End of January, Where The Team Is At | The Boneyard

End of January, Where The Team Is At

Reaction Score
On 1-31-22 UConn is 15-4, Ranked #17 in the AP and Top 3 in the Big East. I would certainly have signed up for that before the season.
The team is healthy and has won 5 in a row, albeit against teams at or near the bottom of the conference. As some have said, you can only play who's on the schedule...except for PC. In any event, Coach Hurley has this team where it needs to be. Let's hope the team comes out strong tomorrow night and sets the tone for a great February.

Reaction Score
The team is healthy and has won 5 in a row, albeit against teams at or near the bottom of the conference.
Feb schedule is tough and will show us who this team really is. 6-3 this month would be good anything better is great and undefeated puts us top 5. Anything worse than 5-4 is not a good look but will be an honest view of what this team really is. Im as excited for Feb as i have been since maybe 2014. This is going to be fun. Got my amlodipin ready.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The thing that concerns me is that I think we are easy to scout and that the better coaches, with the right talent, can prepare and execute a game plan that will expose our weaknesses. Namely, cut off the head of the dragon, as Calhoun used to put it when we did it to other teams.

This month should tell us a lot, especially whether we have an answer if teams are able to put RJ on an island.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The thing that concerns me is that I think we are easy to scout and that the better coaches, with the right talent, can prepare and execute a game plan that will expose our weaknesses. Namely, cut off the head of the dragon, as Calhoun used to put it when we did it to other teams.

This month should tell us a lot, especially whether we have an answer if teams are able to put RJ on an island.

Easy to scout but I still think there's a wild card or two in the UConn lineup that can change games against better teams.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Easy to scout but I still think there's a wild card or two in the UConn lineup that can change games against better teams.
No question. I agree. If Polley or Hawkins are hitting it’s a whole new game; or if AJax does more of the good Ajax things and less of the bad. Or if TMart finds his groove.

But the lack of a second decent ball handler still spooks me.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No question. I agree. If Polley or Hawkins are hitting it’s a whole new game; or if AJax does more of the good Ajax things and less of the bad. Or if TMart finds his groove.

And then some.
I still think Akok wins a game coming off the bench. I know his lateral quickness and stength on D are suspect at best.

But man, you see the blocks, sprint and alley oops and see the 3's raining and it's something even the best scouting comes up short against come game time. At least once or twice.

Good thing about this team is Akok, if ineffective, can be shut down in less than 10 minutes, and this is still a top 15 team.

Reaction Score

Absolutely. Scares the heck out of me going into the post season.

So how did they get in this position?

1). Gaffney's lack of development.
2). Diggins not being ready.
3). Jackson not really being the answer as the 2nd ball handler.
4). Hawkins having an awful handle (a reach since they probably already knew this).

If the coaching staff knew in the offseason what we know now, they never would have put the team in this precarious position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

RJ is so important to this team. He is so experienced and really good with the ball. Add in all the charges he takes and the crazy shots he somehow gets to fall and you've got a pretty amazing player. I too fear that we are overly reliant on him, at least in terms of ball handling, and likely in leadership. If he can continue to fight and lead maybe he will be one of the greats? As great as Sanogo and Jackson are, Cole is absolutely the most indispensable.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
RJ is so important to this team. He is so experienced and really good with the ball. Add in all the charges he takes and the crazy shots he somehow gets to fall and you've got a pretty amazing player. I too fear that we are overly reliant on him, at least in terms of ball handling, and likely in leadership. If he can continue to fight and lead maybe he will be one of the greats? As great as Sanogo and Jackson are, Cole is absolutely the most indispensable.
Agreed. Without Cole we are a sub .500 team.

Reaction Score
Solid team with a major Achilles heal that can be exposed with Cole in foul trouble.

Reaction Score

To beat us you simply have to take Sanogo out of the game. Whether thats through fouls, being physical or double him anytime he gets the ball or deny him altogether. So gos Sanogo so go the Huskies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
To beat us you simply have to take Sanogo out of the game. Whether thats through fouls, being physical or double him anytime he gets the ball or deny him altogether. So gos Sanogo so go the Huskies.
Some hero on here posted efficiency and production ratings earlier this month. I could be on crack but I thought it said we’re more productive and efficient when Sanogo is on the bench.

Reaction Score
Some hero on here posted efficiency and production ratings earlier this month. I could be on crack but I thought it said we’re more productive and efficient when Sanogo is on the bench.
We're 5.1 points better on offense and 4.5 points better on defense with Sanogo on the floor

307CC7E8-7A79-441A-B0BB-3D891A635011.jpeg

Reaction Score
We're 5.1 points better on offense and 4.5 points better on defense with Sanogo on the floor

View attachment 72884

If Jackson can keep up that impact on defense, and consistently keep the TOs down next season, those offensive #s will be better. If he manages to learn to score anything at the rim other than a dunk, he could be all big east level.

Reaction Score
Idk what these metrics take into account but anything that suggests we are 10 points better on offense with Gaffney than RJ I am not going to put much stock into. Lol
You're always going to get weird flukes like that when looking at someone like Gaffney who is only playing a few minutes a game and mostly in garbage time

Reaction Score
What we've learned in that there are four ways to beat this UConn team:

1. Catch them 18 hours after they've gone double-overtime against Auburn and without their defensive player of the year (Whaley) in the lineup

2. Catch them without two key starters (Martin and Sanogo) playing a single minute.

3. Catch them playing with Sanogo still out and Martin in his first game back after two weeks without practice.

4. Catch them after two-weeks without any team activity due to Covid.

And you beat them, btw, by a total combined margin of 13 points in the four games, two of the games in their opponent's gym and one of them in OT.

That's how you beat them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom