EPL back tomorrow! 6/17 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

EPL back tomorrow! 6/17

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Fascinating was Brentwood's choke job. Or was it props to Barnsley for fighting to the end to avoid the drop?

Reaction Score
Sunday will be fascinating

As a Gunners fan, next Saturday, August 1st will be fascinating with Arsenal and Chelulisic going for the FA Cup final. A win means European soccer next season in Europa and a chance to keep Aubameyang and hopefully some physical defenders. A loss should mean a complete tear down. As for the game itself, I think which team makes the fewest mistakes on defense will win as both teams can score.

Reaction Score
Pulisic looking like the best player on the field in the FA Cup final.
One could easily argue Chelsea recouped his entire transfer fee plus some since the restart.

His first touch was a thing of beauty.

Reaction Score
One could easily argue Chelsea recouped his entire transfer fee plus some since the restart.

His first touch was a thing of beauty.

It still pisses me off that Lampard doesn’t give him the benefit of the doubt like he does with lesser players.

Reaction Score
Didn't watch the game as I was driving up to the lake. Glad Arsenal won and get teh opportunity and money to play in Europa. Not happy that Pulisic hurt his hammy again as that's what 3 or 4 times now. Needs to see a professional and hopefullt get it sorted out in the summer.

Reaction Score
What do folks think about this? I get that the lower-level clubs are in financial peril due to Covif-19; but, this will allow the power clubs to control everything. Part of the joy (and challenge) of the EPL is the relegation and promotion battles every year. No surprise that its' being led by two American owned clubs - Liverpool and Man U. Looks like they want to make sure that regulation never comes to MLS by destroying it in England first.

PS - There is talk that Mr. Moneyball himself, Billy Beane, is going to step away from the Oakland A's and join the Fenway Group (Red Sox and Liverpool owner), which is then going to go public and expand its European soccer portfolio. Oh, boy.

Reaction Score
I saw the pull away group. Seems like a break what is not broken to me. Why would I play in a league and have no voting say. You mean to tell me if I am say Albion, City and United will vote for my interests? How crooked a setup is this?

Reaction Score
I saw the pull away group. Seems like a break what is not broken to me. Why would I play in a league and have no voting say. You mean to tell me if I am say Albion, City and United will vote for my interests? How crooked a setup is this?

...Sounds like the NCAA Football to me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm happy for what FSG did in bringing back Liverpool. Less happy with their attempt to ruin English Football. They are also pushing a salary cap.

Reaction Score
...Sounds like the NCAA Football to me.
Ayup. More of the same. But, with football, the NCAA deserves it where EPL is not necessarily at fault. I did see that there is a faction of P5 that wants to pull away from NCAA in everything but basetball. Hmmm. Want to run away from the NCAA but still rake in coin from March Madness? Yeah, right...

Reaction Score
Caught the Arsenal at Man City game. The Gunners looked a lot better than the last few seasons. A lot more structure and disciple, even if I am not a fan of passing it around and out of one's own end. The biggest difference I saw was in age and size. Man City more often than not pushed the young, lighter Gunner kids right off the ball.

PS - I thought actively toughing a ref was an automatic free pass to the shower, even in the EPL. Aguero for Man City was not happy with a throw-in call and garbed the lineswoman's shoulder and neck, which she then pushed his hand away. If I was the ref on the field in a HS match (yes, a lot different than EPL, though the rules are mostly the same) and saw a player grab a linesman like that, he/she is done for the day. Period.

Also, caught the highlights of Liverpool versus Everton. Everton is a good team this season and while I am no Liverpool Red Sox fan, but Liverpool should have won. Henderson's goal should have counted because if VAR is down to determining if a single thread of a player's uniform is offside, then VAR is doomed.

liverpool.jpg

Speaking of VAR, EPL officials are doing a dance trying to explain how earth Pickford did not get a straight red for his knee-high, late, flying tackle on van Dijk. Even if van Dijk as offside, it was very close, the rest of the play simply can't be forgotten, which seems to be the EPL Official's reasoning. A tackle like that completely puts a player's safety at risk and, unfortunately, it was later confirmed that van Dijk has an ACL tear will will miss 8+ months. The EPL needs to step-in and review and hit Pickford for a multi-game suspension.

Reaction Score
Caught the Arsenal at Man City game. The Gunners looked a lot better than the last few seasons. A lot more structure and disciple, even if I am not a fan of passing it around and out of one's own end. The biggest difference I saw was in age and size. Man City more often than not pushed the young, lighter Gunner kids right off the ball.

PS - I thought actively toughing a ref was an automatic free pass to the shower, even in the EPL. Aguero for Man City was not happy with a throw-in call and garbed the lineswoman's shoulder and neck, which she then pushed his hand away. If I was the ref on the field in a HS match (yes, a lot different than EPL, though the rules are mostly the same) and saw a player grab a linesman like that, he/she is done for the day. Period.

Also, caught the highlights of Liverpool versus Everton. Everton is a good team this season and while I am no Liverpool Red Sox fan, but Liverpool should have won. Henderson's goal should have counted because if VAR is down to determining if a single thread of a player's uniform is offside, then VAR is doomed.

View attachment 59994

Speaking of VAR, EPL officials are doing a dance trying to explain how earth Pickford did not get a straight red for his knee-high, late, flying tackle on van Dijk. Even if van Dijk as offside, it was very close, the rest of the play simply can't be forgotten, which seems to be the EPL Official's reasoning. A tackle like that completely puts a player's safety at risk and, unfortunately, it was later confirmed that van Dijk has an ACL tear will will miss 8+ months. The EPL needs to step-in and review and hit Pickford for a multi-game suspension.

Agreed on all counts. VAR and the interpretation of "offside" has gotten ridiculous, and VAR's take on handballs has been even more maddening. Flip-flops with the weather.

Reaction Score

View attachment 59994

Re Aguero: I thought his touching was creepy more than violent. I don't think he touches a male linesman like that. Good for the lineswoman for pushing his hand off.

Re VAR: I guess it's a slippery slope. One of the problems with not overturning goals for miniscule offsides is that the linesmen are told to keep the flag down if there is a doubt so that the play can continue and be reviewed if necessary. If that's the case, then you need to assume that they are looking at the call without a benefit of the doubt going to a no-call.

Re EPL: It's obviously early, and I've only watched a few games, but it looks like there can be some competition this year. It appears that some of the middle teams have gotten stronger and the top teams have taken a step back. I like watching Leeds.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

View attachment 59994

Well if it was Offside, then there was no foul, play is dead. So there can't be a Serious Foul Play red card given.

Reaction Score
Well if it was Offside, then there was no foul, play is dead. So there can't be a Serious Foul Play red card given.

Violent Conduct, which is Red Card offense, can be issued for basically anything on or even near the pitch. That is what what is usually called on players when a scuffle takes place after the whistle has blown or even after the game ends. If the Referee and Video Replay Official felt that the action occurred after the play, because the Offsides call resulted in a stoppage of play, the call should have been for Violent Conduct (Red) and an indirect free kick given to Liverpool as it was after the play.

PS - One of the newest Send-off Offenses under Law 12 is for 'entering the video operating room (VOR).' I would love to know what the VAR call was and the fool who lost his head and when charging into the VOR room from the pitch caused the need for that rule to be created.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Violent Conduct, which is Red Card offense, can be issued for basically anything on or even near the pitch. That is what what is usually called on players when a scuffle takes place after the whistle has blown or even after the game ends. If the Referee and Video Replay Official felt that the action occurred after the play, because the Offsides call resulted in a stoppage of play, the call should have been for Violent Conduct (Red) and an indirect free kick given to Liverpool as it was after the play.

PS - One of the newest Send-off Offenses under Law 12 is for 'entering the video operating room (VOR).' I would love to know what the VAR call was and the fool who lost his head and when charging into the VOR room from the pitch caused the need for that rule to be created.
Thought about that for a second, but while true, that's not the intent of a VC.

Reaction Score
Thought about that for a second, but while true, that's not the intent of a VC.

When referring teenage boys, Red Card for after-the-whistle scrums is at last a monthly occurrence from a player kicking out at a player or pushing a player down after a meeting of the minds to an all-out brawl. They're all written down as Violent Conduct.

With Picford, if the if the play was ongoing, i.e. the offsides was not called, it absolutely qualifies as a Serious Foul Play

Serious Foul Play: A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play. Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

If in the judgement of the Referee and/or Linesman, the play had ended due to the offisides call and therefore Pickford was not challenging for the ball (talk about semantics in a split second), it still fist the bill as Violent Conduct, which in the spirit of the game is intended to protect players.

Violent Conduct: When a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
When referring teenage boys, Red Card for after-the-whistle scrums is at last a monthly occurrence from a player kicking out at a player or pushing a player down after a meeting of the minds to an all-out brawl. They're all written down as Violent Conduct.

With Picford, if the if the play was ongoing, i.e. the offsides was not called, it absolutely qualifies as a Serious Foul Play

Serious Foul Play: A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play. Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

If in the judgement of the Referee and/or Linesman, the play had ended due to the offisides call and therefore Pickford was not challenging for the ball (talk about semantics in a split second), it still fist the bill as Violent Conduct, which in the spirit of the game is intended to protect players.

Violent Conduct: When a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.
Except he was challenging for the ball. Even if the play was dead. Like I said, that's not how VC works. As the PGMOL explained. Well I'll say how it normally works. I don't think anyone would have objected to a RC, no matter how technically they got there.

Yea, it's a hole in the Laws, maybe they'll fix it eventually.

Reaction Score
Pulisic with another apparent hamstring injury. This is becoming a problem for him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Has parity come to the EPL? Hartford Athletic partner Southampton is up to 3rd in the table! They were in the drop zone when they made the agreement last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom