ESPN AA Team | The Boneyard

ESPN AA Team

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
ESPN leads off the season’s AA teams, POY, etc. with their selections by Creme, Voepel & Philippou as follows:

AA team
Clark
Brink
Watkins
Hidalgo
Bueckers

POY - Clark
FOY - Watkins
COY - Staley

Lots of great players out there, but I have to say that I think ESPN got it right. I have no doubt there will be some grumbling in Baton Rouge….;)

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Watkins
Hidalgo

I just check their stat. Emm...not so good.
Well, Watkins is a high-volume shooter who just lead USC to the PAC-12 conference championship. I know she’s had some head scratching games, where she’s missed a lot of shots. But I’ve also seen her play Big games where she hit everything, not unlike a young Caitlin Clark.

As for Hidalgo, she’s had her share of less than efficient offensive games too. But she is far and away the most dangerous defensive player in the country.

Reaction Score
ESPN leads off the season’s AA teams, POY, etc. with their selections by Creme, Voepel & Philippou as follows:

AA team
Clark
Brink
Watkins
Hidalgo
Bueckers

POY - Clark
FOY - Watkins
COY - Staley

Lots of great players out there, but I have to say that I think ESPN got it right. I have no doubt there will be some grumbling in Baton Rouge….;)
Based on what I’ve seen, the biggest grumbling would be on Kittle being omitted.

Reaction Score

AA team
Clark
Brink
Watkins
Hidalgo
Bueckers

POY - Clark
FOY - Watkins
COY - Staley

Based on what I’ve seen, the biggest grumble would be for omitting Kittle in favor of Hidalgo.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Does AA take into account conference tournament
I’m guessing so, considering that the AA came out today, two days after the end of the major conference tournaments.

Reaction Score

AA team
Clark
Brink
Watkins
Hidalgo
Bueckers

POY - Clark
FOY - Watkins
COY - Staley

4 of the 5 players led their teams to conference tourney titles so I think they did consider those results.

Reaction Score
Those five are good choices but I could see putting Kitley over Watkins.

For the 10 member team Kitley will be there and probably Cardoso, Pilli, and Reese. The last spot I could see going to possibly three or four others.

Reaction Score
Those five are good choices but I could see putting Kitley over Watkins.

For the 10 member team Kitley will be there and probably Cardoso, Pilli, and Reese. The last spot I could see going to possibly three or four others.
Was there a better pure power forward or inside player who didn't play all the time with her back to the basket than Edwards? She was forced to play out of position this year let's not forget. Excluding the UCLA game, which was an anomaly for her, in the 4 other losses against ranked teams, at least 3 of whom were top 5 at one point, being NC St. ,Texas, ND, and SC, she averaged 21.5 and 9 boards a game. Those were in losses. In the games against teams that were in the top 25 when we played them and won, the numbers don't change. I'm biased of course, but ball don't lie. Wait and see what the pro scouts think.

Reaction Score
And how does Hidalgo make the team over ACC player of the year Kitley?

This is ESPN, a Disney property. Hidalgo likely draws more viewers and more clicks than Kitley. The common trait among their AA's is their high entertainment value, not necessarily their basketball value.

I'd like to know how many games Creme actually attended this season.

Reaction Score

AA team
Clark
Brink
Watkins
Hidalgo
Bueckers

POY - Clark
FOY - Watkins
COY - Staley

I’m actually surprised by Hidalgo in the first 5. Even in her conference Kitley was the POY.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is ESPN, a Disney property. Hidalgo likely draws more viewers and more clicks than Kitley. The common trait among their AA's is their high entertainment value, not necessarily their basketball value.

I'd like to know how many games Creme actually attended this season.
While I’ve watched both Kitley & Hidalgo on several occasions, and they are both outstanding players, I would choose Hidalgo over Kitley, because she impacted the game in more ways, and while it pains me to say it, Hidalgo's torching of UConn earlier in the year, probably kept the Huskies from being a 2 seed or even a 1 seed in the Big Dance.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m actually surprised by Hidalgo in the first 5. Even in her conference Kitley was the POY.
Conference play is one thing. But Hidalgo had great games against SC & UConn and she will probably be named the NDPOY.

Reaction Score
While I’ve watched both Kitley & Hidalgo on several occasions, and they are both outstanding players, I would choose Hidalgo over Kitley, because she impacted the game in more ways, and while it pains me to say it, Hidalgo's torching of UConn earlier in the year, probably kept the Huskies from being a 2 seed or even a 1 seed in the Big Dance.
I think if Kitley wasn’t injured, and had played in the ACC semi, they would have defeated ND. But Hidalgo is a special player, no doubt.

Reaction Score
Was there a better pure power forward or inside player who didn't play all the time with her back to the basket than Edwards? She was forced to play out of position this year let's not forget. Excluding the UCLA game, which was an anomaly for her, in the 4 other losses against ranked teams, at least 3 of whom were top 5 at one point, being NC St. ,Texas, ND, and SC, she averaged 21.5 and 9 boards a game. Those were in losses. In the games against teams that were in the top 25 when we played them and won, the numbers don't change. I'm biased of course, but ball don't lie. Wait and see what the pro scouts think.
I certainly think AE would be a wonderful choice for one of the spots. I said I could see three or four others and she would certainly be one of them. Holmes would be another and she made the team last year.

There will be no bad vibes from me if she makes it.

Reaction Score
That is actually a very good last point. The other losses were to teams that were in the top 5 at some point in the season, with both NC State and UCLA being as high as #2, SC being #1 and Texas being a strong top 5. ND winning the ACC makes that loss a little better but a victory would have been that much better in terms of seedings. I don't care what anyone says, being a #1 is huge compared to a #2 or #3. The difference is in the second and third games. You are playing #8, in the second game, perhaps a #29-#32 ranked team whereas as a #3, you play #6 and in the Sweet Sixteen you play #2 and then presumptively #1, making for a tough two game stretch with one day off. It's a much tougher road.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom