Eric Cobb - C (JuCo) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Eric Cobb - C (JuCo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just saying, not to disagree with anything because all you said was right, but ZB at the end of the day was/is a low 4-star recruit. He's so raw, I think Carleton is the better recruit regardless of background issues

Let's hope we are saying this in a couple years, yet another recruiting situation that works out better due to extenuating circumstances. This could be one of those I agree.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Just saying, not to disagree with anything because all you said was right, but ZB at the end of the day was/is a low 4-star recruit. He's so raw, I think Carleton is the better recruit regardless of background issues
Possibly! But he was a consensus 5-star when we landed him, and Willie Jackson was a high-rated 4-star when we landed him, and this all goes back to my take that the sanctions HURT our ability to really identify the players we wanted as early in the cycle as possible.

Compare that to this past class. We got on Jackson early and stayed on him even when he started dropping... any regrets? We knew we wanted Vital after he decommitted even though he was a 3-star recruit... any regrets?

Things can be better, for sure. But things are getting better – the process is improving – and I believe, in the long run, that's what matters.

EDIT: And just so it's on the record... I am hesitant on Carlton. I can see his usefulness, but I worry about his lack of lift/no quick second-jump and thus an inability to rebound out of area. This is what's killed Enoch's numbers more than anything.

Reaction Score
Possibly! But he was a consensus 5-star when we landed him, and Willie Jackson was a high-rated 4-star when we landed him, and this all goes back to my take that the sanctions HURT our ability to really identify the players we wanted as early in the cycle as possible.

Compare that to this past class. We got on Jackson early and stayed on him even when he started dropping... any regrets? We knew we wanted Vital after he decommitted even though he was a 3-star recruit... any regrets?

Things can be better, for sure. But things are getting better – the process is improving – and I believe, in the long run, that's what matters.

EDIT: And just so it's on the record... I am hesitant on Carlton. I can see his usefulness, but I worry about his lack of lift/no quick second-jump and thus an inability to rebound out of area. This is what's killed Enoch's numbers more than anything.
Yeah I can see where there is worry with Carlton being the only big we get, but I believe we will get a JuCo or PG, it just kinda has to happen. Also, Jackson dropped from (without doing any research, just what I think I can recall) from like top 30 to around 75 because of his lack of athleticism,
but ZB dropped from like top 5 to ~100 because early on he was just dominating with size. He is huge but it seems as if he doesn't have much skill at all, while Carlton can pass, and has good post moves. Vital is exceeding expectations, but he has to with our situation. Not taking anything away from the kid, but if AG was healthy he wouldn't be getting near the minutes he is and thus he wouldn't have done much more than what we expected, in my opinion.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Vital is exceeding expectations, but he has to with our situation. Not taking anything away from the kid, but if AG was healthy he wouldn't be getting near the minutes he is and thus he wouldn't have done much more than what we expected, in my opinion.
Which is kind of the point, right? Our 5th-best recruit in this class just won Rookie of the Week, while our second-best recruit in 2014 was Rakim Lubin.

Reaction Score
Which is kind of the point, right? Our 5th-best recruit in this class just won Rookie of the Week, while our second-best recruit in 2014 was Rakim Lubin.
Yeah I mean Vital is doing better than we expected, but I'm just saying it's due to our injuries that he's getting the burn he is. And Rock was only in a 3-man class, and I'd still argue SC3 was still much more impactful than he was, can't really compare him and Vital.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Yeah I mean Vital is doing better than we expected, but I'm just saying it's due to our injuries that he's getting the burn he is.
You're missing the point: Even if we gave Lubin a million minutes, he would never have been productive at this level. Ever.

And Rock was only in a 3-man class, and I'd still argue SC3 was still much more impactful than he was, can't really compare him and Vital.
I was only factoring in straight-out-of-high-school recruits. If we're talking transfers as well, then Vital was the 6th man in a 6th-man class, and he's MUCH better than most thought he would be at this point.

Reaction Score
You're missing the point: Even if we gave Lubin a million minutes, he would never have been productive at this level. Ever.

I was only factoring in straight-out-of-high-school recruits. If we're talking transfers as well, then Vital was the 6th man in a 6th-man class, and he's MUCH better than most thought he would be at this point.

Well yeah because Rock wouldn't be able to stay on the floor for 15 minutes without fouling out, no argument in that Vital is the much better players.

Okay, well if we're going with that yeah obviously Rock was the 2nd best player in a 2 man class with D Ham. Again, Vital has been good, but I think we are overstating his play due to the lowered expectations we had with him coming in.

Reaction Score
Well yeah because Rock wouldn't be able to stay on the floor for 15 minutes without fouling out, no argument in that Vital is the much better players.

Okay, well if we're going with that yeah obviously Rock was the 2nd best player in a 2 man class with D Ham. Again, Vital has been good, but I think we are overstating his play due to the lowered expectations we had with him coming in.

Geez I'm not at all in agreement with that, you are undervaluing CV I believe. Sure he came in as a 3rd/4th guard off the bench and was given the chance early on to play a more pivotal role with injuries. At first we saw the scared freshman who struggled shooting even a ly up never mind a trey, he turned it over often and although he hustled he fouled a lot and was not always in the best of position. I believe we've seen an about face for the most part by the kid, one of our best defenders who stick his nose in on everything and rebounds the ball too, starting to make both 3's and lay ins while playing with much more confidence with the ball. I believe he's a really nice player and MAL will have a tough time taking the 3rd guard label away for sure. Love the kid, true Husky, works hard is all over the place and improving at all once. I'm all in on Vital, not an all-AAC guy but an excellent 4 year guy no doubt.

Reaction Score
Geez I'm not at all in agreement with that, you are undervaluing CV I believe. Sure he came in as a 3rd/4th guard off the bench and was given the chance early on to play a more pivotal role with injuries. At first we saw the scared freshman who struggled shooting even a ly up never mind a trey, he turned it over often and although he hustled he fouled a lot and was not always in the best of position. I believe we've seen an about face for the most part by the kid, one of our best defenders who stick his nose in on everything and rebounds the ball too, starting to make both 3's and lay ins while playing with much more confidence with the ball. I believe he's a really nice player and MAL will have a tough time taking the 3rd guard label away for sure. Love the kid, true Husky, works hard is all over the place and improving at all once. I'm all in on Vital, not an all-AAC guy but an excellent 4 year guy no doubt.
I completely agree on CV Mau. He is a perfect 4 year rotation guy that you can win championships with. Our program and its success have been built on guys like him. He's also fearless and shows good leadership skills already. He seems to think he's a better 3 point shooter than he actually is and forces too many up but with a lot more options next year that shouldn't be an issue. We're very fortunate to have this kid.

Reaction Score
We need an active body to man the 4/5 spot... One that can rebound, eat space, score a couple of buckets when need be... Akin to a Johnnie Selvie type... No more stiffs...

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Apparently the 15-o point differential in Cincy's favor when Eunoch was on the floor did not go unnoticed by Ollie. Ollie has no choice. This guy will be no worse than Nolan and we won a lot of games with Nolan just showing up in the right spot on the floor.

Reaction Score
Count me in the camp that is happier w/ Carlton than Brown; nothing to do with Brown's legal/mental issues. Watch some tapes of Brown. He was never all that good- imo another guy who was just bigger than everyone else and could dominate as a result. When he commited to us he was still in the top 25 and in no time was plummeting due to a lack of improvement.

I'm hoping with some physical training, Carlton can be Jake Voskuhl. They were both ranked in the same vicinity and we all know that Jake was incredibly underrated nationally and was a perfect 5 for those teams. With our depth at the 1, 2, 3, give me someone who can set a screen, throw an outlet pass, and not be a giant puss inside. Carlton is far from a "sexy" recruit, but he comes from a great program and seems to be fundamentally pretty solid.

Reaction Score
Indeed. I had my doubts that Evans' report was real, but Cobb & Killings just followed each other on twitter.

Let's get this kid a nutritionist, STAT.

We also need another Big to help where most of the work is done, that is the lab i.e. In practices. Most of player development happens in practices and the more competition for big men the better.

Even if Cobb is not a game changer I would much rather have Enoch going up against Cobb every day than Foxen (no disrespect to Foxen).

Matrim55

Reaction Score
We also need another Big to help where most of the work is done, that is the lab i.e. In practices. Most of player development happens in practices and the more competition for big men the better.

Even if Cobb is not a game changer I would much rather have Enoch going up against Cobb every day than Foxen (no disrespect to Foxen).
I get what you're saying, but this presumes the Enoch we saw the other night, and in the first half of the Auburn game, is the Enoch we'll be seeing for the next two years. I'm just not convinced that'll be the case and would be much more comfortable if the staff targeted a postgrad big who we knew could step in and play 25 high-level minutes next season.

Landing a postgrad would also open up another scholarship for us to use on the 2018 class, which I wouldn't hate given how much work we already seem to have done with some high-level targets.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I get what you're saying, but this presumes the Enoch we saw the other night, and in the first half of the Auburn game, is the Enoch we'll be seeing for the next two years. I'm just not convinced that'll be the case and would be much more comfortable if the staff targeted a postgrad big who we knew could step in and play 25 high-level minutes next season.

Landing a postgrad would also open up another scholarship for us to use on the 2018 class, which I wouldn't hate given how much work we already seem to have done with some high-level targets.
His offense was good in the USF game but he still showed slow reaction time on defense. Tonight will give us a better idea if he's developing on defense.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I can't believe the Eric Cobb thread was bumped with something that isn't his tweet announcing he's committing soon.

Reaction Score
i thought we were saying next to everyone with potential character issues this week?

Reaction Score

What has killed Enoch more than anything has nothing to do with any actual or imagined physical limitations. Enoch's package, physically, is fine. What kills Enoch is a flabbergasting lack of understanding as to how to play his position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom