play wherever they send us."

I thought this was a function of youth until I heard my 73-year-old friend employ the same verbiage. Strange.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Just to put in my two cents, I personally thought O'Brien and Burke were fairly decent. Mike Patrick and Ann Meyers will always be my favorite duo though.
Ann Meyers? She would be on my list of worst commentators of all time.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Given your background, @cabbie191,--and, admittedly, this is a bit off topic--perhaps you've noticed that nowadays the words "say" and "says" often are being replaced by "go" and "goes," particularly when relating a conversation:

"I go, 'Too bad you have to shlp out to Portland' and Geno goes, "Well, we'll play wherever they send us."

I thought this was a function of youth until I heard my 73-year-old friend employ the same verbiage. Strange.

Along with other butcherings ......... :rolleyes:

Besides my experiences in grad school, the relatives I was closest to outside my immediate family were Spanish professors - so I grew up in an atmosphere where language, etymology, etc., were highly respected.

On the other hand, I did my student teaching in a 5th grade class in Boston and to be honest, for some of the students I was pleased if they could write something that was just plain understandable - precise grammar was not a major concern.

Reaction Score
Ann Meyers? She would be on my list of worst commentators of all time.
Yes I said Ann Meyers! That's your opinion so I aint going to argue with you about it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom