Enoch is transferring | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Enoch is transferring

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Emeka isn't a coach and the days of using UConn basketball as a jobs program for former UConn players isn't working.

+1 Resurrect Pete Newell and we're off and running.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
From my 1 year history assistant coaching 6 and 7 year olds, what Ollie needs is a strong veteran voice on the bench, and front court coaching that delivers results. Whether those results are achieved through better scouting and evaluation, player development or both doesn't matter. Any changes we need to make have to be done sooner rather than later.

If Enoch as a player knew something about the direction we were going, saw all the PT available, and still decided to leave despite the top coach wanting him back? That's scary.

C

Chief00

My guess is Ollie is coming under pressure to deliver for the first time. Remember, AD Dave has zero loyalty to Ollie, Calhoun or the past. Plus based on what we've seen from him to date he expects results and isn't scared to take heat unlike his predecessor. So he is looking for players and coaches who can deliver next year not 4 years from now. The fact

Things are not what they use to be between KO and JC.

Reaction Score
To what are you referring? Not trying to start anything, just curious. Problems within and/or between staff members?
There was an article stating that Ollie and DB were going to be in talks about what was best to do.

Reaction Score
Stinks (especially being a local kid).

Didn't Ollie recently say he will be one of UConn's best centers ever?
Steve may be tired at Ollie screaming at him in practice to play defense.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I like Enoch a lot and there is potential in there but the days of waiting for any of our big men to figure some things out until they are seniors has to be over. Need to bring in ready made big men and need someone to coach them up.

I have zero problem with these type of guys. But the corollary is that they need to be firmly situated on the bench behind a starting caliber player. When they get to be juniors and seniors, then give them more burn.

Reaction Score
Or we could go off of a transfer and unconfirmed speculation and continue to believe that the sky is falling.

Yea I don't know whether to freak out or not so I guess I won't. Sorry/not sorry for calling him out by Zionn has predicted transfers and that the sky is falling before and nothing happened. Maybe he has good sources and got bad info one time and is on the money here, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Reaction Score
I guess put me in the camp of rather having Enoch than not - but there are upgrades out there and I dunno. I just think Ollie's kind of done with projects it seems - especially given the talent level of the last two recruiting classes.

And everyone in here more or less agrees that the player development in this program hasn't been all that great the last few years so whether Ollie is embracing a coaching staff shakeup or not - I DO think it's needed. There are just so many talented guys floating out there that could help this program.

What concerns me is the attachment level the current talent has to these assistants because the school can't afford to lose 2-3 guys. I mean that's the question. But super toolsy recruits who don't pan out transfer from schools all the time. SO it's not like i'm jumping off the bridge here.

What I DON'T like is I see a lot of UMassy stuff going on consistently. A fervor for the old guard. Program alums being gited staff positions that aren't particularly good fits for the program. Recruits that perpetually don't develop and leave. Short term plugs that keep them circling around relevancy but due to the transfer stuff and lack of development - they're not really able to break out of that cycle. In-conference issues that contribute and exacerbate problems. Once that snowball really gets going - it becomes incredibly difficult to stop it. THAT'S what worries me. Then with Big East money drying up, lack of results on the court, all that stuff.. it puts them in an unenviable position of being up against a clock where theyr'e going to have to make department-wide decisions on what their real priorities are heading forward. That's the very real downside if there's big changes coming.

So I guess that's where i'm at.

pj

Reaction Score
He got 12 minutes a game with a 6/7 man rotation. If he was good enough to play, he would have gotten more than 12 minutes this year.

This is the key. When Cobb was recruited I said Cobb would be the starter over Enoch, and everybody disagreed. I think Enoch saw the writing on the wall. If he wants big minutes, he should go to a mid-major. If he stayed he was probably going to be having another 12 minute per game year.

For UConn, this leaves them thinner at center, but also helps balance the roster. They were overloaded with big men and short of guards. It will improve the roster if they can bring in a one-year grad transfer and get a good 2018 recruit.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yea I don't know whether to freak out or not so I guess I won't. Sorry/not sorry for calling him out by Zionn has predicted transfers and that the sky is falling before and nothing happened. Maybe he has good sources and got bad info one time and is on the money hear, but I'll believe it when I see it.

And people buy in automatically because what he's saying feeds into their preconceived biases.

FWIW the people I've talked to around the AD did say that upper management was beyond concerned with KO and the team's performance this year. So a staff shuffle is understandable and to be expected. As far as player transfers go, I'm with you in the "believe it when I see it" camp.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom