End of January, Where The Team Is At | Page 2 | The Boneyard

End of January, Where The Team Is At

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Absolutely. Scares the heck out of me going into the post season.

So how did they get in this position?

1). Gaffney's lack of development.
2). Diggins not being ready.
3). Jackson not really being the answer as the 2nd ball handler.
4). Hawkins having an awful handle (a reach since they probably already knew this).

If the coaching staff knew in the offseason what we know now, they never would have put the team in this precarious position.

I'm okay with Jackson as the secondary ball handler.

Reaction Score
I'm okay with Jackson as the secondary ball handler.
Same here. We think of "ball handling" as the ability to put the ball on the floor. It is every bit as much the ability to find the open man with a pass. The ideal fast break is one where the ball doesn't touch the floor. It is also, by far, the most effective way to break a press. Jackson can teach the whole team a thing or two about the art of the pass.

Reaction Score
Same here. We think of "ball handling" as the ability to put the ball on the floor. It is every bit as much the ability to find the open man with a pass. The ideal fast break is one where the ball doesn't touch the floor. It is also, by far, the most effective way to break a press. Jackson can teach the whole team a thing or two about the art of the pass.
I do like how AJax can push the ball up and dish it off as opposed to dribbling around the perimeter with no sense of urgency.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Well, I do think of ball handling as putting the ball on the floor. Halfway through his second season I am comfortable with AJ dribbling against opponents second best on ball defender.

Does he have a tight handle? Not a chance. But he covers so much ground when he moves with the ball, defenders have a tough time stopping him. Right now AJ induces more TO's while handling the ball due to his decision making moreso than the defenders taking the ball away from him.

Reaction Score
As far as semantics go, ball handling, per se, has absolutely nothing to do with the ability to find the open man with a pass. Now, someone who is utterly adept at ball handling might be better able to find the open man because he is using up less mental bandwidth on the ball handling itself, but that does not mean passing and vision are part of ball handling.

Reaction Score
As far as semantics go, ball handling, per se, has absolutely nothing to do with the ability to find the open man with a pass. Now, someone who is utterly adept at ball handling might be better able to find the open man because he is using up less mental bandwidth on the ball handling itself, but that does not mean passing and vision are part of ball handling.
Let's see if I have this straight. It's ball-handling if you slam it to the floor and catch it when it bounces up. It's not ball-handling if you guide it to an open man for a shot or a relay to a still more open man. Permit me to disagree. That fast break the other day where the ball traveled the length of the court, never touching the floor,, going from AJ to Martin to RJ to Whaley for the dunk -- was that not ball-handling? Let me suggest it was ball-handling par excellence. Maybe not semantics but certainly some antics.

Reaction Score
I always find it interesting when I come across a different understanding of something that has been straight forward to me. @Sphinx , would you consider shooting to be part of ball handling since you have to guide the ball to the basket?

Reaction Score
I always find it interesting when I come across a different understanding of something that has been straight forward to me. @Sphinx , would you consider shooting to be part of ball handling since you have to guide the ball to the basket?
The answer, respectfully, is "No. I wouldn't." Ball-handling is everything you do with the ball to set up the shot. Setting up a good shot is the object of ball-handling. I would not consider that a difficult distinction.

Reaction Score
We've learned that this team has some warts, but when on they are capable of playing with anyone. If a bunch of guys get hot at the same time, they can make a run.
If this team can get some consistency a title run is possible. The talent is there.

Reaction Score
The answer, respectfully, is "No. I wouldn't." Ball-handling is everything you do with the ball to set up the shot. Setting up a good shot is the object of ball-handling. I would not consider that a difficult distinction.

This isn't my experience, and what you're saying would confuse most basketball players if you were trying to explain a concept to them. When someone refers to "ballhandling" they are referring to their ability to dribble the ball. Nothing more, nothing less. No one says "you have handles" if you can pass the ball.

I actually think the way you think of ballhandling is actually a good thing... it just isn't commonly what people refer to. If I tell a kid to work on his "ballhandling," he isn't going to go into his driveway and practice pocket passes, he's going to practice his dribbling.

If I'm talking about passing ability, I'm going to tell a kid to work on "decision-making"... not his ballhandling.

Footwork is a huge part of ballhandling that tends to get ignored as well.

Reaction Score
Surprised to see Cole at -0.4 and Gaffney at 10.0. That one doesn't seem to jive with what I've seen.
I think it mainly comes from Gaffney getting very few minutes, and he's being put on the court in sheltered situations to help him succeed. He doesn't play a ton, but he shows up high in a lot of our best 2/3/4 man combos, so the minutes he gets are in lineups that really complement him

ADD0D551-FB25-4998-8715-E78E25EA6A68.jpeg

67261D73-2E15-407D-A5A1-010499CC981C.jpeg

Reaction Score
Looking at Auburn and the other highly ranked team, I still wouldn't trade our team for any of those teams.

We've got something here and although the painting ain't finished, the picture so far looks really nice.
I like the way you put it. We should really continue to remember how we felt the past 7 years. This is the most fun part about being a fan. Watching your team rise. The least fun is being abysmal, but just as bad is being a top dog and watching in fear of who will knock you off. This is the most pumped I've been for a uconn team in a loooong time. Regardless of outcome tonight they have definitely crossed into greener pastures.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I feel like we have found a working identity and I like that. We are poised to make a run. Whether we make that run or fall a bit flat is hard to say at this point, but I like how we have postured ourselves to this point leading into a pretty tough month. It's all right in front of us, right now. Let's grab it and hopefully not piss it away.

Reaction Score
The thing that concerns me is that I think we are easy to scout and that the better coaches, with the right talent, can prepare and execute a game plan that will expose our weaknesses. Namely, cut off the head of the dragon, as Calhoun used to put it when we did it to other teams.

This month should tell us a lot, especially whether we have an answer if teams are able to put RJ on an island.
Agreed, I would defend RJ hard and double Sanoga and let the other guys beat me. The guys not named Cole and Sanoga have been to inconsistent on offense. I see other teams with alot more that 2 offensive weapons but we are who we are and will need to continue to win on defense and rebounding.

Reaction Score
Looking at Auburn and the other highly ranked team, I still wouldn't trade our team for any of those teams.

We've got something here and although the painting ain't finished, the picture so far looks really nice.
cautiously optimistic

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
We've had multiple games recently (aside the last) with more than 2 players scoring double digits, I think our O is underrated here to be honest - I get it, it feels bad, but look at the scores of our games most of them are pretty high.

Reaction Score
Let's see if I have this straight. It's ball-handling if you slam it to the floor and catch it when it bounces up. It's not ball-handling if you guide it to an open man for a shot or a relay to a still more open man. Permit me to disagree. That fast break the other day where the ball traveled the length of the court, never touching the floor,, going from AJ to Martin to RJ to Whaley for the dunk -- was that not ball-handling? Let me suggest it was ball-handling par excellence. Maybe not semantics but certainly some antics.
As others have said, you are using your own (in my opinion perfectly reasonable) definition of ball handling, but no one else (as far as I can tell) uses that definition.

I like the word play, by the way!

Reaction Score
I like where we are at. A bunch of tough games coming up, but we have a bit of cushion record-wise. Hopefully we can win 5 of the next 8 or better.

Reaction Score
Right now I’d say we are in a heap of trouble with this and DePaul showings and what we are seeing Saturday and after……

Reaction Score
Absolutely. Scares the heck out of me going into the post season.

So how did they get in this position?

1). Gaffney's lack of development.
2). Diggins not being ready.
3). Jackson not really being the answer as the 2nd ball handler.
4). Hawkins having an awful handle (a reach since they probably already knew this).

If the coaching staff knew in the offseason what we know now, they never would have put the team in this precarious position.
I believe this is the 45th time this has been posed. I believe the answer was and is “ who knows?”

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What we've learned in that there are four ways to beat this UConn team:

1. Catch them 18 hours after they've gone double-overtime against Auburn and without their defensive player of the year (Whaley) in the lineup

2. Catch them without two key starters (Martin and Sanogo) playing a single minute.

3. Catch them playing with Sanogo still out and Martin in his first game back after two weeks without practice.

4. Catch them after two-weeks without any team activity due to Covid.

And you beat them, btw, by a total combined margin of 13 points in the four games, two of the games in their opponent's gym and one of them in OT.

That's how you beat them.
5?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom