Eric Frede said halfway through the 4th quarter | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Eric Frede said halfway through the 4th quarter

Reaction Score
Take some comfort in the recent past. After 2015-16, we all lamented the loss of 3 AA’s, no size, no experience, no depth and only 2 returning starters, one of whom was coming back from a broken foot. Under Geno, UConn will find a way to be competitive next season.

One more comforting thought. Every other top team, with the possible exception of Oregon, will lose critical players after this season. I for one feel much better about UConn’s chances next season then I would if I were a fan of Baylor, Louisville, MS St or ND.[/QUOTE

Your have casuistry of that there is no doubt.
You were right about Coombs being a very good defender the more time she gets the more it shows. In Kansas she showed her stuff.
Your first paragraph. I don't know whether to cheer it of --argue the opposite. Your last sentence in that paragraph is usually correct. This year, if he hasn't recruited a big overseas somewhere, I can't see the light at the end of this tunnel. Uconn, without new blood, next year will have: Aubrey, Danger, CW, Walker, Ono that's a pretty good start but it puts Uconn back into this years problems--6,7,8th players, SIZE. 4 of those mentioned will need a terrific soph/Jr jump. Geno usually comes through--I just wonder where, how????

Reaction Score
My only concern with this team offensively is that there are times they stop moving. We can get away with this against the easier opponents on our schedule. But, against better teams we don't seem to have that playmaker who can blow by people on the dribble. Napheesa is incredible inside, but when we stop moving other teams with larger interior players crowd the middle (Baylor, Louisville) and she becomes less effective. We rely on passing, screens and motion, but when we stop moving so does our offense. We become an outside shooting team, which is ok when we're hot, but if we're cold, especially against the better teams, we are in trouble.

The last two games worry me, because while there were flashes of brilliance and some pretty awesome runs, there were long periods where we couldn't score. Not to be mean, these were nowhere near the caliber of teams we will face late in the tournament.

I am liking what I am seeing, CD is coming on, Megan is more out of her funks than in and KLS is having some better games. While these nagging feelings of dread are greater this year I am hoping we will still prevail.

Reaction Score
It’s unfortunate that as great as UConn WBB has been, and continues to be, it will never satisfy some fans expectations. If UConn doesn’t score 100 points, win by 60, shoot 70% from the floor with all 5 starters in double figures, criticism of the players and/or coaches seems to bubble up from a place I don’t quite understand.

For those that feel this sense of angst, I strongly encourage you to go back and watch some of the close UConn games from past championship seasons on uconnhuskygames. What you will see is great UConn teams that shoot badly, turn the ball over and otherwise play less than satisfying basketball.

My absolute favorite “ugly game” was the 2010 championship game vs Stanford. UConn couldn’t throw the ball in the ocean. The Huskies fell behind by double digits in the 1st half, clawed their way back in the 2nd half and somehow managed to win 53-47.

The young ladies on this team are not perfect, but they most certainly are extraordinary.
I was there...and you are correct.... it was staggeringly ugly, but the trophy looks just the same as the prettiest wins.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ho hum...those who extract gloom or glee from any given team's performance against any other given team, and then attempt to apply that emotion to expectations about team #1's anticipated performance vs. any other given team haven’t watched a lot of sports.
Quoting your post so I can like it again

+1

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm a big Megan fan, as she comes from the same state where I live. She had a good start on the boards, but couldn't make a shot. She looked sluggish and perhaps sick later on.

Reaction Score
I'm a big Megan fan, as she comes from the same state where I live. She had a good start on the boards, but couldn't make a shot. She looked sluggish and perhaps sick later on.
I am a big Megan fan too. I think there are times when she looks disinterested. I don't know if it is because she has such a calm exterior presence or she is really disinterested! I think yesterday she was frustrated in getting such few looks. She forced at least two shots that I saw, one being that turn around jumper when she was well guarded.

She is going to be key, in the playoffs, when other teams key in on KLS and she will have to make those three pointers

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Domers about to lose all 5 of their starters, I suspect. I really hope they don't cut down any nets this year, because if they don't, it's gonna be a few seasons before they're serious title contenders again, because the Domer bench is astoundingly bare beneath the surface of the best starting 5 in WBB right now.

Not all 5. Jackie young is a junior, and has been a starter for every game this season. Below is a snap shot of their latest game box score vs Duke on 2/22/19.

1551292513367.png

Jackie Young G 6-0 JR Princeton, IN

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Oh and Jordy...

I was more an executive, artistic director type than a real conductor.
And as such; I encouraged great playing and teamwork and reviled the alternative.
At the point that my orchestra realized that they could play consistantly
wonderfully without my hounding them, they chucked me out...

Still doing it; 20-odd years later; makes me proud.

(Change that 20 to a 30, and that "me" to "us," and it's kinda the way many of us feel about Geno and CD...……………..

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Young will be a senior next year, but she will also be old enough by WNBA rules to declare for the draft after this season if she chooses to do so.

Thanks OD, I didn't know she was eligible for the draft. In that case, I stand corrected. IF she's eligible for the draft, based on the other 4 leaving, I can understand FarmFan's comment. Odds are she will probably opt for the draft. Next year's starters will not bring a lot of experience (2018-2019 minutes) with them. Muffet, like Geno uses her bench sparingly.

Reaction Score
that Uconn had a lot to be happy about with regard this game (paraphrase).

I disagree

Walker was 0 for 4
Williams wasn't looking to shoot...even that last drive seemed half-hearted

The team had god-awful lulls.....in the 2nd quarter and to start both the third and the fourth

Against a real team they would find themselves 15 or 20 behind if they played like that.

Decent team, yes...National Championship team: I have my doubts
Uh-Oh, you said something negative about our team.:(

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The most important takeaway was @ Christine Dailey as a coach: She is superb, a coach, cheerleader, instructor. She rotated kids out taught them, rotated in and they played better. I think Christine Dailey will be an excellent replacement for Geno (if she doesn't retire first).
Unless something really bad happens (Geno hit by a bus, etc.) CD is retiring when Geno does.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Thanks OD, I didn't know she was eligible for the draft. In that case, I stand corrected. IF she's eligible for the draft, based on the other 4 leaving, I can understand FarmFan's comment. Odds are she will probably opt for the draft. Next year's starters will not bring a lot of experience (2018-2019 minutes) with them. Muffet, like Geno uses her bench sparingly.
Exactly, that's why I ended my statement by saying, "I suspect" all 5 will leave. I can't see why JY would stay for a senior season involving a soup to nuts rebuild that's not likely to end in a championship (let alone a deep run), when she's projected by nearly everyone to be a top ten draft pick.

Reaction Score
I will agree that without Geno the team did not look like it has in the past few games. We have been improving and we are looking much better each and every game. Our outside shooting is still a little to quick and by that I mean to many times we dont have our feet set and we rush our shots. In the second half we moved the ball much quicker and you saw our treys falling. Thats because by moving the ball quickly defenses cant get to us fast enough and we have that split second to set our feet and a better chance of making out shots.

Our outside shooting has been inconsistent. We saw that in our 2 losses. We also saw that in the 4th qtr we were still in the game. At this point in the season we have exploded for over 100 pts 3 times. Everybody was involved and scoring well. Point is we are much more improved then we were a month ago and not many teams can say that. We have a little more depth we can count on. Ono and MC are contributing more and are threats on offense and defense.

We are not invincible this season. We are still really really good and ranked 2 in the polls. That says alot. Come regional finals we will find out who can play under that kind of pressure and who cant. Thats where UConns experience will come in. I like our chances alot.
Tonyc: Again I have to dig to disagree with any words
Unless something really bad happens (Geno hit by a bus, etc.) CD is retiring when Geno does.
And you know this how? Is this a given, a fact, or an assumption? A direct pipeline to Christines phone/email? Remember today the New 65 is the OLD 65 and people hang in for many reasons.

Reaction Score
I was there...and you are correct.... it was staggeringly ugly, but the trophy looks just the same as the prettiest wins.
It has been my observation that often times the ugliest of NC's make the most satisfying wins. As the man said: A W is a W no matter how you get there.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And you know this how? Is this a given, a fact, or an assumption? A direct pipeline to Christines phone/email? Remember today the New 65 is the OLD 65 and people hang in for many reasons.
Common knowledge? Common sense?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Young will be a senior next year, but she will also be old enough by WNBA rules to declare for the draft after this season if she chooses to do so.

Hearing she’ll declare.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom