Encouraging Tendencies | The Boneyard

Encouraging Tendencies

Reaction Score
For those who understand how hard it is to play competitive basketball well and how many ranked teams UConn has cruised over already.

This is a powerful, powerful team that is living up to the lofty pre-season expectations.
  • Z has had a couple of games now that conform much more closely to what UConn needs from her. Really, what is her ceiling? we haven't seen it yet. We can imagine her getting a double-double game in, game out. She's completely committed to the system and that's the important thing.
  • Kia's shooting has been nothing short of amazing.
  • Crystal has lived up to all of Geno's preseason hype: what a sophomore leap, and this is just the beginning of the season.
  • Gabby is her usual self.
  • Lou was fantastic before her injury, showing that, as Geno says, she's ready to take the next step.
  • The only fall-off is Pheesa. But her clutch game against UCLA shows she's still got it; maybe just too many good players on the court at this pont.
  • Megan has had a couple of impressive games, and, as a typical freshman struggling to absorb the system and adjust to the challenges of the classroom and being away from home, she will go up and down. But we have seen why last year she was high school NPOY and is likely to win the same college award in 3 years.
  • Lou's and Batouly's injuries only showed how terrifically deep this team is and what a team this will be when they come back soon.
  • SIX, SIX, SIX!!! players on the Naismith Watch List.
  • the rest of the team hasn't played all that well, but AEH has definitely had her moments. This is understandable, as practice time with the first team is precious. This is the hard part of UConn's schedule, and likely we can't look for substantial improvement in game performance until after the South Carolina game on Feb 1
The greatest team in history was likely the 2000 UConn team, but injuries derailed it. The following year, the 01/02 team, was therefore maybe UConn's (and WCBB's?) best. Comparing scores, yes, the 01 UConn raced through the early part with higher scores, but that's before UConn had to schedule "an inverted split" with the tough part up front. After the start, the 01 team had some 20-25 point wins as well. But really and truly, you can't measure greatness with a point differential. It's a highly subjective appreciation.

I don't know that we can compare any team to one that had Sue and D in its backcourt. That's an absurd amount of talent. And what a complementary forecourt! But 1 through 7, 17/18 is likely the deepest excellent team UConn has had. The ball bounces funny ways, and let's not joke about the ways that a knee can bend. But if all goes according to plan, this is a team for the ages.

Trolls: there's another thread called "disturbing tendencies".

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For those who understand how hard it is to play competitive basketball well and how many ranked teams UConn has cruised over already.

This is a powerful, powerful team that is living up to the lofty pre-season expectations.
  • Z has had a couple of games now that conform much more closely to what UConn needs from her. Really, what is her ceiling? we haven't seen it yet. We can imagine her getting a double-double game in, game out. She's completely committed to the system and that's the important thing.
  • Kia's shooting has been nothing short of amazing.
  • Crystal has lived up to all of Geno's preseason hype: what a sophomore leap, and this is just the beginning of the season.
  • Gabby is her usual self.
  • Lou was fantastic before her injury, showing that, as Geno says, she's ready to take the next step.
  • The only fall-off is Pheesa. But her clutch game against UCLA shows she's still got it; maybe just too many good players on the court at this pont.
  • Megan has had a couple of impressive games, and, as a typical freshman struggling to absorb the system and adjust to the challenges of the classroom and being away from home, she will go up and down. But we have seen why last year she was high school NPOY and is likely to win the same college award in 3 years.
  • Lou's and Batouly's injuries only showed how terrifically deep this team is and what a team when they come back soon.
  • SIX, SIX, SIX!!! players on the Naismith Watch List.
  • the rest of the team hasn't played all that well, but AEH has definitely had her moments. This is understandable, as practice time with the first team is precious. This is the hard part of UConn's schedule, and likely we can't look for substantial improvement in game performance until after the South Carolina game on Feb 1
The greatest team in history was likely the 2000 UConn team, but injuries derailed it. The following year, the 01/02 team, was therefore maybe UConn's (and WCBB's?) best. Comparing scores, yes, the 01 UConn raced through the early part with higher scores, but that's before UConn had to schedule "an inverted split" with the tough part up front. After the start, the 01 team had some 20-25 point wins as well. But really and truly, you can't measure greatness with a point differential. It's a highly subjective appreciation.

I don't know that we can compare any team to one that had Sue and D in its backcourt. That's an absurd amount of talent. And what a complementary forecourt! But 1 through 7, 17/18 is likely the deepest excellent team UConn's has had. The ball bounces funny ways, and let's not joke about the ways that a knee can bend. But if all goes according to plan, this is a team for the ages.

Trolls: there's another thread called "disturbing tendencies".

I wish you would get out of this funk you've been in! Head bang:D:D

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm just so discouraged by... absolutely nothing. Nothing about this thread, nothing about this team. They are well ahead of where they were at the same point last season, and it's becoming clear, they are well ahead of everyone else in WCBB.

Having said that, I don't think it's unfair to discuss the areas that need improvement. Don't you think Geno harps on that stuff every practice? He wants them all to be the very best players they can be - it's one of the many things that makes him so great.

Still, you pretty much nailed all the "check" boxes. The one exception is team health. Batouly since the start of the season, and Lou for the past few weeks. Looking forward to seeing the entire team at 100% health - that's my Christmas wish for all of them...

WestCoastPup

Eclipse
Reaction Score
Great Post! Thanks for sharing.
One thing I'd add regard Phessa, she's working just as hard in the paint to get open. Often times I see her in position and flashing her numbers, but the ball doesn't come to her (either team mates didn't see / react, or someone else was more open). Still the posts rely on the guards getting them the ball, some of the difference from last year is simply flow of the game. The encouraging thing is, I see her moving, cutting and positioning the same as last year, so she'll get hers when the ball comes to her.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I approve of this thread. The only thing I have to add is a big thumbs up. :)
giphy.gif

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't know that we can compare any team to one that had Sue and D in its backcourt. That's an absurd amount of talent. And what a complementary forecourt! But 1 through 7, 17/18 is likely the deepest excellent team UConn has had. The ball bounces funny ways, and let's not joke about the ways that a knee can bend. But if all goes according to plan, this is a team for the ages.
Great post but ... while I grant you that 2000-2002 teams with Sue and DT had a back-court for the ages. It is hard to argue that 2015-16 did not have a pretty special front court with Breanna and Morgan. And 1-7 of Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson, Nurse, Williams, Samuelson, Collier is nothing to sneeze at! Samuelson and Collier as freshman performed very well - we will see if any of the freshman and Camara can equal or surpass what they provided this year. And I am not sure anyone on this team is quite at the level of the star qualities of Stewart and Jefferson. (Not knocking this year's team or the stars, but those two were beyond category and at the pinnacle of their college games.)

I still say that 2001 team that started the season had the best talent top to bottom - Sveta and Shea, Schumacher, Cash, Jones, Williams, Bird, Battle, Johnson, DT, Conlon. People forget about Johnson since she left but she was being groomed to replace Bird before she left, and Battle is the forgotten injured player being lost in game 5 for the year. Still amazing to me that Sveta was voted an AA that year having played only in the first 19 games!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One comment on Pheesa. While her offense has not been at the same “incredible” level as last season so far, perhaps as a result of Geno’s badgering, Pheesa has become a much better defender. She’s more active. Her footwork is better and she’s getting a hand on many passes disrupting opposing offenses and resulting in a number of steals.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One comment on Pheesa. While her offense has not been at the same “incredible” level as last season so far, perhaps as a result of Geno’s badgering, Pheesa has become a much better defender. She’s more active. Her footwork is better and she’s getting a hand on many passes disrupting opposing offenses and resulting in a number of steals.
I think we can expect improved defense from all of last year's players in part because they will be playing significant minutes with a 6'6" backstop. Nothing adds to aggressive defensive posture like having an eraser at the basket to cover up some of the mistakes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom