Enoch | The Boneyard

Enoch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is this going to be another roll of the eyes big man? I mean he hits the doghouse harder than others have in the past which is somewhat puzzling, but for now I guess he deserves this. Just like the others in the past 3-4 years no natural instincts shown thus far on the defensive end, always a step slow and a step behind. easily the most talented and physical big man we've seen in a while but not at all ready or improving on the end he needs to. Opposition going by him like they were Rod Foster, late to react on okays which are right in front of him. I though the light would go off and hope it still does but it is scary to see little to nothing new going on here. And they need him but he's a liability.

Reaction Score
Is this going to be another roll of the eyes big man? I mean he hits the doghouse harder than others have in the past which is somewhat puzzling, but for now I guess he deserves this. Just like the others in the past 3-4 years no natural instincts shown thus far on the defensive end, always a step slow and a step behind. easily the most talented and physical big man we've seen in a while but not at all ready or improving on the end he needs to. Opposition going by him like they were Rod Foster, late to react on okays which are right in front of him. I though the light would go off and hope it still does but it is scary to see little to nothing new going on here. And they need him but he's a liability.

He picked up 2 quick fouls in 10 seconds, but for the life of me, I don't know how the ref called a foul on him. He backed down his man. Only his butt could have fouled the guy. He was standing in FRONT of him.

Reaction Score
He has so much talent on the low block but his fouls and slow feet on defense will keep him on the bench. We miss Miller so badly. When your bigs don't command a double team against a small team you are in trouble if you are a below average outside shooting team.

Hes the 3rd youngest on the team so hopefully he gets better as season progresses. If not then i expect a big jump by his Junior year.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah he seems to be a step slow defensively. Still much better than he was last year though.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He doesn't do himself or the team any good when he fouls so much
He is a foul magnet
He is in better shape physically this year and we have seen he has a good set of different shots.
I know some say keep him in but if he plays 15 minutes he may just collect his 5 fouls and sit down
I remember Ed Nelson getting 2 fouls just by stepping on the court! Bur Nelson was more of a finished player, hard to believe

Reaction Score
I don't get why we don't just play zone when he is out there. Take advantage of college rules and park him under the basket so you don't have to worry about his poor mobility and instincts.

May need to do just that to strengthen offense or shall I say hope to strengthen?

Reaction Score
I still say let him foul out and learn from his mistakes. There will come a time when we start playing against Giants who have game. I don't want Ollie calling on a rusty Enoch to bang with them. Now is the time (early season) to invest in Enoch because minutes will naturally be reduced as Amida continues toward improvement.

Be nice 2 headed weapon the both of them, especially since it seems Durham has more to learn, grow and develop.

Reaction Score
I still say let him foul out and learn from his mistakes. There will come a time when we start playing against Giants who have game. I don't want Ollie calling on a rusty Enoch to bang with them. Now is the time (early season) to invest in Enoch because minutes will naturally be reduced as Amida continues toward improvement.

Be nice 2 headed weapon the both of them, especially since it seems Durham has more to learn, grow and develop.

Any other season I would agree with you that early in season let him play and learn but when your 1-2 and almost 0-3 against mid-majors then you have no time tinker with things.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Any other season I would agree with you that early in season let him play and learn but when your 1-2 and almost 0-3 against mid-majors then you have no time tinker with things.

Yep. I'm also thinking what happens in the instances where brimah can't stay on the floor. If Enoch has already fouled out, they are .

I'm thinking posters got a little too excited about him coming in. He rose up the rankings late due to potential alone. Really young and raw coming in.

The first non project big in a while blew out his knees. What can you do?

Reaction Score
He has so much talent on the low block but his fouls and slow feet on defense will keep him on the bench. We miss Miller so badly. When your bigs don't command a double team against a small team you are in trouble if you are a below average outside shooting team.

Hes the 3rd youngest on the team so hopefully he gets better as season progresses. If not then i expect a big jump by his Junior year.
Problem is problem is he is slow. You can't teach quickness. If you don't have it you don't have it.

Reaction Score
Problem is problem is he is slow. You can't teach quickness. If you don't have it you don't have it.

I don't think it's slow athletically that is killing him as much as slow to react to what's happening in front of him. Much like our bigs now, the game doesn't come naturally to him right now, where to be, when to help, when not to etc etc....His fouls are from late reaction and being out of position mostly on the defensive end. Not saying he's fast by any means but physically fast enough to play the post if he was quicker to react. Can only hope it eventually hits home.

Reaction Score
i've been thinking about enoch a lot as well... is he gonna be ready to be our starting center next year? seems like an awful big leap at this point.

i know he's young and everyone progresses at a different rate, but brimah was starting most games by the time he was a sophomore!

Reaction Score
i've been thinking about enoch a lot as well... is he gonna be ready to be our starting center next year? seems like an awful big leap at this point.

i know he's young and everyone progresses at a different rate, but brimah was starting most games by the time he was a sophomore!

AB starting was because we didn't have anyone else but also because after his frosh year there was a chance for him to explode on the scene (he was DPOY too). If you compare the 2 there are similarities but unlike AB, Steve brings nothing to the defensive side for now. AB was at least blocking shots and making a difference despite similar knowledge of the game. For now SE has a ways to go, unfortunately it would seem a long way after 3 games.

Reaction Score
I am amazed at how lost some of our guys look on the court despite practicing every day. Over the past few seasons we have or had 4th and 5th year guards who can't dribble or make a decent pass. No surprise that a Soph center gets caught out of position a fair amount. We truly have become a mid major and lots of our guys play like guys at that level.

We have lots of talent, but the team's collective basketball IQ is very low. Hate to say it, but I don't see very many good wins this season.

Having said that, the young nucleus of AG, TL, VJ and JA has me excited for next season. A healthy and productive Juwan Durham would provide a great boost.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I really have been high on Enoch since he stepped on campus, but I feel like the front-court development here and overall offensive gameplan is doing him a disservice.

Reaction Score
I read or heard something Geno said about rebounding the other night and he was spot on. Kind of something to the point of "kids come in and they can either rebound or they can't. You can teach a few to get better but a kid already has the "it" coming into the program and I immediately know who they are"

It's no different with the guys and quite honestly it's almost the same across the board with passing, defense, shooting etc etc.. Some of it is a gift which you can expand to higher levels for your game with improvement but the pieces need to already exist if you are to be coachable. There are some who go against this thinking I am sure but doubt there are many.

Reaction Score
Can't quite figure what's holding Steve back. Sure he's a little slow on D but there's ways to compensate you just got to figure it out . I would start giving him some minutes in certain situations at some point you have to see what he's got. Most would have thought he would be further along at this point . Met him before his frosh year had a nice conversation very nice , polite young man . I am pulling hard for him , still has plenty of time .

Reaction Score
He needs to get his a** in gear. If you think we need him now, just wait until next year. We cant have him riding the pine all year. He needs experience. He needs to do whatever it takes to become a regular in the rotation. He may need a classic JC but chewing.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't think it's slow athletically that is killing him as much as slow to react to what's happening in front of him. Much like our bigs now, the game doesn't come naturally to him right now, where to be, when to help, when not to etc etc....His fouls are from late reaction and being out of position mostly on the defensive end. Not saying he's fast by any means but physically fast enough to play the post if he was quicker to react. Can only hope it eventually hits home.

Amazing how having (or developing) good basketball instincts/IQ markedly increases a player's 'speed'.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Having said that, the young nucleus of AG, TL, VJ and JA has me excited for next season. A healthy and productive Juwan Durham would provide a great boost.

I would say that's an absolute necessity, not just 'icing on the top'. If they don't have a strong/contributing Durham next season, they are . Obviously Enoch's development plays into this. He's gonna need a really huge jump to make Durham a luxury.

Reaction Score
Well last game AB was playing really inspired and Coach rode him. Unless we see SE and AB on the court at the same time I'd keep Brimah in until he fouls out.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I put some of his non development on the coaching staff as well.

Reaction Score
I am amazed at how lost some of our guys look on the court despite practicing every day. Over the past few seasons we have or had 4th and 5th year guards who can't dribble or make a decent pass. No surprise that a Soph center gets caught out of position a fair amount. We truly have become a mid major and lots of our guys play like guys at that level.

We have lots of talent, but the team's collective basketball IQ is very low. Hate to say it, but I don't see very many good wins this season.

AB had a good last game but he gets caught out of position a fair amount too. Enoch has been tagged for some questionable calls almost like just walking on the floor but he gives us a solid body if he can stay out there and he hasn't proven he can. When AB gets in foul trouble he'll get his chance, still hopeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom