ESPN and Bristol | The Boneyard

ESPN and Bristol

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Chip chip chip...bit by bit Bristol is melting away. Getup, Greenburg and Steven A in NYC...LA Sportscenter..... PTI in Washington....arent some of those lame afternoon shows run out of FL?

Seems inevitable that the top brass will want to move offices to a major urban area at some point....making Bristol the back office.

So what does this do for local boy Stanford Steve (twitter handle still says Ansonia) who has carve a niche as a SVP's Ed McMahon?

Reaction Score
So what they're doing here is called a REMI. They do it all the time and they're keeping their only really recognizable face happy.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So what they're doing here is called a REMI. They do it all the time and they're keeping their only really recognizable face happy.
Seems like it has really started to pick up the pace. What major personalities are now based in Bristol? I dont really watch any of their talking shows (only watch live sports), so I honestly don't really even now. I just notice via promotions and clips that it continues to spread out.

Reaction Score
All we can hope for is that some of the Boneyard "talent" from Central Connecticut will be hired by ESPN and someday host their shows on remotes from Durham, Stafford Springs and Yalesville thus keeping the headquarters alive in Bristol.

Reaction Score
Chip chip chip...bit by bit Bristol is melting away. Getup, Greenburg and Steven A in NYC...LA Sportscenter..... PTI in Washington....arent some of those lame afternoon shows run out of FL?

Seems inevitable that the top brass will want to move offices to a major urban area at some point....making Bristol the back office.

So what does this do for local boy Stanford Steve (twitter handle still says Ansonia) who has carve a niche as a SVP's Ed McMahon?

While I wouldn't read too much into one person demanding a relocation, yes, if the current trends continue and young, educated people want to live in big cities, and the most successful don't just want it but demand it, that could happen.

But trends don't have to continue forever. NY and Boston are subject to rising sea levels making them less desirable in our lifetimes. One 9/11 level terrorist attack hitting a major city makes smaller cities and suburbs seem safer again. And good government planning can create in smaller cities (certainly like Hartford and New Haven) doing what Stamford is successfully doing and creating an environment that is a small and less expensive version of living in a major city.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
While I wouldn't read too much into one person demanding a relocation, yes, if the current trends continue and young, educated people want to live in big cities, and the most successful don't just want it but demand it, that could happen.

But trends don't have to continue forever. NY and Boston are subject to rising sea levels making them less desirable in our lifetimes. One 9/11 level terrorist attack hitting a major city makes smaller cities and suburbs seem safer again. And good government planning can create in smaller cities (certainly like Hartford and New Haven) doing what Stamford is successfully doing and creating an environment that is a small and less expensive version of living in a major city.
Oh boy.... so much to unpack here. As a near Stamford guy I can tell you that Stamford 110% exists because of the dynamic greater NYC economy. Stamford on its own without the shadow of NYC looming would be doing nothing. Seas may rise and when they do its Denver, Nashville, Austin, and a zillion other better places (warmer/lower cost/lower tax/sunnier) than interior NE that will get the benefit.

And terrorism - that's going to be a real estate trend driver? Yikes. Thats the kind of dark thinking I hear from my hometown in upstate NY.... ie humanity is set to fail and when it does we'll win!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does anyone watch a show based on where it originates? I really don't understand the economics of having each "talent" establish their own fiefdom wherever they want. How many of these guys are really such draws by themselves that the network needs to cater to them? How much redundant staffing and capital investment is required in each location?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Does anyone watch a show based on where it originates? I really don't understand the economics of having each "talent" establish their own fiefdom wherever they want. How many of these guys are really such draws by themselves that the network needs to cater to them? How much redundant staffing and capital investment is required in each location?

Platform vs Personality....the never ending debate for all media companies. Mgmt at Fox/Barstool/MSNBC/CNBC and every media company in the world has this debate..daily....no end in sight.

Reaction Score
They aren't leaving Bristol. There's too much built here and its too much more expensive to put it anywhere else.

Especially considering the massive investment they made in Digital Center 2 at the Bristol campus, which opened only 5 years ago.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Especially considering the massive investment they made in Digital Center 2 at the Bristol campus, which opened only 5 years ago.
5 years will soon quickly be 10 years and 10 is probably the life cycle for a portion of that investment when you are the world wide leader in sports media.
I don't think ESPN is leaving Bristol, but the high watermark seems to be in the rear view mirror. I could see a second HQ or HQ light evolving in the years ahead. LA might be that office or NY.

and I would love to be wrong... CT needs ESPN

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pfizer built the new campus in the Fort Trumbull area of New London in a nice setting for $300 million in 2001 and then walked away from it in 2009. To spend the money and then abandon it was startling. Southeast CT and lower Rhode Island has a lot to offer as a place to live. Now EB is using it for it's design work on the new subs. I hope ESPN stays for the record.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Pfizer built the new campus in the Fort Trumbull area of New London in a nice setting for $300 million in 2001 and then walked away from it in 2009. To spend the money and then abandon it was startling. Southeast CT and lower Rhode Island has a lot to offer as a place to live. Now EB is using it for it's design work on the new subs. I hope ESPN stays for the record.
There is a long history of companies reversing course just years after major investment here in the northeast..... but yeah- I’m not cheering for it, just saying.

Reaction Score

Every business in the state is looking to get out of Connecticut. Why should ESPN be any different?

Reaction Score

Ha, I thought he was in LA doing that show.

Reaction Score
They aren't leaving Bristol. There's too much built here and its too much more expensive to put it anywhere else.
If someone offers them a big enough tax break, and can provide reliable power and bandwidth, they’ll certainly consider leaving. There isn’t much loyalty in most businesses.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If someone offers them a big enough tax break, and can provide reliable power and bandwidth, they’ll certainly consider leaving. There isn’t much loyalty in most businesses.

So ESPN is both dying and willing to spend $1b to relocate to save on taxes, got it, makes sense, checks out

Reaction Score
It is not going anywhere. The reason those shows are where they are is that talent wants to live there, and it is easier to get guests in major cities.

Corporate and production is always going to be in Bristol. they have billions invested in campus And the amount of money it would take to leave and relocate is outrageous.

Hell, they moved a lot of production staff out of Charlotte to Bristol. Headcount is fine over there.

With how remote work is done now, no reason to move.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The Infrastructure is in Bristol in part because of the taxpayers of Connecticut. They are not leaving the state anytime soon.

Reaction Score
So ESPN is both dying and willing to spend $1b to relocate to save on taxes, got it, makes sense, checks out
Disney is making ALL of the calls. And they can waste $1billion and not even care.

Reaction Score
Disney is making ALL of the calls. And they can waste $1billion and not even care.

that’s not happening. Investors would riot. The truth of the matter is the executives actually like it in CT.

you guys are forgetting what goes into a campus move. They have no trouble attracting talent, have the technology in the area, and can expand and control the grounds at will.

The only thing that would happen is the C-Suite moves to NY. But production. Is always going to be in Bristol. Too costly and not economical to move.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom