End the Entitlement | Page 2 | The Boneyard

End the Entitlement

Reaction Score
Thank you for reminding us we should lower our standards and expectations. We definitely ought not compare the coach and players to past models of success. They should just strive to do their best and that’s good enough. Usually successful programs work that way. They don’t hold people to standards of excellence. Really trying hard is the key. And yes, the folks that sit there week in and week out on their couches after pounding nails, driving trucks, working floors, etc. that are driving the viewership ratings, donating money, buying tickets. and buying merchandise should feel badly about criticizing the coach who gets paid millions from taxpayer dollars.
You’re right bro, the fat slobs on the couch screaming that they could coach the team better or play PG in D1 better are the REAL HEROES!!!!!

so embarrassed to share a team with tools like you

Reaction Score
Thank you for reminding us we should lower our standards and expectations. We definitely ought not compare the coach and players to past models of success. They should just strive to do their best and that’s good enough. Usually successful programs work that way. They don’t hold people to standards of excellence. Really trying hard is the key. And yes, the folks that sit there week in and week out on their couches after pounding nails, driving trucks, working floors, etc. that are driving the viewership ratings, donating money, buying tickets. and buying merchandise should feel badly about criticizing the coach who gets paid millions from taxpayer dollars.
You could have saved your fat little fingers a lot of effort and just sputtered “We’Re UcOnN”

Reaction Score
First off, I would like to thank the whole team and coaching staff for bringing us to this point and giving us a bright future to look forward to. When I think about what this team could be, not next year but the year after, I'm very excited about what's happening in Storrs. With that said....

I have to call out our fan base. We really have to stop with this sense of entitlement that we feel that somehow a magical run in the postseason is owed to us. I think what has really spoiled us are the 2011 and 2014 runs. We are so fortunate to have even one of those incredible runs let along two and now it's like some fans just assume that every UCONN team is going to turn into a world beater when the calendar changes in March. Those runs are outliers and should not be the norm at UCONN for years to come. A better way to have sustained success is to approach the program building process slowly and methodically. That's the only way to make UCONN the dominate force in the Big East and nationally. I don't want to say this but we do need to "take the stairs" and take our lumps before we become dominate again. The reason being is that UCONN is a great brand but it's never going to be a Kentucky, Duke or UNC. It's always going to have a chip on it's shoulder mentality that is willing to take on the world. That mentality thrives at UCONN. Calhoun built the program up progressively and after years of being known as the "best coach to not go to a final 4". Jay Wright had the same things written about him. Enjoy the process and stop comparing players and teams to the past. Those players and teams are not "walking thru" the proverbial door. Appreciate what these players and coaches are doing now because it's the start of something great. You never won a national championship, your teams did. You just sat on the couch and cheered them on.
This is why Uconn in never mentioned as a Blueblood!

Reaction Score
If we’re gunna do this...

The “well we have 99, 04, 11, 14” and “4 titles in 15 years” comebacks are getting old. You can appreciate the past but shouldn’t stand on these titles calling yourself tall anymore. Our history is a blessing and will always be appreciated. But using it as an entitled passively aggressive comeback make us look like ***holes.

just stop.

Reaction Score
Imagine what Virginia fans were saying about Tony Bennett when his 1 seed team lost to 16 seed UMBC.....Then he wins the title the next season.......and delivers another stinker this year. Virginia fans must be tongue tied.

Jay Wright was getting a ton of "he'll never get there" grief after his team lost to UCONN in 2014.

Even Calhoun, he just was not a final four level coach until he did it. (his half court offense acumen was routinely criticized)

I'm not defending the lunatic fans who like to drag their coach through the mud after a tough loss, i'm just pointing out that Hurley is in excellent company. I have confidence he will prove to be a final four level coach and shut up the entitled lunatics.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
People like to say "everyone gets a trophy culture!" but I have been coaching basketball, XC, and track for the past 6 years from the middle school, to HS level... from kids that can't run a lap to 8 kids that have gotten D1 scholarships for the various sports. I have yet to see "everyone gets a trophy culture" in action. It's a weird conservative talking point that has no basis in objective reality.
Absolutely agree. Once you are out of elementary school and kids starting out in sports this belief just doesn’t hold water.

Reaction Score
This old chestnut. So he owes you? All major coaches make a lot of money. Deal with it. When was the UConn coach not the highest paid employee?
Maybe reading an entire sentence is hard for you. With any coaches high pay comes expectations. Produce or leave, getting into a tourney in three years is borderline producing..

Reaction Score
We’ve been very fortunate and in fact continue to be. Getting back to the tourney in Hurley year 3 is on schedule. I recommend looking around at the other hires made that year and how those coaches are doing. Of course you’re allowed to criticize the coach, the question is not whether you can, it’s whether you should.
Yes! Look at these recent hires. Look at how much worse UConn was compared to peers at the starting point of the hire. Look at how Hurley has UConn playing better than most already by Year 3. This is only the beginning. A lot to look forward to going forward.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Yes! Look at these recent hires. Look at how much worse UConn was compared to peers at the starting point of the hire. Look at how Hurley has UConn playing better than most already by Year 3. This is only the beginning. A lot to look forward to going forward.

Thank you for doing that.

Reaction Score
Maybe reading an entire sentence is hard for you. With any coaches high pay comes expectations. Produce or leave, getting into a tourney in three years is borderline producing..
You have a lack of understanding of how far down we were and how long it takes to build it back up. Maybe understanding that is hard for you....

Reaction Score
I don’t think you fully understood his point. There are many barometers for success of the program that do not involve winning a national championship. UConn fans like to make that the standard because it’s where we’ve had disporportionate success given our chances and seeds over the years.

Yes you should have high expectations for this team. Our history, facilities, recruiting footprint and resources to hire top coaching candidates mean we can get back to the mountain top.

But at the same time it’s not exactly easy. Indiana hasn’t been to the tournament in 5 years. Georgetown hasnt been to the sweet 16 since ‘07. These are storied programs.

We’ve been very fortunate and in fact continue to be. Getting back to the tourney in Hurley year 3 is on schedule. I recommend looking around at the other hires made that year and how those coaches are doing. Of course you’re allowed to criticize the coach, the question is not whether you can, it’s whether you should.
A successful program should be: run a clean program, recruit good kids, represent the University and win consistently. I think Hurley can do that- Don't want the program to turn into a one and done school

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
First off, I would like to thank the whole team and coaching staff for bringing us to this point and giving us a bright future to look forward to. When I think about what this team could be, not next year but the year after, I'm very excited about what's happening in Storrs. With that said....

I have to call out our fan base. We really have to stop with this sense of entitlement that we feel that somehow a magical run in the postseason is owed to us. I think what has really spoiled us are the 2011 and 2014 runs. We are so fortunate to have even one of those incredible runs let along two and now it's like some fans just assume that every UCONN team is going to turn into a world beater when the calendar changes in March. Those runs are outliers and should not be the norm at UCONN for years to come. A better way to have sustained success is to approach the program building process slowly and methodically. That's the only way to make UCONN the dominate force in the Big East and nationally. I don't want to say this but we do need to "take the stairs" and take our lumps before we become dominate again. The reason being is that UCONN is a great brand but it's never going to be a Kentucky, Duke or UNC. It's always going to have a chip on it's shoulder mentality that is willing to take on the world. That mentality thrives at UCONN. Calhoun built the program up progressively and after years of being known as the "best coach to not go to a final 4". Jay Wright had the same things written about him. Enjoy the process and stop comparing players and teams to the past. Those players and teams are not "walking thru" the proverbial door. Appreciate what these players and coaches are doing now because it's the start of something great. You never won a national championship, your teams did. You just sat on the couch and cheered them on.

1) UConn. It’s UConn.

2) Paragraphs.

3) Those players are actually walking through the door these doors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom