Emmert's Trophy Presentation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Emmert's Trophy Presentation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How about you acquire some basic knowledge of the situation before posting about it.

I know quite a lot about it. Our 4 year metric was dreadful any way you cut it. Is is that much to ask to get close to a 50% grad rate? Really? Let's not act indignant and pretend that the NCAA didn't have just cause to pass some type of negative ruling because they probably did. But on the other hand, you have the blue blood programs doing God knows what and very little is ever done to them in terms of punishment. UCONN was scapegoated but wasn't exactly innocent for not being to maintain minimal academic standards.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Per the rules, UCONN did deserve some penalty for the APR standards not being maintained, but the outcome did not fit the crime. Apparently, UNC's academic irregularities weren't much of a concern to them. And that's really at the heart of the matter. Selective enforcement.
New member... much to learn. Look up 'upstater's many posts explaining the whole APR. #1, it is an oxymoron having zero to do with academic performance... you only get a present or absent. #2, we WERE punished for it by loss of scholarships. Then we had the nerve to win an NC while down scholarships. For that, the NCAA decided to RETROACTIVELY punish us again, for the same thing, but this time with a ban from the tournament. I'm a little leery of what they will attempt next after we showed them up once more... winning another NC missing a few former teammates that bailed rather than suffer a punishment for something they had no part of. I'll always remember Bazz, TO, and Niels for gutting it out. RB and DD too. Kevin should get extra rings made for RJ Evans and Wolfe too. Anyone that played last year earned one.

Reaction Score
I know quite a lot about it. Our 4 year metric was dreadful any way you cut it. Is is that much to ask to get close to a 50% grad rate? Really? Let's not act indignant and pretend that the NCAA didn't have just cause to pass some type of negative ruling because they probably did. But on the other hand, you have the blue blood programs doing God knows what and very little is ever done to them in terms of punishment. UCONN was scapegoated but wasn't exactly innocent for not being to maintain minimal academic standards.
So you'd penalize UConn because Andre Drummond and Jeremy Lamb left for the NBA? And the others before that? What are you... anti-American?

Reaction Score

The rules draw an arbitrary line that doesnt even pretend to have any real connection with a real education. Please refer to the UNC situation. They lied about grades, but their APR is just peachy.

Reaction Score
So you'd penalize UConn because Andre Drummond and Jeremy Lamb left for the NBA? And the others before that? What are you... anti-American?

That is the criteria that was set forth. I didn't make up the rules. How did the other 345 teams maintain compliance to that standard? And yes I know there are plenty of shenanigans going on in certain high-profile programs, but that's besides the point.

Reaction Score
The rules draw an arbitrary line that doesnt even pretend to have any real connection with a real education. Please refer to the UNC situation. They lied about grades, but their APR is just peachy.

That's exactly what I brought up earlier.

Reaction Score
New member... much to learn. Look up 'upstater's many posts explaining the whole APR. #1, it is an oxymoron having zero to do with academic performance... you only get a present or absent. #2, we WERE punished for it by loss of scholarships. Then we had the nerve to win an NC while down scholarships. For that, the NCAA decided to RETROACTIVELY punish us again, for the same thing, but this time with a ban from the tournament. I'm a little leery of what they will attempt next after we showed them up once more... winning another NC missing a few former teammates that bailed rather than suffer a punishment for something they had no part of. I'll always remember Bazz, TO, and Niels for gutting it out. RB and DD too. Kevin should get extra rings made for RJ Evans and Wolfe too. Anyone that played last year earned one.

BTW I agree that most of the players are innocent parties in all this, when you factor in the 2007-2011 time period.

Reaction Score
BTW I agree that most of the players are innocent parties in all this, when you factor in the 2007-2011 time period.
Um, no. All of the players on both this year's team and last year's were not responsible whatsoever.

As already stated, the NCAA , after already penalizing us by taking away scholarships, then set an arbitrary threshold just above UConn's 2 and 4 year averages, kicking us to the curb.

Add to that the fact that they allowed other programs to be eligible for the tourney even though they were below the threshold because they had demonstrated progress the prior two years. Similarly, UConn had shown improvement, their worst APR numbers I believe were the middle years, and would not take into account the prior year, which would have easily eclipsed the 2 year threshold.

Emmett didn't care that none of the players on the 2012 team were responsible for the poor APR numbers and wanted to make a statement at UConn's expense.

Nothing made me happier than to see that a-wipe have to hand over two national championship trophies to UConn the past two days.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Per the rules, UCONN did deserve some penalty for the APR standards not being maintained, but the outcome did not fit the crime. Apparently, UNC's academic irregularities weren't much of a concern to them. And that's really at the heart of the matter. Selective enforcement.

"per the rules", we lost scholarships and paid the price

then the NCAA changed the rules, applied them retroactively and punished programs with a post season ban. When they made that rule change and applied it retroactively, they already knew who would be impacted.

we were punished twice for the same violation

and "per the rules", APR scores are self-reported. I can only surmise not everyone reported them accurately

and a school like UNC admits academic fraud, educators and administrators lose their jobs, yet the NCAA does nothing because "per the rules" their APR scores were acceptable.

the APR is a pile a to begin with (I'm guessing you may not know what it actually represents) , and how it was used intentionally to hurt our school is a crime

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
and the reason why none of the kids were on the current team is because they quit the program and transferred

all kids that remained with UConn did not have academic issues

Reaction Score
Um, no. All of the players on both this year's team and last year's were not responsible whatsoever.

As already stated, the NCAA , after already penalizing us by taking away scholarships, then set an arbitrary threshold just above UConn's 2 and 4 year averages, kicking us to the curb.

Add to that the fact that they allowed other programs to be eligible for the tourney even though they were below the threshold because they had demonstrated progress the prior two years. Similarly, UConn had shown improvement, their worst APR numbers I believe were the middle years, and would not take into account the prior year, which would have easily eclipsed the 2 year threshold.

Emmett didn't care that none of the players on the 2012 team were responsible for the poor APR numbers and wanted to make a statement at UConn's expense.

Nothing made me happier than to see that a-wipe have to hand over two national championship trophies to UConn the past two days.

DM comes up with the best and most succinct (!) summary of the issue I've seen. Well done.

Reaction Score
What an absolute joke... and Kentucky has a bunch of players who show up for a semester then drop out to play in the league how in the world have they not had some sort of APR issue... makes 0 sense.

Because they take all 'gut' 100 level classes. Art History, Movies and TV 101, Yoga 101...12 credits show up for class a few times, write a paper (that the academic tutors review and help update) and walllaaaa....

Reaction Score
That is the criteria that was set forth. I didn't make up the rules. How did the other 345 teams maintain compliance to that standard? And yes I know there are plenty of shenanigans going on in certain high-profile programs, but that's besides the point.

How is that beside the point? UCONN played it straight and got punished for it. You don't know as much as you think you do!

Reaction Score

Agreed. UNC is treated like royalty - that is, "hands off". UConn? Well they tried to cripple the program, but "swing and a miss".

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Hey! As ripper32 points out, rules are rules, as long as they are uniformly applied. And while such fine institutions as Kentucky have found ways to work around whatever rules the NCAA applies, at least those sleazebag basketball factories at Harvard and Cal Tech got hit like we did.

Reaction Score
that is ok that Emmert wasn't so happy with the outcome because he got totally Shabazzzzzzed after. that was a priceless speech that Bazz threw at him to the media. The NCAA drags its pathetic feet and Shabazz and crew suffer the consequences. i only wished he would have slammed him a little more in that speech.

Reaction Score

No, that's not beside the point. UCONN's main problem is that they were honest about their APR and have high standards as the schools set the standard for their APR (which is about retention of the product, aka players, not academics). So that was not the criteria set forth as it was a new rule applied to the past by vindictive former UCONN employees who were forced out because of their own incompetence.Also, there were close to a dozen other teams that didn't meet the retroactive requirement, but since the retroactive rule was directed at UCONN, we don't hear much about them.
So, every point of your argument is misinformed. Therefore, I have to wonder if you're a sore loser from one of the many teams we beat who came here to try to stir something up. Nice try, but sorry, we're UCONN. Like our Dean's List team leader Shabazz, we're positive and productive. We take the stairs instead of the elevator as we get the facts before we comment. We don't chase championships, championships chase us. King Kong ain't got nothing on...
Okay, got a little carried away. We're UCONN, we just win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom