Emmert and MSU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Emmert and MSU

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Business Lawyer or one of our other legal eagles, if he is indeed found complicit in a massive cover up what could that mean legally beyond job loss?

Did you read the article? There’s no cover up.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Did you read the article? There’s no cover up.

There is no coverup and certainly nothing criminal related to Emmert.

Michigan State makes Penn State look like a jaywalking violation.

The NCAA is failing everyone it is theoretically designed to protect.

The mob wants blood and the NCAA may become one of the institutions in the crosshairs.

Reaction Score
He's been a sleeze at every stop he's made in his career. The fact that people continue to hire this guy in prominent positions is incredible. But, he's like a cockroach. He'll survive this because it seems like the sleeze bags always win. He's one of those guys that you keep wanting to get his due, but he keeps slipping away and reappearing somewhere else.

Reaction Score
He's been a sleeze at every stop he's made in his career. The fact that people continue to hire this guy in prominent positions is incredible. But, he's like a cockroach. He'll survive this because it seems like the sleeze bags always win. He's one of those guys that you keep wanting to get his due, but he keeps slipping away and reappearing somewhere else.
Not forever. No one escapes Karma for forever

Reaction Score

Maybe he won't survive if the media goes after him hard enough. Though the NCAA has been hated on for as long as I remember so maybe this wouldn't even phase them.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
There is no coverup and certainly nothing criminal related to Emmert.

Michigan State makes Penn State look like a jaywalking violation.

The NCAA is failing everyone it is theoretically designed to protect.

The mob wants blood and the NCAA may become one of the institutions in the crosshairs.

Not sure anything makes Penn State look like a jaywalking violation except for the Holocaust. Covering up decades of kiddie-diddling takes the cake.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Emmert will only get deposed if the court of public opinion rises up and makes continuing in his position untenable from a public relations point of view. He certainly seems to fit the profile of a serial sexual assault enabler throughout his career. In the present climate that's not going to go well for him.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not sure anything makes Penn State look like a jaywalking violation except for the Holocaust. Covering up decades of kiddie-diddling takes the cake.

Um... You haven’t heard of Larry Nassar yet?

Reaction Score
What do you think Nassar was doing for nearly 20 years? Jesus

Then add in the football team, the basketball team, and sprinkle harassment within the AD itself on top

Reaction Score
Emmert will only get deposed if the court of public opinion rises up and makes continuing in his position untenable from a public relations point of view. He certainly seems to fit the profile of a serial sexual assault enabler throughout his career. In the present climate that's not going to go well for him.
Not for nothing. But he may be regretting letting ol condalezza in the circle. Despite her role. She is still more powerful than anyone in the NCAA establishment at this moment. Yikes.

Reaction Score
So the MSU AD just resigned for having as far as we know the same level of knowledge as Emmert. @Fishy is right that he didn't necessarily cover up or even specifically enable, but he didn't disable. The climate is hot. We'll see how hot it gets and how hot the Board of Governors feel... they were specifically called out in this, so that may help if they scape goat him.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Couldn't happen to a bigger jerk and is well deserved. I agree with Fishy I don't think anything happens, but this will hurt his reputation. Of course, we've already known he was is a jackwagon

Reaction Score
Couldn't happen to a bigger jerk and is well deserved. I agree with Fishy I don't think anything happens, but this will hurt his reputation. Of course, we've already known he was is a jackwagon
Forget all his previously known transgressions.

Just this Nassar thing alone makes him a POS at baseline.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Um... You haven’t heard of Larry Nassar yet?

I thought you were referring to the stuff in the article.

I think of Nassar as more a Gymnastics Association thing rather than an MSU thing but we'll see if the MSU cover-up rises to the level of the PSU one. Looks terrible, based on what I've read.

Obviously Nassar's crimes are incomprehensible. Poor choice of words on my part. But I guess I objected to the characterization of the PSU scandal looking like jaywalking. Which I think was also a poor choice of words. JoePa was told Sandusky was sodo mizing a kid.

It's all terrible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Forget all his previously known transgressions.

Just this Nassar thing alone makes him a POS at baseline.

For the record, this Emmert situation has nothing to do with Nassar, but to the 37+ sexual assault allegations filed against MSU football and basketball players during the early 2000's which were swept under the rug or improperly investigated and then brought to newly hired Emmert who found himself powerless (intentionally or not) to help. Presumably Nassar thrived in that same climate, but has no direct link to Emmert.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I thought you were referring to the stuff in the article.

I think of Nassar as more a Gymnastics Association thing rather than an MSU thing but we'll see if the MSU cover-up rises to the level of the PSU one. Looks terrible, based on what I've read.

Obviously Nassar's crimes are incomprehensible. Poor choice of words on my part. But I guess I objected to the characterization of the PSU scandal looking like jaywalking. Which I think was also a poor choice of words. JoePa was told Sandusky was sodo mizing a kid.

It's all terrible.

The President and AD of MSU didn’t resign because of the football and basketball adult rapes. Which btw is insane.

You are right jaywalking was a poor analogy. What happened at PSU shouldn’t be minimized even if the next scandal is bigger and broader.

The depth and bredth of crimes and coverup at MSU are shocking even after what we saw at PSU.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The President and AD of MSU didn’t resign because of the football and basketball adult rapes. Which btw is insane.

You are right jaywalking was a poor analogy. What happened at PSU shouldn’t be minimized even if the next scandal is bigger and broader.

The depth and bredth of crimes and coverup at MSU are shocking even after what we saw at PSU.

1) The biggest issue at Michigan State is that they were a) unbelievably slow and ineffective in looking into Nasser and b) negligent in reporting Title IX issues to the feds even when the feds were actually on campus to review such things. MSU still has not provided a complete report on Nasser to the federal government. What do you say about an organization that hid Title IX reports and was more worried about liability instead of stopping a pedophile when they had the chance in 2014? A dozen girls were assaulted after that cover up.

2) The football program had multiple incident reports; I think a total of eight in about ten years. A few of them looked like he said/she said, several others were more serious. In the two where charges were filed, the players were dismissed and expelled. In the cases where they were’t, the players weren’t dismissed. I don’t know what you do here if you’re Michigan State.

3) Izzo’s assistant coach. He had two incidents; in the first, he punched a girl at a bar and that case was ultimately, and bizarrely, pled down to a littering charge. The woman who was assaulted said that prosecutors told her not to discuss it with Michigan State, so she didn’t. That doesn’t make sense, but whatever happened, Michigan State wasn’t notified. So he wasn’t fired...until the next month when he was implicated by the parents of a girl who said that he and two players had raped their daughter. For some reason, they took their case to the athletic director instead of the police. End result....assistant coach got fired, players remained. The players are not named.

3B) Appling and Payne apparently assault a girl before the start of the semester. Payne all but admits it on camera. Somehow, someway, the two are not charged and I don’t think they were even punished by the team. Even though no charges are filed, you have one player admitting on camera that something happened.

The president had to go. The athletic director had to go. Compliance, the Title IX office, staffers, anyone who had anything to do with 2014 have to go. The football coach...given 85 players on a roster, I don’t think the report read like a program out of control. But Izzo...he’s skating by here. There are two serious open items there and no explanation was offered at his presser tonight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom