OT: - Emoni Bates arrested | The Boneyard

OT: Emoni Bates arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What a fall from grace. It's sad just how badly his family (particularly his father) has failed him in life. Marketing the kid so young and putting him in the media spotlight was NOT good for him. Too many hangers on hoping to get some clout or $ out of a kid.

Gun charges are no joke. My brother-in-law did 3 years for similar charges. He was able to turn his life around... hopefully Emoni can drop the baggage he's picked up from being so talented so young, and learn to live a normal life.

Reaction Score
Can't imagine going home is the best move here. Too bad, Bates and Farrakhan could be a pretty decent 1-2 punch.

Reaction Score
Genuinely upset about this. Hope he figures it out soon and stays safe and out of trouble.

Reaction Score
He says it was someone else's car he borrowed and was unaware of the gun. Reasonable considering his status as a celebrity in the town.

I wonder what gave them cause to search the car, though. I guess if he wasn't on registration then they may have searched it to find evidence it was stolen?

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
He says it was someone else's car he borrowed and was unaware of the gun. Reasonable considering his status as a celebrity in the town.

I wonder what gave them cause to search the car, though. I guess if he wasn't on registration then they may have searched it to find evidence it was stolen?
To be fair, that's what everyone says.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Don't wish ill will on the kid and he is still young enough to learn, grow and lead a productive life even if it isn't basketball.

Right now he is stuck in a revolving pattern of play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Here's hoping someone can reach him and help him break the pattern he's currently in.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score

I'm assuming Michigan has caveman laws on the books. No one is getting their car searched in CT for "failing to stop at an intersection" alone. Perhaps there was more to the story that didn't make this article?

Reaction Score
To be fair, that's what everyone says.
Of course, but I'm more apt to believe an overly sheltered kid (Dad has been coaching him every step of the way, created a whole school for him) who grew up in the spotlight and has just moved back home where he is a celebrity is less likely to have an unlicensed and serial number-less firearm and more likely to have borrowed someone's car (ala Bouknight).

But you never know.

Reaction Score

He better hope the search was illegal and he can get out of this. "Shucks I didn't know officer" isn't exactly an excuse legally.

Reaction Score
I'm assuming Michigan has caveman laws on the books. No one is getting their car searched in CT for "failing to stop at an intersection" alone. Perhaps there was more to the story that didn't make this article?

No one anywhere is getting searched for failing to stop at an intersection alone. A public defender 4 beers deep defending 17 clients a day could get that search thrown out in court.

(Kidding aside, I have utmost respect for public defenders. Those folks were hard in way less than ideal conditions)

Reaction Score
Guys, there doesn’t have to be any real reason for a cop to ask to search the car. They can make something up after the fact, like the driver looked nervous or there was a suspicious smell. If the driver consents, it’s legal. It’s about how much pressure the driver is willing to endure by saying “no”.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Are you kidding?

I’m 55 years old , drug free ( not even weed) with a good job and a 21 year old college student daughter and another daughter on the way in a week. I’ve had my car torn apart twice in last 5 years ( last time a year ago with 3 cop cars ) in CT because it’s 2am and how dare I drive with guitar gear in my car on way home from a gig. One stop cause was a dirty license plate. Seriously.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There were comments under one of the articles about this that you're consenting to a search of your car when you step out of the vehicle. Not sure if that's accurate but seems crazy if it is true

August_West

Reaction Score
No one anywhere is getting searched for failing to stop at an intersection alone. A public defender 4 beers deep defending 17 clients a day could get that search thrown out in court.

(Kidding aside, I have utmost respect for public defenders. Those folks were hard in way less than ideal conditions)
It doesn’t matter what a PD can get thrown out of court, cops don’t care about that. Most people will have to sit in a bullpen for days or weeks until that happens.

Reaction Score
Guys, there doesn’t have to be any real reason for a cop to ask to search the car. They can make something up after the fact, like the driver looked nervous or there was a suspicious smell. If the driver consents, it’s legal. It’s about how much pressure the driver is willing to endure by saying “no”.
In CT. I think if a motorist gives consent to have their car searched without the cop requesting it the cop can search your vehicle but they can no longer pressure you into giving consent.

Cops still have a lot of latitude for probable cause searches though. If they smell or see alcohol, drugs, guns, paraphernalia they can search the car.

Basically if they want to search your car they're going to and there's not much you can do to stop it.

August_West

Reaction Score
In CT. I think if a motorist gives consent to have their car searched without the cop requesting it the cop can search your vehicle but they can no longer pressure you into giving consent.

Cops still have a lot of latitude for probable cause searches though. If they smell or see alcohol, drugs, guns, paraphernalia they can search the car.

Basically if they want to search your car they're going to and there's not much you can do to stop it.
There’s nothing you can do about it. Maybe on board car cameras will help people these days, but if you get yanked and are trying to be peaceful because you’ve done nothing egregious, throwing an iPhone in their face will only exacerbate situations. They have full latitude, because they will more often than not make probable cause up .

Reaction Score
Are you kidding?

I’m 55 years old , drug free ( not even weed) with a good job and a 21 year old college student daughter and another daughter on the way in a week. I’ve had my car torn apart twice in last 5 years ( last time a year ago with 3 cop cars ) in CT because it’s 2am and how dare I drive with guitar gear in my car on way home from a gig. One stop cause was a dirty license plate. Seriously.
Do you have a record? They might be targeting you.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Aside from the gun charges it’s unbelievable that a former #1 overall recruit is playing at EMU.
7A991E93-067B-4E6D-B727-882FB17204C2.jpeg

Reaction Score
Am I missing something here? The article says the car wasn't his (he was borrowing it), which infers he didn't even know there was a gun in it. The lawyer's quoted saying to reserve judgment until all the facts are out.

A fabricated alibi or the truth?

Reaction Score
Am I missing something here? The article says the car wasn't his (he was borrowing it), which infers he didn't even know there was a gun in it. The lawyer's quoted saying to reserve judgment until all the facts are out.

A fabricated alibi or the truth?

It isn't an alibi, but it could also be the truth... if that makes sense. Seems likely it wasn't his car, and it very well could not be his gun. It also doesn't preclude him from being charged--according to lawyer-wife sitting next to me. She's on the bar in CT and NC, not Michigan so it could be different. Apparently, if you can prove you didn't know it was there, it's usually a good way to plea down to lesser charges or to get the minimum on sentencing guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom