EPL back tomorrow! 6/17 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

EPL back tomorrow! 6/17

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That was a nice goal Pulisic had today.
I read your post before I caught the replay, I think nice is an understatement. Again he busted the defender one-on-one and nailed a precision strike, with his off foot! I starting to think he might be underrated.

Reaction Score
Now Lampard is saying that if other players want to see the field then they have to perform like Pulisic.

That's really something.

At this point Pulisic needs to be a winger for the USMNT.

The whole team needs to be built around him. The players that make him better are the ones that need to be around him and playing.

Whatever system Berhalter cooked up isn't about Pulisic. We have one of the best attackers in the EPL on our team and we need to leverage that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The whole team needs to be built around him. The players that make him better are the ones that need to be around him and playing.
I had that same thought last go round. And you know who I remember playing best with Pulisic? Sacha Kljestan! But Beerholders system requires his best players play out of position.

Reaction Score
I had that same thought last go round. And you know who I remember playing best with Pulisic? Sacha Kljestan! But Beerholders system requires his best players play out of position.

Well, Jay Berhalter and Cordeiro are gone. McBride is the GM of US Soccer. With Ernie Stewart over him. Amazing how much overhead we have and they can't even keep the other National Teams staffed with coached.

So hopefully Berhalter isn't as protected. But we basically have a 2002 World Cup team mafia running the program and he was on that team.

McBride was really pro Jurgen so there's that.

The best American manager is Jesse Marsch. He won the double Austria and he is shortlisted for some bigger jobs. I bet he ends up with a full Bundesliga gig soon. He will be out of reach for the national team for a while. But I would love to see him coach the team in 2026.

Reaction Score
I read your post before I caught the replay, I think nice is an understatement. Again he busted the defender one-on-one and nailed a precision strike, with his off foot! I starting to think he might be underrated.
He is playing so aggressively and with such confidence. He’s attacking, almost to a fault, but I assume he’s been given the green light. When he thinks he has a defender(s) back peddling he just attacks, even if someone else might be open. He’s getting some defenders to back off, also, which is allowing him to make some nice passes. Great to watch.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I mentioned that I'm rooting for the Hammers to stay up. Moreso than ever after I watched an incredible interview by Michail Antonio after they got jobbed against Newcastle. Today, Antonio gets four goals!

Reaction Score
The Gunner's backline handed the Spurs 3 points today, just sad.

The team is not going anywhere unless they fix their defense (outside of Martinez who has been fantastic). if they do not make any European tournament, which is almost certain with 3 matches left, and with finances the way they supposedly are, I say sell Aubameyang and Guendouzi, who are two players that they can get some serious coin for, and use that money to rebuild the defense. Depending on who they bring on will then determine who else can be shipped-off out of if Mustafli, Kolasinac, and Ruiz (why was he resigned?). The next season or two will be painful hovering in the middle of the table; but, as they canot buy their way out fo this mess, there is no other way.

Reaction Score
Man City won their appeal. Doesn't seem like there is much surprise. I know they (as well as others) play some games with the numbers, but I don't know enough about whether they were really guilty of the violations they were originally banned for. Soccer's history doesn't give you confidence in upholding rules though.

My son is a big Man U fan and I probably pull for them if only to keep him less grumpy. I really thought their only chance of Champions League was in the extra Man City fifth spot. Things have certainly changed, however, with Man U playing great, Chelsea tripping a bit, and Leicester nose diving.

My final two spot predictions:

Three: At this point I think Man U will take spot three, especially if they win today. They're playing great and I think the schedule sets up nicely for them.

Four: I'm going with Chelsea. They look inconsistent, especially on defense, but they are in decent form. They have a gimme against relegated Norwich, a monumental game against Liverpool (although maybe Liverpool is coasting a bit now) and a tough but winnable game against Wolves.

Leicester is floundering and still have a super hot Sheffield United, decent Spurs away, and then Man U. If they can go into the final game vs Man U (at home) within three points, that could be an epic game. Their goal differential vs Man U is close and they are in much better shape than Chelsea. But I wouldn't be surprised if Leicester loses their next two and Man U and Chelsea skip into spots three and four.

Reaction Score
Man City won their appeal. Doesn't seem like there is much surprise. I know they (as well as others) play some games with the numbers, but I don't know enough about whether they were really guilty of the violations they were originally banned for. Soccer's history doesn't give you confidence in upholding rules though.

I looked at the numbers as best as I could and basically concluded it could have gone either way. Man City's case though as less strong than the case against PSG, which UEFA basically conducted a cleats-up, from behind, slide-tackle in a DOGSO sitiation against their own fair-play rules. In other words, rules count until there is enough money involved.

Reaction Score
The City ruling officially kills FFP. If PSG and City can get away with spending roughly 1 billion on their squads without selling players then I don’t know what to tell you. We are not far off from a European Super League that will kill the sport. Same thing going on with NCAA. It’s over. Money won.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Good result for Leicester. MU loses 2-2.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The City ruling officially kills FFP. If PSG and City can get away with spending roughly 1 billion on their squads without selling players then I don’t know what to tell you. We are not far off from a European Super League that will kill the sport. Same thing going on with NCAA. It’s over. Money won.
It's not over, things change.

Reaction Score
It's not over, things change.
I wish I had your confidence in this. UEFA has about much clout as the NCAA now. I'm afraid the big clubs will just flout the rules and spend money on winning court cases because they can while the smaller clubs will continue to get kicked around and get crushed for the smallest violations... Kinda like UNC and Connecticut.

Reaction Score
I'm no expert, but keeping Pulisic out until the 58th minute down 4-1 against Liverpool was a bit odd. He's one of, if not their best player, then comes in a sets up a nasty goal within two minutes.

A top 4 spot is on the line.

Reaction Score
From my prior post: "Three: At this point I think Man U will take spot three, especially if they win today. They're playing great and I think the schedule sets up nicely for them."

That may happen, but not like I thought. All three are limping to the finish line. Terrible job by Man U only taking 2 points from 15th West Ham and 12th Southampton, regardless of the good form of those squads.

It would be interesting if the EPL held the Man U v. Leicester game up until after the Chelsea game so everyone knows the stakes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It would be interesting if the EPL held the Man U v. Leicester game up until after the Chelsea game so everyone knows the stakes.
Everyone playing the final game at the same time is so fair that MLB adopted it.

Reaction Score
I'm no expert, but keeping Pulisic out until the 58th minute down 4-1 against Liverpool was a bit odd. He's one of, if not their best player, then comes in a sets up a nasty goal within two minutes.

A top 4 spot is on the line.
I feel Frank deserves a lot of criticism today for that lineup he put out. In a season where he was mostly right, today unfortunately wasn't one of those days. If its true Pulisic had a slight knock, why bring him in at that time. It doesn't add up. He is by far the most in form player Chelsea has.

Reaction Score
Leicester City currently in 3rd, loses again. I feel they have the toughest matches remaining of the sides in 3rd through 6th. This is going to be really interesting.

Leicester is fading like I thought they might and may not win on Sunday. Wolves had 5th or better in their hands and they left 4 points on the board when they gave up stoppage time goals to Sheffield United and Burnley. They had it, dammit. Still love the team though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would love to see Leicester knock Man U of their perch. United might have taken their foot off the gas too soon this season.

Reaction Score
Leicester has not been good since Madison when down. They have not been able to find that connector to Vardy. But in 1 game, anything can happen, and Wolves can absolutely defeat Chelsea too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom