EPL starts today. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

EPL starts today.

Reaction Score
Every freaking year, no matter the tournament, Arsenal drops a game and points against a lower quality team from Eastern Europe, argh!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47203237

Maybe one year, someone in Arsenal leadership will sign a few defensive players.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Every freaking year, no many the tournament, Arsenal drops a game and points against a lower quality team from Eastern Europe, argh
I agree, there is no good reason Arsenal didn't master BATE.

Reaction Score
I went with the free 7 day trial of ESPN+ so that my son could watch Man U v. Chelsea yesterday. He's in a much better mood of later than prior to the Mourinho sacking. Quality was strong for 99% of the game through my fire tv. It's annoying how much I pay for fios, but I guess $4.99 per month isn't bad to pay when we need access. I assume we'll be cord cutters eventually. I like the ability to turn on/off subscriptions, but I can see it being hard to keep up with all of the subscriptions.

Reaction Score
Something like 9 games left and Arsenal is in 5th place. While Aubameyang is clearly at fault for a very weak PK, if the Premiership had VAR, Arsenal likely wins 1-0 as Kane and several other guys in white shirts were offside on the play that lead to Kane's PK. If they had won, Arsenal would be in 4th, just 1 point behind Tottenham. Ah, soccer. Oh, have I mentioned how much I am going to miss Ramsey...

Tottenham Hotspur vs. Arsenal - Football Match Report - March 2, 2019 - ESPN

Reaction Score
So Spurs' current collapse, as painful as it is to watch, is a great example of why sports are great. You manage 12 from 4 and a dominant win against Dortmund without your best player and leading scorer, and then he comes back, everyone lets down and you can't beat anyone. Something that happens in sports but is never predicted.

Spurs is in big trouble for nailing a top 4 slot down, because while we lead the three chasing us we still play at Liverpool and at Man City. A lot of agita at the moment.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Something like 9 games left and Arsenal is in 5th place. While Aubameyang is clearly at fault for a very weak PK, if the Premiership had VAR, Arsenal likely wins 1-0 as Kane and several other guys in white shirts were offside on the play that lead to Kane's PK. If they had won, Arsenal would be in 4th, just 1 point behind Tottenham. Ah, soccer. Oh, have I mentioned how much I am going to miss Ramsey...

Tottenham Hotspur vs. Arsenal - Football Match Report - March 2, 2019 - ESPN

Don't forget Rose's studs to the chest on Leno - YC?

Reaction Score
Don't forget Rose's studs to the chest on Leno - YC?

True, especially after the verbal gymnastics the announcers went through to explain why Torreira deserved a straight red as the opposing player ran through his legs. If its 'player safety' for having one cleats' up in any instance, then the shot to Leno should have also been a Red.

That said, I do agree that Mustafi time in North London has come to a close.

Oh, and Kane was FREAKING offsides.

Reaction Score
Its down to the last few weeks in the Premiership. There's basically 3 races going on with Liverpool and Man City fighting for the league title, Arsenal, Man U, Tottenham, and Chelsea fighting for a spot in next season's Champions League, and a pile of teams trying to avoid the last regulation slot (Huddersfield and Fulham have already been relegated.

Since I am an Arsenal fan, the first and third race are of passing interest. The interest is in the Champions League with 3 slots (2 automatic and 1 play-in) up for grabs between 4 teams - Arsenal, Tottenham, Man U and Chelsea.

Remaining fixtures:
  • Arsenal - 3rd Place with 63 points, 7 games remaining: 1) @ Everton, 2) @ Watford, 3) v. Crystal Palace, 4) @ Wolverhampton, 5) @ Leicester, 6) v. Brighton, 7) @ Burnley...plus Europa play (Napoli)
  • Tottenham - 4th place with 61 points, 7 games remaining: 1) v Crystal Palace, 2) v. Huddersfield, 3) @ Man City, 4) v Brighton, 5) v West Ham, 6) @ Bournemouth, 7) v. Everton...plus Champions league play (Man City)
  • Man U - 5th Place with 61 points, 6 games remaining: 1) v West Ham, 2) @ Everton, 3) v. Man City, 4) v. Chelsea, 5) @ Huddersfield, and 6) v. Cardiff...plus Champions league play (Barcelona)
  • Chelsea - 6th Place with 60 points, 7 games remaining: 1) v. Brighton, 2) v. West Ham, 3) @ Liverpool, 4) v. Burnley, 5) @ Man U, 6) v. Watford, 7) @ Leicester...plus Europa play (Prague)
Thoughts...
  • Arsenal has the 'easiest' Premiership fixtures left on paper though they will need to take points on the road with 5 of their last 7 away and both Brighton (home) and Burnley (away) will be fighting relegation. They do have a tough Europa home & away with Napoli; but, its easier than the Champions league play that two of this group have to play. Oh, I am really going to miss Ramsey.
  • Tottenham has to deal with Man City 3 times over the last month between Premiership and Champions League, which is going to be brutal. Brighton (home) and Bournemouth (away) may also be fighting to avoid relegation.
  • Man U benefited from a month of freedom after Mourinho got ejected; but, have come to down to earth lately as its clear their team needs a roster overhaul. Is Solskjaer up for the job? They get both Man City and Chelsea at home plus relegation threatened Cardiff to go along with a home & away in Champions league play against Barcelona. No easy task, especially as their 3 rivals all have an extra game remaining.
  • Chelsea has the easiest playoff match-up in Prague of the 4 teams here; but, they are 3 points out of 3rd place and do have to contend with away games at Man City and Liverpool and home matches with relegation threatened Brighton and Burnley.
So, Arsenal will do just enough on the road while Tottenham's 3 Man City matches will take just enough out of them for Arsenal to hold onto third while the one less game and games versus Man City and Chelsea will send Man U to Europa

3rd (Champions): Arsenal, 77 points​
4th (Champions): Tottenham, 76 points​
5th (Champions play-in): Chelsea, 72 points​
6th (Europa): Man U, 70 points​

Of course, if I do as well with this as I did with my NCAA bracket, none of this will be right...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Its down to the last few weeks in the Premiership. There's basically 3 races going on with Liverpool and Man City fighting for the league title, Arsenal, Man U, Tottenham, and Chelsea fighting for a spot in next season's Champions League, and a pile of teams trying to avoid the last regulation slot (Huddersfield and Fulham have already been relegated.

Since I am an Arsenal fan, the first and third race are of passing interest. The interest is in the Champions League with 3 slots (2 automatic and 1 play-in) up for grabs between 4 teams - Arsenal, Tottenham, Man U and Chelsea.

Remaining fixtures:
  • Arsenal - 3rd Place with 63 points, 7 games remaining: 1) @ Everton, 2) @ Watford, 3) v. Crystal Palace, 4) @ Wolverhampton, 5) @ Leicester, 6) v. Brighton, 7) @ Burnley...plus Europa play (Napoli)
  • Tottenham - 4th place with 61 points, 7 games remaining: 1) v Crystal Palace, 2) v. Huddersfield, 3) @ Man City, 4) v Brighton, 5) v West Ham, 6) @ Bournemouth, 7) v. Everton...plus Champions league play (Man City)
  • Man U - 5th Place with 61 points, 6 games remaining: 1) v West Ham, 2) @ Everton, 3) v. Man City, 4) v. Chelsea, 5) @ Huddersfield, and 6) v. Cardiff...plus Champions league play (Barcelona)
  • Chelsea - 6th Place with 60 points, 7 games remaining: 1) v. Brighton, 2) v. West Ham, 3) @ Liverpool, 4) v. Burnley, 5) @ Man U, 6) v. Watford, 7) @ Leicester...plus Europa play (Prague)
Thoughts...
  • Arsenal has the 'easiest' Premiership fixtures left on paper though they will need to take points on the road with 5 of their last 7 away and both Brighton (home) and Burnley (away) will be fighting relegation. They do have a tough Europa home & away with Napoli; but, its easier than the Champions league play that two of this group have to play. Oh, I am really going to miss Ramsey.
  • Tottenham has to deal with Man City 3 times over the last month between Premiership and Champions League, which is going to be brutal. Brighton (home) and Bournemouth (away) may also be fighting to avoid relegation.
  • Man U benefited from a month of freedom after Mourinho got ejected; but, have come to down to earth lately as its clear their team needs a roster overhaul. Is Solskjaer up for the job? They get both Man City and Chelsea at home plus relegation threatened Cardiff to go along with a home & away in Champions league play against Barcelona. No easy task, especially as their 3 rivals all have an extra game remaining.
  • Chelsea has the easiest playoff match-up in Prague of the 4 teams here; but, they are 3 points out of 3rd place and do have to contend with away games at Man City and Liverpool and home matches with relegation threatened Brighton and Burnley.
So, Arsenal will do just enough on the road while Tottenham's 3 Man City matches will take just enough out of them for Arsenal to hold onto third while the one less game and games versus Man City and Chelsea will send Man U to Europa

3rd (Champions): Arsenal, 77 points​
4th (Champions): Tottenham, 76 points​
5th (Champions play-in): Chelsea, 72 points​
6th (Europa): Man U, 70 points​

Of course, if I do as well with this as I did with my NCAA bracket, none of this will be right...
Nice overview.

Ramsey is probably my favorite player at Arsenal right now....so of course he's leaving. :(:mad:

Reaction Score
Spurs new park is SWEEEET

For GBP 850 Million it better be. I am waiting to see how the stadium's retractable grass field is going to hold-up (the Turf field underneath will be used for US Football games and other events).

Reaction Score
For GBP 850 Million it better be. I am waiting to see how the stadium's retractable grass field is going to hold-up (the Turf field underneath will be used for US Football games and other events).
That’s over $300mm less than Met Life Stadium and that place sucks!

Reaction Score
How is the 5th place team in the champions league next year? (unless spurs or united win it this year?)

Reaction Score
How is the 5th place team in the champions league next year? (unless spurs or united win it this year?)

I beleive 5th Place in EPL gets a 'play-in' for the Champions league. Not sure what the rules are should an English club get an automatic bid should they win the Champions or Europa Leauge titles.

Reaction Score
I beleive 5th Place in EPL gets a 'play-in' for the Champions league. Not sure what the rules are should an English club get an automatic bid should they win the Champions or Europa Leauge titles.

the 4th place team used to have the play in game, but now i believe they are straight in the group stage. There is only a 5th team if that team wins the previous years Europa or Champions league. 5th place in the the Europa league.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There is only a 5th team if that team wins the previous years Europa or Champions league.

And that team doesn't finish in the EPL Top 4. I think

Reaction Score
You can’t make this stuff up. Spurs are getting extra Spursy. Like to a whole new level. Son out for Everton...where is(are) the goal(s) coming from next Sunday? Looking like Thursday’s and Sunday’s next season.

Reaction Score
You can’t make this stuff up. Spurs are getting extra Spursy. Like to a whole new level. Son out for Everton...where is(are) the goal(s) coming from next Sunday? Looking like Thursday’s and Sunday’s next season.

Liverpool may have lost Salah, too, while Arsenal has confirmed that Ramsey is done for the season, which means his career at Emirates is also over :(. The team that wins the Premiership this season along with the other 3 who finish in the Top 4 for a Champions slot will surve it this season, not win it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The team that wins the Premiership this season along with the other 3 who finish in the Top 4 for a Champions slot will surve it this season, not win it.
That makes no sense, the top 2 have had all-time great seasons. Liverpool is going to come in second after only losing 1 of 38 games. That's not survival that's bad breaks.

Reaction Score
Huddersfield did their part, so now it’s 3 teams vying for the last 2 CL spots (foregone conclusion Arsenal gets 3 points at home v Brighton today).

3- Chelsea 71 points +24 GD, next week @ Leicester (LC 51 points)

4- Spurs 70 points +28 GD, next week v Everton (EV 53 points)

5-Arsenal 69 points +21GD (GD should change as they’re still playing, I’ve already given them three points win for today), next week @ Burnley (BR 40 points).

Spurs and Chelsea have the tougher opponents but at least Spurs are home. With Kane and Son not playing, it will be a tall order to get 3 points tho.
Leicester has been playing well lately, but Chelsea just needs a draw... not sure they get it.
Arsenal is an enigma. They Should handle Burnley, but they are a different side away from home, and they will be playing with very tight sphincters... anything can happen.

All 3 play mid-week matches, so it is a level playing field come Sunday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom