Elgin Baylor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Elgin Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OT-----saw Baylor score about 63 in Boston Garden, great great player!!!!! Heard the Seattle story way back when.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So Elgin had 22 years of futility as a GM. How long has MJ been at it? MJ likes records, this might be an achievable one!

The comparison gets made more and more each year. There's even a tit for tat on busted draft picks.

Benoit Benjamin=Kwame Brown type comparisons become easier to do with each bad draft by Jordan.

Reaction Score
Its been said that Baylor was paid approx. $250k for that position while his peers were being paid at least a million more. That arrangement alone is a setup for failure. No Baylor was not the worst GM, his performance matched his pay.

Sounds to me like his pay perfectly matched his performance! How is getting underpaid a setup for failure. Had he been good at his job he would have a. been paid more by Clips or b. had the chance to work elsewhere for more money

Money follows results..

Reaction Score
I dont know how Sterling treated him, but he did give him 22 years.

He also had Paul Silas & Don Cheany as his head coaches, not sure how many NBA organizations had a black GM and a black head coach in the early/mid 80's.

The hilarious part about Baylor is that apparently Sterling had no idea that he was a former player when he hired him as GM.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sounds to me like his pay perfectly matched his performance! How is getting underpaid a setup for failure. Had he been good at his job he would have a. been paid more by Clips or b. had the chance to work elsewhere for more money

Money follows results..

Keep in mind that Baylor's low pay was in-line with everything about how Sterling ran the Clippers. They were basically the Miami Marlins of the NBA. Never paid to keep talent, cut corners everywhere throughout the organization.

No doubt that Elgin was bad at his job. But Sterling wasn't going to pay anyone the going rate for a good NBA GM. He'd rather have a crappy one on the cheap than pay for talent that produced.

Reaction Score
I don't think you quite understand the impact of systematic racism and the effects that it has, which Sterling employed through his housing discrimination practices...and to be honest, based on your posting I really don't expect you to. There's really nothing to discuss here between you and I.

I know plenty here ace and although you think you're brilliant you are far from it…….funny how opinion makes people believe they have the only answer.

And I could care less about how much there is to discuss between you and I because quite honestly if you don't think Al Sharpton isn't Sterlings equal then you aren't worth a second of my time! Systematic racism by Sterling or just obvious racism that is Sharpton - either way no one wins!! So you tell me who Al Sharpton is then you're so freakin educated? Again no idea how Mr Sharpton got in this whole story but since we're looking back at racism, 2 peas in a pod!

Reaction Score

Money follows results..
You clearly have no idea how Sterling operated the Clippers, there was no way for Baylor to be successful. The guy wouldn't pay people on time, he sabotaged the hiring of coaches, he wanted his coach to also be his trainer etc. You should read about it and educate yourself.

Reaction Score
You clearly have no idea how Sterling operated the Clippers, there was no way for Baylor to be successful. The guy wouldn't pay people on time, he sabotaged the hiring of coaches, he wanted his coach to also be his trainer etc. You should read about it and educate yourself.

And you clearly know everything that happened inside the organization during his tenure because you were so close. Funny ……someone throws out an opinion and its ALL WRONG but you are so right.

Maybe Elgin Baylor was a proud man and if it was ALL bad he would have left well before his 22 years? Maybe he had no where else to go because no one else wanted him because he picked awful players and wasn't a very good GM? A combination of what you say and what NJHusky says is probably true but NO you have all of these answers not him!

This place has reared its ugly face after a fun run with the Huskies. Can we get back to fn normal……...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom