ESPN 2021 class rankings | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ESPN 2021 class rankings

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Fudd going to UCLA isn't going to change her #1 ranking if that's what you are insinuating.

Oh. I thought we were discussing the team recruiting ranking. :oops:

That could definitely be adjusted. ;)

Reaction Score
You don’t see the UConn fan trolling the SC Twitter page?

Can't draw a conclusion about the UConn fan base based on one, less than classy, individual. I wouldn't do it to S. Carolina.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Can't draw a conclusion about the UConn fan base based on one, less than classy, individual. I wouldn't do it to S. Carolina.

Again, this is not a UConn fan but an all purpose hater

If you see his other tweets, he is not a real fan of anything but being a trash talking hater. Once heard by accident a podcast of his, pretty virulent stuff

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Over the course of UConn's reign at the top of women's basketball (let's date it back to our first championship), there have been times when UConn has had to "share" space at the top with other programs. For example, between 1995-2000, and 2004-2008. But each time UConn reasserted itself as being alone at the top. Don't be surprised if UConn is once again getting tired of "sharing" room at the top of the mountain and reclaims it's place so that it's once again "UConn and everyone else."
That could very well happen.....but it will be even more impressive if it does considering the landscape at the moment.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
According to ESPN, 92 of the top 100 players are committed. Azzi Fudd is still the big fish out there and she's going to have a say in the final rankings.

For now though...

1. South Carolina
2. North Carolina
3. UConn
4. Texas
5. Notre Dame

giphy.gif

This crap needs to stop.... I'm ok with Little Carolina having the #1 class.... but Big Carolina at #2? This is unacceptable.

Reaction Score
now, back to those 2021 class rankings . . .

What do you think of the S.C. rankings? You think that SC has 3 of the top 4 or so recruits? How close do you think any of them are to Azzi Fudd?

If one is close to Azzi Fudd- do you think SC may have an "all-time great team" 3 years from now?

I ask that question because I'm guessing you and some other SC fans have an idea that your peak team will be when Boston is a senior and if you believe this 2021 class is very near what "ESPN" is saying then I just wonder what your expectations would be?

I just wonder how awesome some of you SC fans think this 2021 recruiting class is.

Reaction Score
What do you think of the S.C. rankings? You think that SC has 3 of the top 4 or so recruits? How close do you think any of them are to Azzi Fudd?

If one is close to Azzi Fudd- do you think SC may have an "all-time great team" 3 years from now?

I ask that question because I'm guessing you and some other SC fans have an idea that your peak team will be when Boston is a senior and if you believe this 2021 class is very near what "ESPN" is saying then I just wonder what your expectations would be?

I just wonder how awesome some of you SC fans think this 2021 recruiting class is.
Given the strange circumstances we’re in, I take all the rankings with much more of a grain of salt than I normally do. Nevertheless....

IDK if Raven Johnson should be #2, but I feel moving her into the Top 10 was deserving. I’m fine with Feagin remaining at 6. I thought Bree Hall was very underrated at #26 so I was very happy to see her boosted into the Top 15, where she may prove still to be underrated. I believe Saniyah Rivers should be the one at #2 and in the debate for top ‘21 recruit in the country. But I’m fine with her at #3. The #3 of 2019 turned out to be the top freshman last season so I can’t complain. :cool:
EDIT: Ugh, I forgot Sania Feagin moved up to #4. Head bang
#4 or #6, I’m good either way and with her bunched in next to Ducharme and Moore.

I’m fine with SC finishing #2 in the rankings if Fudd goes to UConn. UConn already has a very good class with #5, 15, and 30. Being ranked #1 in ‘19 was more important to me as I don’t feel there was any real debate there despite Stanford’s very nice class.

I’m really looking forward to seeing all of the ‘19 class as upperclassmen. Boston and Cooke have already showed their potential. I believe Brea Beal‘s offensive game will develop, joining her already very fine contribution on defense. Lastly, and most intriguing, you have Laeticia Amihere. Her knee surgeries are well over a year in her rear view. The gaudy knee brace is gone and she’s gotten to have a real offseason of work outs and full on court activities/practices with her teammates. Health willing of course, I believe she will be markedly improved this season and by her junior season, will start showing the abilities that had her previously ranked so high in high school.

I’m not concerned about all time greatness. That stuff is subjective. I’m just ready for a second national championship, and whatever comes beyond that, and the ‘19 and ‘21 classes should have South Carolina in contention for the next few years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The expectation will be to contend for the national title every year they are there.

I'm very high on Feagin.

I know they'll all defend at a high level. Very interested to see how they shoot it.

Hard to see how it isn't a great class.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

This crap needs to stop.... I'm ok with Little Carolina having the #1 class.... but Big Carolina at #2? This is unacceptable.
Maybe the AD should have declined to extend JPM in Spring of 2019 and you wouldn’t be a year late :rolleyes:...I do think you will be perfectly fine after the next couple of years.;)

Reaction Score
Given the strange circumstances we’re in, I take all the rankings with much more of a grain of salt than I normally do. Nevertheless....

IDK if Raven Johnson should be #2, but I feel moving her into the Top 10 was deserving. I’m fine with Feagin remaining at 6. I thought Bree Hall was very underrated at #26 so I was very happy to see her boosted into the Top 15, where she may prove still to be underrated. I believe Saniyah Rivers should be the one at #2 and in the debate for top ‘21 recruit in the country. But I’m fine with her at #3. The #3 of 2019 turned out to be the top freshman last season so I can’t complain. :cool:
EDIT: Ugh, I forgot Sania Feagin moved up to #4. Head bang
#4 or #6, I’m good either way and with her bunched in next to Ducharme and Moore.

I’m fine with SC finishing #2 in the rankings if Fudd goes to UConn. UConn already has a very good class with #5, 15, and 30. Being ranked #1 in ‘19 was more important to me as I don’t feel there was any real debate there despite Stanford’s very nice class.

I’m really looking forward to seeing all of the ‘19 class as upperclassmen. Boston and Cooke have already showed their potential. I believe Brea Beal‘s offensive game will develop, joining her already very fine contribution on defense. Lastly, and most intriguing, you have Laeticia Amihere. Her knee surgeries are well over a year in her rear view. The gaudy knee brace is gone and she’s gotten to have a real offseason of work outs and full on court activities/practices with her teammates. Health willing of course, I believe she will be markedly improved this season and by her junior season, will start showing the abilities that had her previously ranked so high in high school.

I’m not concerned about all time greatness. That stuff is subjective. I’m just ready for a second national championship, and whatever comes beyond that, and the ‘19 and ‘21 classes should have South Carolina in contention for the next few years.

Thanks for the reply. I’m one that believes in elite recruits over a bench. Thus I believe right now you have 1 “extreme” superstar recruit in Boston. If Rivers is the player you think – you are going to see a level of play imo that will exceed anything a SC fan for their team has ever seen before. And that includes this past year. That’s why I asked about “all-time great.” The joy of watching something perfect in which the only way you are going to lose is some team puts out some unreal game against you.

So you think Rivers is near as good as Fudd?

And if you think you have 4 players in the top 15 – of which one is super-elite like Boston form previous year and maybe one or two others are top 8 or even top 6 or better—then you realize you will have one crazy-great hoop team, right?

The thing is UCONN is putting together one beast of a class too- though imo they need Azzi Fudd badly (unless some recruits and many of their current players hit their potential ceilings which is a tall task for to have “many.”). Potentially we’re headed on a collision course for several years like the Old UCLA men’s teams with Alcindor vs Hayes, or Walton vs David Thompson. Or GTown Hoyas Ewing and Sleepy Floyd vs Jordan and Worthy.

If Rivers (or any of the 2021 recruits are super-elite like Boston), and if UCONN gets Azzi, we’re destined to have some epic/over-the-top great games.

By the way, Haley Jones is a beast. I’m not sure what Baylor has coming after Smith.

Reaction Score
With the number of transfers that are are occurring and they challenge of keeping recruiting classes together I'm not sure how important the rank of a particular recruiting class is anymore anyway.

Reaction Score

I believe it is second best if our history. The 2019 class, the best, is semi-proven in battle. This 2021 class doe not have a big/post. Feagen can produce as a big, but not at the post position. Is Raven # 2? Doesn't matter. She is a high quality point guard that has won numerous state championships in hs and has performed well against quality competition on the AAU circuit. She is what we needed in this class.

"1 consensus Fudd may be great. Consensus #2 Rivers may be great. Either could prove to be the best over the course of their careers. Raven, as a point guard, will be judged differently.

Is it the best this year / will it be the best if Azi chooses UConn? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Hoopgurlz will probably declare us No. 1 based on an average ranking per player using their rankings. Some other services will have UConn #1. Both schools have/will have great classes. We want to be in it with UConn for the long haul , not just a year here and there.

UConn is the gold standard. Ya'll aren't going anywhere. We want to hang with y'all at the TOP. . Of the Top 15 prospects in Hoopgurlz 2021, SCar and UCONN have 7 of the top 15 players now. Make it 8 if ya'll get Azi. That's hanging.

Our 2019 was/is great. 2020 was kind of a hole with one four star. Thus, 2022 will be important for the long haul. UConn 2020 was excellent, 2021 is excellent even without Azi.

2022 will be important. We will have 5 schollies available. A big post is critical for us to stay hanging with you in the future. Need somebody backing up Boston when she is a senior and ready to take over the post when she leaves. Betts and Nnaji appear to be on both of our lists, though y'all already have a great commitment from a post. Consensus Top 15, Ashlynn Watkins, is probably ours. I expect us to take 2 quality posts of we can get them.

Am I happy with this call? Oh yes!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Feagen can produce as a big, but not at the post position.

I’d rethink that statement about Feagin. She plays the Post position for her high school squad although she’ll likely play stretch four at SC. She’s dominated every event she’s been invited to and she was named Queen of the Paint from Day 1 at the Wootten150 showcase. I’ve seen tons of evaluators say she’s the best combo big in this class and has drawn comparison to Candace Parker.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’d rethink that statement about Feagin. She plays the Post position for her high school squad although she’ll likely play stretch four at SC. She’s dominated every event she’s been invited to and she was named Queen of the Paint from Day 1 at the Wootten150 showcase. I’ve seen tons of evaluators say she’s the best combo big in this class and has drawn comparison to Candace Parker.

She is definitely a "big" and can play post, but I don't think that's her best position. She has great moves to the hoop as a stretch four. Her offense from there is better than keeping her in the bucket. He can also defend opponents further out from the hoop. She will probably back up Boston at post as a frosh and draw the chore of facing up with her in practice. Dawn is clearly placing a premium on getting a quality 2022 post (or two), so I think the plan is stretch four down the line.

Reaction Score

Like A'ja Wilson she might never play a ton of minutes at 5, but she's more than capable of being better than anyone else's 5 when she does.

Maybe I'm too high on her and low on the others, but she's the most no doubt star of the class to me. Granted, I've not seen any full games of her and that's the only dependable way of knowing, but the skill set shines in highlights.

South Carolina's biggest concern is how the pieces fit together (socially maybe more than athletically) and how it plays in the big games.

UConn will be there too, I feel sure. They seem fated to clash, but some other elite and who knows perhaps not elite teams will have something to say about it too.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Like A'ja Wilson she might never play a ton of minutes at 5, but she's more than capable of being better than anyone else's 5 when she does.

Maybe I'm too high on her and low on the others, but she's the most no doubt star of the class to me. Granted, I've not seen any full games of her and that's the only dependable way of knowing, but the skill set shines in highlights.

South Carolina's biggest concern is how the pieces fit together (socially maybe more than athletically) and how it plays in the big games.

UConn will be there too, I feel sure. They seem fated to clash, but some other elite and who knows perhaps not elite teams will have something to say about it too.
Socially ? I think these girls just have fun.....

Reaction Score

What I like most about this class other than their versatility is the defensive potential they have. Outside of Columbia not many folks expected our 2019 class to be as good so early but that’s because they didn’t realize how good they were defensively coming out of high school. I think the same will be said for the 21’Class with 4 elite defenders coming in. All are incredible lockdown defenders and I think they’ll be able to proved that as soon as they reach campus next year. That to me is what separates them as #1 class from everyone else IMO.

Reaction Score
What I like most about this class other than their versatility is the defensive potential they have. Outside of Columbia not many folks expected our 2019 class to be as good so early but that’s because they didn’t realize how good they were defensively coming out of high school. I think the same will be said for the 21’Class with 4 elite defenders coming in. All are incredible lockdown defenders and I think they’ll be able to proved that as soon as they reach campus next year. That to me is what separates them as #1 class from everyone else IMO.

I don't think there is any question that they will defend.

Because of the Boston class, I don't think any of them necessarily will start. Seems like they'll help create the best second unit in the country from the drop. (that's not what wins national titles, but will put a lot of games away)

it will be interesting to compare the two classes about 6 years from now.

Reaction Score
I don't think there is any question that they will defend.

Because of the Boston class, I don't think any of them necessarily will start. Seems like they'll help create the best second unit in the country from the drop. (that's not what wins national titles, but will put a lot of games away)

it will be interesting to compare the two classes about 6 years from now.

yeah I figured they won’t be starters until their junior season but I don’t think it’ll be a drop off from the starters when they enter the game. I’ve seen all in person on multiple occasions and they have that “it” factor that the 19’ class has, of course I may be a bit biased but those four young ladies could really be special for our program over the next couple years.

Reaction Score

Other perspectives:

MVP’s

2021’s – Sania Feagin / Jersey Wolfenbarger

2022’s – Talaysia Cooper / Kailyn Gilbert

2023’s – Taliah Scott / Jada Williams

Feagin really seemed to impress....

Reaction Score
Other perspectives:

MVP’s

2021’s – Sania Feagin / Jersey Wolfenbarger

2022’s – Talaysia Cooper / Kailyn Gilbert

2023’s – Taliah Scott / Jada Williams

Feagin really seemed to impress....

Hearing she’s the real deal for sure, as soon as she stepped on the court her presence was felt! Very similar ability to A’ja Wilson and Candace Parker which will be exciting to watch the next 5 years.

Reaction Score
I believe it is second best if our history. The 2019 class, the best, is semi-proven in battle. This 2021 class doe not have a big/post. Feagen can produce as a big, but not at the post position. Is Raven # 2? Doesn't matter. She is a high quality point guard that has won numerous state championships in hs and has performed well against quality competition on the AAU circuit. She is what we needed in this class.

Am I happy with this call? Oh yes!

You’re are extremely high on Rivers and Feagin. If at least one is a superstar – you’ll have 2. With that, and you’re going to have possible at least 2 other very good players that support more than likely – so you already have 3- you’re on your way to witnessing your team play at a certain quality level unlike anything you’ve ever seen from your team before.

I realize this past years team was amazing for you but there were quite a few games that you won but you didn’t crush along with the Indiana game. Nearly 40% of your games (a loss combined loss with 12 others) – nearly 40% - were decided by 15 points or less. In reality – you were a hard team to beat – but you were not a super great all-time team.

One poster said he didn’t care about all-time great. Sure in one manner you don’t. It’s just about the wins. And in some cases you might prefer winning gritty games as a fan (though I prefer watching complete annihilation.).

Just put this in perspective: The 09-10, 14-15, and 15-16 UCONN Teams had a total of 17 games in which they won by 20 or less. Nine of the17 were 15 or less. If your 2021 class is near what the 2/3/4 rating is and at least 1 if not 2 are superstar caliber – you’re going to enjoy something on a whole another level. Those 13 games of 15 or less can possibly be 2 years of 13 or less.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom