Emeka Okafor? | The Boneyard

Emeka Okafor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is He done with Playing in the NBA? If so Lets get the Big man back to UCONN to help with the Big's

Reaction Score
I read somewhere last year that he was going to make his comeback toward the end of last season... at this point I think he's been out of the game too long to play in the league. Would love to see him come back to Storrs in any capacity.

Reaction Score
Is He done with Playing in the NBA? If so Lets get the Big man back to UCONN to help with the Big's
Would be pleased to see him on KO's staff. But, there are restrictions on how many asst coaches a team can have. We are there already.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I read somewhere last year that he was going to make his comeback toward the end of last season... at this point I think he's been out of the game too long to play in the league. Would love to see him come back to Storrs in any capacity.

In January, it was reported that he was going to delay his comeback until this season, but I haven't heard a peep. I saw him on the street here in NYC during last season and he looked to be in shape.

On the one hand, he'd be rusty. But on the other, if his neck is OK, he'll be pretty healthy and might benefit from taking a couple years off. No blue glasses -- he could play in the NBA right now and rebound and defend at an above-average level.

I did some internet sleuthing, and according to a Reddit user:

After his back injury, he had to reinvent his game so that it revolved around straight post ups with little to no athletic ability required. He then realized that he could play another 15 years in the league with his new playing style so he got plastic surgery and reenrolled back in high school to re-up his stock. But of course he had to change his name so people wouldn't find out so he chose jahlil but kept the last name cause okafor sounds like choke a whore which is just straight badass

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/3hcd5z/what_has_emeka_okafor_been_up_to/

Hmm, now that I read that again, I think that might be made up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good big men are always in demand in the NBA and EO is a dependable double-double machine and good defender.

But is he in shape? Does he even want to return? Haven't heard a thing.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
He's earned about $90 million, is a really smart dude, so if he doesnt want to come back he'll be just fine. At 33 and not having played for 2 full seasons, struggling with injuries, it may be the time for him to hang em up.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Just because someone was a successful player doesn't automatically make them a successful coach. We don't know how his skills would translate to teaching younger players. Love Emeka and want to see him involved with the program in some capacity, but we shouldn't hire him as a coach only because he played well for us and in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Just because someone was a successful player doesn't automatically make them a successful coach. We don't know how his skills would translate to teaching younger players. Love Emeka and want to see him involved with the program in some capacity, but we shouldn't hire him as a coach only because he played well for us and in the NBA.
Boy, you write some backwards stuff. The players that make the best coaches share a few traits. First, they are intelligent. Check. Second, the played under or coached under a great coach at some point. Check. Third, most great coaches were not super gifted and had to work hard to overcome adversity. Check. And before you have a meltdown over that last point, Emeka was talented but wasn't exactly Kevin Garnett coming out of high school.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Boy, you write some backwards stuff. The players that make the best coaches share a few traits. First, they are intelligent. Check. Second, the played under or coached under a great coach at some point. Check. Third, most great coaches were not super gifted and had to work hard to overcome adversity. Check. And before you have a meltdown over that last point, Emeka was talented but wasn't exactly Kevin Garnett coming out of high school.

I think your post is the backwards one here. Intelligence, familiarity with great coaches, and work ethic are parts of what make up a good coach. But you're missing something huge: people skills. The smartest, hardest-working guy in the book will be a terrible coach if he can't effectively impart what he's teaching his players. Is this guy personable? Can he interact effectively with college-aged kids? Does he run drills/deliver lessons using language and tone that allow players to connect with his message and get the most out of it? Will he be able to command respect because of what he says and does as a coach, not just his status as a successful player? How is he as a motivator - does he bring intensity without being too harsh for his message to be lost?

Granted, Emeka might be the most personable teacher on the planet. But none of us (besides Chief) can confirm whether not he has what it takes to coach collegiate basketball players for sure. (aside: if someone here had him as a camp counselor at one point, I'll bite my tongue.)

You may think this is dumb new-age bunk, and that none of it mattered back in your day, but this is the reality of the basketball world today.

Reaction Score

If healthy he definitely could still play today. He was always a good athlete and could dominate the college game with back to basket offense. Unfortunately it didn't translate with the better athletes at the Pro level. His offensive game was always a little too mechanical but was definitely a good enough athlete that could have competed for many more years if healthy. Great defensive player even at the Pro level as well as rebounder.

Reaction Score
Paesano said:

Do you have any reason whatsoever to suspect that Emeka has any interest at all in coaching? Maybe he and Ray can be grad assistants together.

Reaction Score
When Emeka graduated from UConn I was very confident about 2 things:
1. He would continue to over-achieve in the Pro's - he was a winner.
Arguably I was wrong, most reasonable people would agree that injuries played the biggest factor in Emeka's NBA career. Good career no doubt, but not the 'Oh my G__ Emeka' level that we saw at UConn.
2. Whatever Emeka did after basketball would be even more impressive than his already impressive basketball achievements.
- I think he has higher aspirations than coaching. Not sure where or what but I still believe great things are to come for him

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I had visions of Emeka becoming an ambassador or something where he could utilize his intelligence and semi-celebrity to make a bigger difference. I remember some work he did in supporting African health (something related to HIV testing kits or something similar). I would be very interested to hear what he is doing these days (in a curious, non-stalking sort of way).

Reaction Score
I think your post is the backwards one here. Intelligence, familiarity with great coaches, and work ethic are parts of what make up a good coach. But you're missing something huge: people skills. The smartest, hardest-working guy in the book will be a terrible coach if he can't effectively impart what he's teaching his players. Is this guy personable? Can he interact effectively with college-aged kids? Does he run drills/deliver lessons using language and tone that allow players to connect with his message and get the most out of it? Will he be able to command respect because of what he says and does as a coach, not just his status as a successful player? How is he as a motivator - does he bring intensity without being too harsh for his message to be lost?

Granted, Emeka might be the most personable teacher on the planet. But none of us (besides Chief) can confirm whether not he has what it takes to coach collegiate basketball players for sure. (aside: if someone here had him as a camp counselor at one point, I'll bite my tongue.)

You may think this is dumb new-age bunk, and that none of it mattered back in your day, but this is the reality of the basketball world today.
you nailed it. Playing and coaching are different gigs.

Reaction Score

This board should have a bot that posts this every time someone insists we add a former great player to our coaching staff.

Reaction Score

You make some very good points, there are many aspects to being a really good coach. As a sports writer covering the team during Emeka's time at UConn I got to know him fairly well. I don't personally see him being a coach for many reasons. I don't want to look like I'm coming across negative at all (I really liked Emeka) so I won't go into details. He was a nice guy, hard worker, terrific player and teammate, and a great student. I just don't see him coaching. I don't really see him having an interest in coaching either. I could be totally wrong, but that's my take based on my observations, conversations, and relationship with him. Granted, I'm no Chief :)

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree generally, but Emeka is a bright guy. I'm confident that he'd figure it out.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Agree generally, but Emeka is a bright guy. I'm confident that he'd figure it out.

Intelligence and personal skills don't always go hand in hand, there are a myriad of examples of that dynamic. Not to say that Emeka isn't a great, personable dude in addition to being incredibly smart. But it's really tough to just pick those skills up using one's own intelligence (I could argue that my entire childhood/adolescence was living proof of that...).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Intelligence and personal skills don't always go hand in hand, there are a myriad of examples of that dynamic. Not to say that Emeka isn't a great, personable dude in addition to being incredibly smart. But it's really tough to just pick those skills up using one's own intelligence (I could argue that my entire childhood/adolescence was living proof of that...).
We agree. I just think betting against Emeka in anything he chooses to do is a losing bet,

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
We agree. I just think betting against Emeka in anything he chooses to do is a losing bet,

I know. But regardless of whether it's someone exceptional like Emeka or someone who's an ordinary Joe by comparison, it's foolish to make the assumption.

Besides, as it's been said earlier, this discussion is all predicated on Emeka wanting to become a collegiate assistant coach rather than something bigger...

Reaction Score

This times a million for the millionth time. Purest proof you'd ever need is that Ted Williams may have been the greatest hitter in history. And by all accounts, he was a piss poor coach/manager. Just b/c someone was a good player does not equate that they will be (or want to be) a good coach. There's a reason a lot of baseball managers/basketball coaches were backup catchers or bit players even if they "made" it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom