Elmore and Patrick | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Elmore and Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
These dummies would rather talk about Len's inability to retain the French he learned 50 years ago than the game. Seriously, that conversation went on for like an entire minute.
During a pretty crucial stretch of the game, too.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
There was that one play in the second half where the Ref made a call that looked suspicious and replay showed the Ref was clearly wrong. And Elmore doubled down on his original assessment that was also wrong. Even after the replay gave him a chance to recover.
That would have been the travel on their big. Len ket saying that "...if he had put that foot down before he got rid of the ball, it would have been a travel." Lenny boy, he had already taken three steps, putting that foot down would have made it four.

Reaction Score
Thank The Lord Cinci game on espn2. I watched part of the second half on mute. Every shot Hamilton took at the very end of the shot clock with no options was a bad shot by him according to Len. Forget about the other 27 seconds of poor execution. Good effort for that analysis.

Reaction Score
I think it's great and makes for some fun post game fodder. Was Patrick being racist when he asked Elmore how many languages he speaks? "What you don't know 4 dialects of African too?"

Reaction Score
Every team's fans complain about almost every announcer. I'm grateful the game was on ESPN2 amd not CPTV.

Yeah, I used to hate Patrick when he was paired with Vitale but I think he's fine now. He gets props for saying DHam was going to nail those last 2 free throws too, cause he was a lot surer than I was. Elmore has been up and down over the years, but he loves him some Brimah, we can work with that.

Reaction Score
I think it's great and makes for some fun post game fodder. Was Patrick being racist when he asked Elmore how many languages he speaks? "What you don't know 4 dialects of African too?"

Basketball aside, Len's a very bright guy.

Reaction Score
Elmore is actually a professor and a lawyer outside of broadcasting. I just never liked him because it seemed like he was always very hard on UConn over the years, other people I have talked to said the same thing.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
These dummies would rather talk about Len's inability to retain the French he learned 50 years ago than the game. Seriously, that conversation went on for like an entire minute.

"Comment ca va?"
"Not well."

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I don't think this board has met a set of announcers or referees that we have approved. Everyone must be out to get us

Not true. Dickey "Hot Like Fire" Simpkins was a crowd favorite.

Also, people liked the job Steve Smith did recently.

But as to your general point, yes, people are pretty harsh.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Like @MattMang23 said there doesn't appear to be anything malicious going on, their abilities have just slipped. Patrick ought to be set out to pasture and Elmore is much better as part of a three-man team where he can just interject with a salient point every now and then. You know, instead of the dozens of missed and incorrectly attributed calls (or flat out getting names wrong).

Calling out Adams for fighting through a screen when the foul was for a trip (which was actually caused by a screen from behind) was a gem, too.

Reaction Score
Not true. Dickey "Hot Like Fire" Simpkins was a crowd favorite.

Also, people liked the job Steve Smith did recently.

But as to your general point, yes, people are pretty harsh.
We always liked Jay Bilas, he repeatedly gave us props. Raff has long been a favorite in calling our games, was Rashad Anderson the guy he coined onions on?

Long live Dickey Simpkins!

Reaction Score
Elmore is actually a professor and a lawyer outside of broadcasting. I just never liked him because it seemed like he was always very hard on UConn over the years, other people I have talked to said the same thing.

I don't like Elmore because it drives me bonkers when they replay a bad call, and Len twists himself into a knot to pretend that the video doesn't clearly dispute the call. Also, he's just generally a lazy, banal broadcaster with nothing interesting to say. The "Elmore Index" is the shoddiest piece of crap I've ever seen. It looks like he spent about 2 minutes thinking about that before farting it out on TV. The only thing you can count on from Elmore is that he's going to say the most obvious, cliche line of crap in every situation. Every missed shot is the result of bad shot selection. He needs to start doing his job, or quit.

Reaction Score
^^^^^^this. you'd think a professor and a laywer would understand by now after watching thousands of games that every miss wasn't 'bad selection, poor shot, no patience' and every make wasn't a 'great look'. he does this crap the entire game.

Reaction Score
I noticed in the post game interview, which Ollie gave sitting with Elmore and Patrick, that they don't have a third person in the crew for on court interviews anymore. Is this the American conference being slighted or a new trend?

Also, at the end of the interview, KO said to them "we'll see you guys again soon!" revealing to me how frequently we have Elmore and Patrick as our game crew. This got me thinking... these guys are older commentators, likely near the end of their run, do they live in CT at this point and just demand to not travel far for games? They might just be our official crew because they want to call games in the state of CT, and that's why we're stuck with them

and as bad as Elmore has gotten, where now I am almost certain I'll be swearing at him thru the TV during the game at some point, I'd rather have them than say Tim Welsh and some other schmo who I don't know

Reaction Score
After Jalen got finished making 3/3 free throws, one of them said something along the lines of "Adams goes a perfect 2 for 2 from the line." Hard to believe that these guys are that clueless, but they are.

Reaction Score
It killed me when Jalen missed an open three from the corner and Elmore said, to paraphrase, "Good defense by SMU, sure UConn got an open look but it was by a 19 percent three point shooter, so thats what they wanted." Like SMU planned to let him shoot a wide open three.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
You guys are the biggest whiners on earth. About 80% of the conversation was on UCONN last night and it was huge for us nationally, being on ESPN2 in primetime. I don't care what Patrick was talking about, he has a good presence in the booth and touted us as a tournament team. End of story.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You guys are the biggest whiners on earth. About 80% of the conversation was on UCONN last night and it was huge for us nationally, being on ESPN2 in primetime. I don't care what Patrick was talking about, he has a good presence in the booth and touted us as a tournament team. End of story.

Just a few years ago, we were watching Big Monday games against ranked opponents almost weekly with McDonough, Bilas, and Raftery on the call. This is torture.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I don't think this board has met a set of announcers or referees that we have approved. Everyone must be out to get us
True about refs. Not true about announcers.
Bilas, McDonough, Shulman, Gus Johnson, Onions. And Dicky V is an icon that you can't hate on.
We just yearn for better days.

Reaction Score
True about refs. Not true about announcers.
Bilas, McDonough, Shulman, Gus Johnson, Onions. And Dicky V is an icon that you can't hate on.
We just yearn for better days.
People on here hate on Bilas and Dicky V all the time

Reaction Score
Hmm, no. He's one of the most incompetent play-by-play guys out there.

Reaction Score
I noticed in the post game interview, which Ollie gave sitting with Elmore and Patrick, that they don't have a third person in the crew for on court interviews anymore. Is this the American conference being slighted or a new trend?

Also, at the end of the interview, KO said to them "we'll see you guys again soon!" revealing to me how frequently we have Elmore and Patrick as our game crew. This got me thinking... these guys are older commentators, likely near the end of their run, do they live in CT at this point and just demand to not travel far for games? They might just be our official crew because they want to call games in the state of CT, and that's why we're stuck with them

and as bad as Elmore has gotten, where now I am almost certain I'll be swearing at him thru the TV during the game at some point, I'd rather have them than say Tim Welsh and some other schmo who I don't know
Im actually not a Tim Welsh hater like a lot of people here. I didnt like him when he was a coach, but I just get the feeling that he has gained a lot of respect for the UConn program as a whole ever since he became a broadcaster. SNY has obviously done a lot of our games over the last 5 years with him being the main analyst for them so he has spent a lot of time around the team and coaching staff.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
People on here hate on Bilas and Dicky V all the time
Well those people can shove it. Bilas provides great insight and Dicky V just has pure passion for good college basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom