EPL update | Page 5 | The Boneyard

EPL update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This Tottenham - Chelsea game is getting ugly. Spurs can't hold a 2-0 lead, and now both sides are just taking one another out with hard tackles and cheap shots. Lamela and Dier lucky not to get red cards. Spurs have 6 minutes added time to try and keep their slim title hopes alive.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Leicester....

Spurs can't hold a lead... again. Now maybe that the pressure is off they can get 3 points v Southampton to secure St. Arsenal's Day.

12 yellow cards on the day, 9 to Tottenham, 3 to Chelsea... and the teams were fighting as they are leaving the pitch heading into the tunnel. Ugly ending to an ugly second half.

Won't be surprised if Lamela is suspended for stepping on the Chelsea players hand

Reaction Score
With this weeks games in the books the top 4 bottom 3 contention looks like:

1 - Leicester - Champions
2- Tottenham 70 pts,+39 GD (Southampton, @Newcastle)
3- Arsenal 67 pts, +25 GD (@City, Villa)
4- City 64 pts, +30 GD (Arsenal, @Swansea) + at least one @Real Madrid
5- United 60 pts, +12 GD (@Norwich, @West Ham, Bournemouth) - 3 matches remaining

17- Newcastle 33 pts, -25 GD (@Villa, Tottenham)
18- Sunderland 32 pts, -18 GD (Chelsea, Everton, @Watford) - 3 matches remaining
19- Norwich 31 pts, -26 GD (United, Watford, @Everton) - 3 matches remaining
20 - Aston Villa - relegated

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Bummer. I was hoping they'd clinch at home vs. Everton and I'm an Everton supporter.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Just saw on the Bottom Line that Leicester's championship is the first time a club not named Chelsea, Arsenal, ManU, or Man City has won the title since 1994-95. That's just insane!

They were 5000-1 odds to win the title.

Congrats to them. A truly magical season and I hope they represent well next year in the Champions League.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Leicester. 14th to 1st in one season is an amazing story. Though I always want Arsenal to win, if its not their year (it never is), I am glad to see one of the underdogs take it versus the usual collection of Man U/Man City/Liverpool/Chelsea.

Reaction Score
Chelsea and Spurs charged by FA for failure to control their players
LINK

"Mousa Dembele has been charged for an alleged act of violent conduct which was not seen by the match officials but caught on video during the same game. Further, it is alleged the player's behaviour constituted violent conduct in circumstances where the standard punishment of three matches that would otherwise apply is clearly insufficient."

Dembele could be looking at a 10 game ban. So he and Alli are done for the season, and Spurs are lucky Lamela is not suspended too.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Chelsea and Spurs charged by FA for failure to control their players
LINK

"Mousa Dembele has been charged for an alleged act of violent conduct which was not seen by the match officials but caught on video during the same game. Further, it is alleged the player's behaviour constituted violent conduct in circumstances where the standard punishment of three matches that would otherwise apply is clearly insufficient."

Dembele could be looking at a 10 game ban. So he and Alli are done for the season, and Spurs are lucky Lamela is not suspended too.
Yikes.

Reaction Score
Spurs were a no show today, pretty pathetic final home game. With the City-Arsenal game ending a draw, they've at least secured a top 3 finish, but still... disappointing. A win would have guaranteed top 2.
Arsenal managed to get a good road result. With a home game v Villa on Sunday, they are a lock for top 3 (and St Tottenham day is still within their sights)
City has to be real concerned as they no longer control their own destiny
United is licking their chops in anticipation of a HUGE game Tuesday @ West Ham
Sunderland with an epic comeback @ Chelsea, A win v Everton Wednesday clinches their spot in the PL next season.

Reaction Score
No different than in seasons past, NBC network will be airing all 10 EPL games Sunday across 10 different NBC affiliated channels. They are waiting until midweek to place the games on which channel.
Today's West Ham v Man U game and tomorrow's Sunderland v Everton game results will go a long way in determining who is on NBC, who is on USA, who is on NBC Sports, etc...
The 2 biggest games probably involve both Manchester's.
Here's what's at stake in each game Sunday.
Swansea v City - City must win (and hope that United drops points along the way) to get top 4 finish. They no longer control their destiny.
Southampton v Palace - Southampton playing for Europa league, they do not cotnrol their destiny, but 3 points positions them well to be in Europe (barring Palace upsetting United in FA Cup final)
Arsenal v Villa - Arsenal guaranteed top 3, playing for a chance to finish top 2 and finishing above their NL rival. Spurs has to lose for that to happen. Goal diff favors Spurs +13.
Watford v Sunderland - If Sunderland beats Everton tomorrow, they are safe from relegation. If they draw or lose, then this game is massive. Either way they will control their destiny
Everton v Norwich - See Sunderland above.... Norwich has to win out v Watford tomorrow, then still hope Newcastle drops points and Sunderland lose out. They do not control their fate
Stoke v West Ham - West Ham playing to guarantee a place in Europa League
United v Bournemouth - Man U controls their own Champions League destiny. If they win out (today @ West Ham and v Bournemouth, they are in.
West Brom v Liverpool - Liverpool playing for Europa League spot, but depending on all results mid-week, they may rest starters and put all effort into winning the Europa League final next Wednesday to get UCL.
Newcastle v Tottenham - See Sunderland/Norwich above. If they drop points, Newcastle has EVERYTHING to play for. Spurs have locked up top 3, need a point to all but ensure they finish top 2, and above the Scum.
Chelsea v Leicester - means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Appropriate that the current title holders host the soon to be title holders to end the season.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Arsenal v Villa - Arsenal guaranteed top 3, playing for a chance to finish top 2 and finishing above their NL rival. Spurs has to lose for that to happen. Goal diff favors Spurs +13.
Mathematically we are not there yet. 1 point guarantees 3rd (unless ManU can win twice and make up a 13 GD). However if we lose, we can be passed by both ManU and ManCity.

However, if cannot get at least a point of Aston Villa, who have nothing to play for, and are not very good, then we don't deserve anything.

Hopefully Sunderland drop points tomorrow and Newcastle have it all to play for against Spurs. :D To be able to celebrate St. Totteringham's Day would ameliorate this season, a little. :(

Reaction Score
What happened on and off the field with Man U and West Ham today? West Ham's manager is going to have egg on his face by stating that he doubted any of this happened and that it was a Man U ploy to delay the game.

WATCH: Manchester United's bus attacked

On the pitch, Man U's can score a lot; but, their defense continues to let other teams score more.

West Ham beat Manchester United in thrilling finish at Upton Park

Outside of the EPL, in a battle for second place (and a Champions League slot), Lyon drilled Monaco 6 to 1. Fantastique.

Lyon target return to days of winning Ligue 1 after beating Monaco to second

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sunderland beating Everton like they stole something. Up 3-0 in the 70th minute, and it is not even that close. Should probably 5 or 6 nil. A win guarantees Sunderland stay up and Norwich, Newcastle, and Villa are relegated.
Hopefully now Spurs can manage to eke out a point Sunday @ a demoralized/demotivated Newcastle.
Norwich handling Watford 4-2, but means nothing if Sunderland hold on.
Chelsea up 1-0 @ Liverpool 2nd half.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sunderland beating Everton like they stole something. Up 3-0 in the 70th minute, and it is not even that close. Should probably 5 or 6 nil. A win guarantees Sunderland stay up and Norwich, Newcastle, and Villa are relegated.
Hopefully now Spurs can manage to eke out a point Sunday @ a demoralized/demotivated Newcastle.
Norwich handling Watford 4-2, but means nothing if Sunderland hold on.
Chelsea up 1-0 @ Liverpool 2nd half.
Bummer, I wanted more excitement on the final day. :(

Reaction Score
Bummer, I wanted more excitement on the final day. :(
Ditto. I was half hoping all three teams had everything to play for to avoid relegation.

Now, there are really only 2 big games for Sunday. Both Manchester teams in their battle for 4th place. City with a 2 point lead (and insurmountable goal diff) over United. City is @ Swansea, United hosting Bournemouth.

Southampton (v Palace) and West Ham (@Stoke) are still battling for those final 1 or 2 (depending on FA Cup final result) Europa League spots. Liverpool (@WBA) is also in the hunt for Europa, but I am guessing they will be resting players and putting all their eggs in the Europa finals basket next Wednesday v Sevilla. Otherwise, not much fuel in the remaining matches.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm sure they can't keep him but... Leko makes West Brom a different team. It's a shame Berahino is a tool.

Reaction Score
Pathetic finish to a very good season for Spurs. They flat out quit once 1st place was out of reach.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Happy St. Totteringham's Day. (Sometimes it comes late, but it always comes.)

forever_in_our_shadow_by_lagvilava-d4zyaxg.png

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Are people still saying the best team didn't win?

One more club game for me, Liverpool-Sevilla. Can't watch it live, have to hope my media silence holds until I get home.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Is Crying Jordan a meme in the UK too? At this point... f%$k it go ahead put Crying Jordan on Pocchetino.

Reaction Score
Are people still saying the best team didn't win?
Nope. People are scratching their heads over how on earth the did it though. LC was the most consistently sound and solid team over 38 games. Really impressive.

Now, who is putting $20 on Sunderland to win the Prem in 2016/17 ? You have to wonder how much o fan impact LC winning will have on the bookmakers ever coming out with 5000 : 1 odds again.

Reaction Score
Happy St. Totteringham's Day. (Sometimes it comes late, but it always comes.)
It sure as hell does. Really frustrating finish. If you told me before the season Spurs would finish top 4 and qualified for UCL , I'd have signed up for it in a heartbeat. Now, after seeing how they finished the final month and the points they dropped when having a lead at one point, it feels like finishing third was a failure. Crazy game this soccer.

In other news.... now Bournemouth palyers will need to postpone their summer holiday plans a few days to play a meaningless final on Tuesday in Manchester... that one could get ugly. Their players who are not playing for country this summer are already on the beech in their minds

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It sure as hell does. Really frustrating finish. If you told me before the season Spurs would finish top 4 and qualified for UCL , I'd have signed up for it in a heartbeat. Now, after seeing how they finished the final month and the points they dropped when having a lead at one point, it feels like finishing third was a failure. Crazy game this soccer.
We feel your pain. Finishing 2nd is the best we've finished in many years, and most of us consider this season an abject failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom