ESPN and Bristol | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN and Bristol

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
They will never move in one swoop. Instead it will be a slow migration... sort of like we are starting to see now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Saturday afternoon and ESPN2 has Spikeball.

IMG_20200111_151601385~2.jpg

Reaction Score
that’s not happening. Investors would riot. The truth of the matter is the executives actually like it in CT.

you guys are forgetting what goes into a campus move. They have no trouble attracting talent, have the technology in the area, and can expand and control the grounds at will.

The only thing that would happen is the C-Suite moves to NY. But production. Is always going to be in Bristol. Too costly and not economical to move.
The execs have been mostly in NYC for decades. The production facilities have been move here and there (NY, LA, Miami, WDC, and others) for decades also. Disney just noted that their streaming business alone (Disney, ESPN, Hulu) is now “worth” about $110billion, just by itself. They can do that from almost anywhere.

Reaction Score
The execs have been mostly in NYC for decades. The production facilities have been move here and there (NY, LA, Miami, WDC, and others) for decades also. Disney just noted that their streaming business alone (Disney, ESPN, Hulu) is now “worth” about $110billion, just by itself. They can do that from almost anywhere.
Which executives are you referring to? I think they are still in Bristol but if they are in fact in NYC, it certainly hasn't been for decades.

Reaction Score
Last March I asked AD Benedict why the State of CT didn't or wouldn't put more pressure on ESPN to "help UConn" given all the tax incentives etc., that many here have mentioned over the years. His answer was swift. ESPN is Disney, Disney isn't a CT company and they hold all the cards. Don't believe it? Just look at all the corporate relocation. CT needs ESPN's taxes and jobs more than Disney needs CT.

Reaction Score
ESPN execs are still based in Bristol. Disney execs are spread out between Florida and LA

Reaction Score
Which executives are you referring to? I think they are still in Bristol but if they are in fact in NYC, it certainly hasn't been for decades.
The President’s office? Steve Borstein, then George Bodenheimer, then John Skipper, then the new guy.

Reaction Score
Leads of marketing, sales, digital, international and enterprises were all out of NYC for a long time. In fact there were 5 ESPN offices in NYC a few years back those all got consolidated to 77W66th and Marketing went into the old soap studios across the street if I remember correctly.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Seems like it has really started to pick up the pace. What major personalities are now based in Bristol? I dont really watch any of their talking shows (only watch live sports), so I honestly don't really even now. I just notice via promotions and clips that it continues to spread out.

I saw Andy Katz at the airport and he had a CT license. Does that count?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I’m really trying to avoid politics, but the state government hasn’t been business friendly for 35 years. Sometime in the 1980’s, the state made a very wrong turn.

But another reason for this situation is ESPN wants to keep their valuable talent happy.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Last March I asked AD Benedict why the State of CT didn't or wouldn't put more pressure on ESPN to "help UConn" given all the tax incentives etc., that many here have mentioned over the years. His answer was swift. ESPN is Disney, Disney isn't a CT company and they hold all the cards. Don't believe it? Just look at all the corporate relocation. CT needs ESPN's taxes and jobs more than Disney needs CT.
I own 5 shares of Disney. I’ll make a call and report back.

Reaction Score
Leads of marketing, sales, digital, international and enterprises were all out of NYC for a long time. In fact there were 5 ESPN offices in NYC a few years back those all got consolidated to 77W66th and Marketing went into the old soap studios across the street if I remember correctly.
It’s the old NY Armory.

Reaction Score
Kenny Mayne lives in CT. That's all we really need to know.

Reaction Score
They will never move in one swoop. Instead it will be a slow migration... sort of like we are starting to see now.
That's how United Technologies did it. Hamilton Standard to NC, then Otis to Florida, piece by piece until they flipped Connecticut the bird and took away corporate HQ.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He’s going to DC because he’s from Maryland and his mother is deteriorating and he wants his kids to know their grandma.

Reaction Score
That's how United Technologies did it. Hamilton Standard to NC, then Otis to Florida, piece by piece until they flipped Connecticut the bird and took away corporate HQ.
To be fair, they merged with Raytheon. Most of their plants are still here and employing people.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
To be fair, they merged with Raytheon. Most of their plants are still here and employing people.

isnt Raytheon a mass based company?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom