EPL update | Page 3 | The Boneyard

EPL update

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Palace reminds me of what Wigan did a few years back. Won the FA Cup but got relegated. It's a possibility the same happens to them. I think Newcastle might save themselves with the hiring of Benitez. That might be just enough to get them clear. Winning today vs Sunderland is a must win game for them. Villa is almost a lock for relegation and then it'll come down to Sunderland, Norwich, Newcastle and possibly Palace.

I think Swansea needs at least another win or a few draws and they'll be set. Their last 4 is brutal but they still have a game against Stoke, CP, and Newcastle. Those three games need to create some kind of points.

Reaction Score
Here's the battle for bottom 3, and what they have left (I included Swansea for our Swans fans, but believe they are very safe after earning three points Saturday).

Swansea 36 pts, 7 games remaining @ Stoke, Chelsea, @Newcastle, @ Leicester, Liverpool, @ West Ham, City
Crystal Palace 33 pts, 8 games remaining @ West Ham, Norwich, @Arsenal, @ Man U, Watford, @ Newcastle, Stoke, @ Southampton
Norwich City 28 pts, 7 games remaining v Newcastle, @Palace, Sunderland, @Arsenal, Man U, Watford, @Everton
Sunderland 26 pts, 8 games remaining v WBA, Leicester, @ Norwich, Arsenal, @ Stoke, Chelsea, Everton, @ Watford
Newcastle 25 pts, 8 remaining games @Norwich, @ Southampton, Swansea, City, @Liverpool, Palace, @ Villa, Tottenham
Aston Villa 16 pts, 7 remaining games v Chelsea, Bournemouth, @United, Southampton, @Watofrd, Newcastle, @Arsenal

Villa is done, Sunderland is most likely finishing 19th, then it is a crap shoot between Newcastle, Norwich, and Palace for 18th.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I'd agree that Swansea is safe but I just don't like their ending to their season. If they were to somehow crap the bed against the likes of Newcastle or Stoke, they're looking at 5 games against the top teams in the league. I'm lumping Chelsea in here because even though they're down, they're still Chelsea. Being 10 points clear of the drop zone helps me feel a little better but getting a win over Newcastle would make me feel better.

As for the bottom three, my bets are on Villa (duh), Sunderland, and Newcastle. I'm thinking it'll be tight between Newcastle and CP though. Norwich would be a pick here but they have games against 3 of the 4 relegation teams. The only one they don't have is Villa. So they have the best chance to save themselves.

Going to be exciting race at the top and at the bottom. I must admit, I kind of miss the past two seasons where at this point of the year we weren't playing for anything but pride. Would rather be in that spot instead of this crap!

Reaction Score
Miazga with the start for Chelsea against the lesser midlands club.

Reaction Score
Miazga with the start for Chelsea against the lesser midlands club.

How did he do? I see the Villains continued to be focused on playing in the Championship League next year and lost 4 to 0. not good for Guzan, though it looks like his defense was more interested in collecting Cards (6 total) than playing defense.

PS - Just looked at the Championship table. Was hoping that Reading would have a better season while Burnley and Middlesborough looking to get back to the Premiership. What happened to Fulham as they are fighting not get get regulated out of the Championship.

Reaction Score
How did he do? I see the Villains continued to be focused on playing in the Championship League next year and lost 4 to 0. not good for Guzan, though it looks like his defense was more interested in collecting Cards (6 total) than playing defense.

PS - Just looked at the Championship table. Was hoping that Reading would have a better season while Burnley and Middlesborough looking to get back to the Premiership. What happened to Fulham as they are fighting not get get regulated out of the Championship.

A solid outing. Apparently it was take your kid to work day for the Chelsea lineup and Villa still lost.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Thank god QPR is not in the running to return. I'm sick of them bouncing back and forth.

Reaction Score
Leicester City (69 points) beat Southampton to go 7 points clear with only 6 games left. Though they do have two teams fighting for European league berths in West Ham and Man U plus Sunderland, which is playing to avoid regulation, to deal with plus Chelsea, Everton, and Swansea, I don't think anyone can catch them at this point.

I also think that why there is a chance they may switch places, 2nd Place (Tottenham, 62 points) and 3rd place (Arsenal 58 points) are mostly set, too, baring any unforeseen collapse.

Thus, the fight is really for slots #4 though #6 and the Champions and Europa slots that they represent with 7 points separating 5 teams - Man City (54), Man U (53), West Ham (51), Southampton (47), Stoke (47). Liverpool (45) and Chelsea (44) just don't seem to have the the ability to make-up 10 points with 6 games left at this time.

At the other end, Aston Villa (16) has wrapped-up its objective to move to the Championship League next year. Good job! Is that a record for fewest points in a season? The other two regulation slots will be contest between three teams - Newcastle (25), Sutherland (27), and Norwich (31). I think Crystal Palace (34) and Swansea (37) are safe.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Yeah I think Swansea secured their place by pulling a draw out of no where against Stoke.

I'm thinking relegation will be Villa, Sunderland, and Newcastle

Reaction Score
Relegation battle..... now that Villa have secured their relegation position, there are 3 teams in question for the final 2 spots...
Norwich - 31 points, 5 games remaining: Sunderland, @ Arsenal, United, Watford, @ Everton
Sunderland - 27 points, 6 games remaining: @Norwich, Arsenal, @ Stoke, Chelsea, Everton, @ Watford
Newcastle - 25 points, 6 games remaining: Swansea, City, @ Liverpool, Palace, @ Villa, and Spurs

Norwich v Sunderland next Saturday is HUGE! Canaries win, they are pretty much a lock to be safe.

Reaction Score
Top 4 battle.... barring a major meltdown, Leicester will win the league. They don't have an easy match the rest of the way, but they have been a model of consistency. Spurs still battling to ensure top 3/4, but I am feeling better about things after Sunday (Tottenham does have a tendency of breaking their fans hearts tho, so I am not counting the CL eggs until they are hatched...nothing would surprise me... winning the league, or finishing 5th). They do have a massive advantage on goal differential, so would finish above Arsenal if they wind up even on points

Leicester - 72 points, 5 remaining: West Ham, Swansea, @ United, Everton, @ Chelsea - probably finish with 79 points
Tottenham - 65 points, 5 remaining: @Stoke, WBA, @ Chelsea, Southampton, @ Newcastle - probably finish with 77 points
Arsenal - 59 points, 6 remaining: Palace, WBA, @ Sunderland, Norwich, @ City, Villa - only place they could drop points is @ City - probably finish with 74 points
City - 57 points, 6 remaining: @ Chelsea, @ Newcastle, Stoke, @ Southampton, Arsenal, @ Swansea (still in UCL, host PSG this week) - probably finish with 73 points,
United - 53 points, 6 remaining: Villa, Palace, Leicester, @ Norwich, @ West Ham, Bournemouth (still in FA Cup, at West Ham this week) - probably finish with 66 points - come down to GD v. West Ham for 5th place
West Ham - 52 points, 6 remaining: @ Leicester, Watford, @ WBA, Swansea, United, @ Stoke (still in FA Cup, host United this week) - probably finish with 66 points - come down to GD v. United for 5th place

Reaction Score
Thanks for the review.

On the regulation side of things, Norwich is lucky to be head right now as they appear to have the hardest slate left facing 3 teams with something to play for in Sunderland, Arsenal, and Man U whereas Sunderland has 2 (Norwich and Arsenal) and Newcastle has 1 in Tottenham. My gut, Newcastle and Norwich are sent down and Sunderland escapes yet again.

On the opposite side of the table, I can't see Leicester losing it at this point, especially as only 2 of their remaining 5 opponents are fighting for something in West Ham and Man U. Tottenham stays in 2nd. As for my Gunners, do not underestimate their love for 4th place, which is sadly where I think they will end-up, again. I think they will draw at Man City and also draw or even lose on the road to Sunderland just because that is what Arsenal does and as Sunderland needs the win more with their EPL lives on the line. That would put them just behind Man City. I also think that West Ham will slip by Man U for 4th on points or on GD.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I will be very interested to see how Leicester does next year in the CL. This run was magical this year but I can't imagine they'll have the depth needed to compete on both levels (regular season and CL matches) This is only their second season in the Prem so money was not gushing for them for awhile to stockpile talent. I hope they do well but I have my doubts when teams like Chelsea and Arsenal continually crash out.

Reaction Score
I love the element of 'relegation' in European football. This Norwich-Sunderland game has been entertaining as hell, and the only reason I'm watching the 3rd and 4th worst teams in EPL this season is because of the relegation factor (and to see Yedlin and DeFoe - Yedlin due to being a yank, DeFoe being a former Spur and one of the classier players in the game... an easy guy to root for).

2-0 Sunderland late.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I love the element of 'relegation' in European football. This Norwich-Sunderland game has been entertaining as hell, and the only reason I'm watching the 3rd and 4th worst teams in EPL this season is because of the relegation factor (and to see Yedlin and DeFoe - Yedlin due to being a yank, DeFoe being a former Spur and one of the classier players in the game... an easy guy to root for).

2-0 Sunderland late.

Two weeks in a row rooting for Sunderland for this Sours fan; glad to see them play well today and for defoe to get on the board (while wearing my old defoe jersey).

Reaction Score
With Spurs winninge 4-0 v Stoke at the Britannia the updated top and bottom of the table looks like:

Leicester - 73 points, 4 remaining: Swansea, @United, Everton, @Chelsea - will probably end up with 79 points
Tottenham - 68 points, 4 remaining: WBA, @Chelsea, Southampton, @Newcastle - will probably end up with 78 points
City - 60 points, 5 remaining: @Newcastle, Stoke, @Southampton, Arsenal, @Swansea (still in UCL semi's, 2 more matches v Real) - will probably end up with 73 points
Arsenal - 60 points, 5 remaining: WBA, @Sunderland, Norwich, @City, Villa - will probably end up with 72 points
United - 56 points, 5 remaining: Palace, Leicester, @Norwich, @West Ham, Bournemouth (still in FA Cup v Everton Saturday, April 23rd) - will probably end up with 68 points
West Ham - 53 points, 5 remaining: Watford, @WBA, Swansea, United, @Stoke - will probably end up with 68 points
long shot, but... Liverpool - 51 points, 6 remaining: Everton, Newcastle, @Swansea, Watford, Chelsea, @WBA (still in Europa semi's 2 matches v Villareal). Liverpool is interesting. They have 6 matches left, and they really should claim 18 points from them, but they will be playing 2 matches per week the rest of the season (and have been the last 2 weeks). They need Arsenal or City to stumble down the stretch to have any shot at all, but it would be pretty remarkable if they win out.

Relegation battle
Norwich - 31 points, 4 remaining: @Arsenal, United, Watford, @Everton - will probably end up with 34 points (win v Watford)
Sunderland - 30 points, 5 remaining: Arsenal, @Stoke, Chelsea, Everton, @Watford - will probably end up with 34 points (win v Everton at home, draw @Watford)
Newcastle - 28 points, 5 remaining: City, @Liverpool, Palace, @Villa, and Spurs - will probably end up with 34 points (win v Palace and @Villa)
Villa - relegated

It is not out of the question that there ends up being a 3 way tie on points with Norwich, Sunderland, and Newcastle... that works out really well for Sunderland with the much better goal differential.

Reaction Score

2-0 Sunderland late.

I watched Mainz vs. Koln on Sunday night. Mainz is fight for top four, Koln is fighting to stay up. Koln comes back from a deficit and stuns Mainz. It was really super stuff. American sports doesn't have a dynamic like that.

My big takeaway is that I need to watch more Bundesliga.

Reaction Score
I watched Mainz vs. Koln on Sunday night. Mainz is fight for top four, Koln is fighting to stay up. Koln comes back from a deficit and stuns Mainz. It was really super stuff. American sports doesn't have a dynamic like that.

My big takeaway is that I need to watch more Bundesliga.
That match sucked... I was so pi$$ed on the drive home.

Reaction Score
Finally saw the Vardy dive. Absolutely a dive. Didn't think his reaction to the red warrants any additional suspension tho. Will be effed up if he misses more than the Swansea game. Both penalty kick calls were suspect, IMO. The foul on Leicester was definitely a foul, but that happens on every single corner kick/set piece in that area. Every single time there is grabbing, pushing, etc... The call on Andy Carroll was even worse tho. Absolutely not a foul, and a complete make up call. But Carroll, what the hell are you thinking making any contact at that point? The guy was moving away from the goal, no threat what so ever to put anything on or in front of the net. Bad call, but bad decision making by AC.

Reaction Score
I was thinking you might have been there. That place is wild.
Yeah, I have season tickets. It is a great time; for sure a lot more fun than dealing with the drunken Ultras in Frankfurt.

Reaction Score
Huge draw for Newcastle v City today. Sphincters are tightening all around Norwich and down the street at Sunderland right about now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Y'know, if the EPL had playoffs like American sports I'm thinking Liverpool would be the second favorite to win the whole thing (behind Spurs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom