Elgin Baylor | The Boneyard

Elgin Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He may have been one of the top 10 players to ever play in the NBA. Dynamic all-around player
But he may go down as one of the worst GM's in sports history.
In 22 years, the Clippers only made the playoffs twice! Do you know hard that is?
Despite having high lottery picks almost every year, the Clippers were one of the worst frachises in sports.
It wasn't until the NBA "gave" Chris Paul to the Clippers, have they become relevent.
I dont know how Sterling treated him, but he did give him 22 years.

No, this is not a Sterling endorsement. Because, I have always thought of him and Bidwell (Arizona Cardinals) as the worst owners in sports, well before this show of ingnorance.

Reaction Score
I feel bad for Baylor, the day after he retired was when those 72 Lakers started their record winning streak and won a title, which would have been his first. Dude was snakebitten.

Reaction Score
Funny, Sterling was being considered by the local chapter of the NAACP for an award recently for all his donations to them.

Also great to see all the race pimps jumping on the Sterling incident.

What is a "race pimp"

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
What is a "race pimp"

sharpton8n-8-web.jpg

Reaction Score
He may have been one of the top 10 players to ever play in the NBA. Dynamic all-around player
But he may go down as one of the worst GM's in sports history.
In 22 years, the Clippers only made the playoffs twice! Do you know hard that is?
Despite having high lottery picks almost every year, the Clippers were one of the worst frachises in sports.
It wasn't until the NBA "gave" Chris Paul to the Clippers, have they become relevent.
I dont know how Sterling treated him, but he did give him 22 years.

No, this is not a Sterling endorsement. Because, I have always thought of him and Bidwell (Arizona Cardinals) as the worst owners in sports, well before this show of ingnorance.

You realize one of the main reasons was Sterling's unwillingness to spend money, right? He saw the Clippers as an investment and showpiece (as is his right). But he would never spend money on players. The deal he got when the Staples Center opened was beyond sweet, and the money has really flowed ever since. It was all Mr. Baylor's fault

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
For the younger set, decades ago there was a story circulating that Baylor, who was from Wash D.C. had a very good friend from home whom he wanted to play college ball with. The guy;s name was Eddie Martin, and his college - UConn. The problem was, the admissions office supposedly rejected EB. He wound up playing at Seattle U,. sort of the Gonzaga of it's day for a few years. True or not, he obviously didn't play in Storrs. He and the Big O were the tippety top of NBA talent.

Reaction Score
I went to the 1988 (or so ... my memory is getting along) Draft Party when the Clippers drafted Danny Manning (as I was living in downtown LA at the time). Saw Donald Sterling ... and thought that he was the most scumbag looking creep I'd ever saw. Never have changed my mind. He made dirty Dr Jerry Buss look like St. Francis ... but Buss was equally as snarky. Lots of folks like Sterling in LA.

Race? Misogyny? They simply have no freaking clue. There is a whole dark spot on the edge of Hollywood that maggots like this just exist in the shadows.

Reaction Score
many would say someone who uses the race card for their own personal agenda, advancement, self interest..you can judge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawana_Brawley_rape_allegations

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/ballot_box/2003/09/the_worst_of_al_sharpton.html
many would say someone who uses the race card for their own personal agenda, advancement, self interest..you can judge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawana_Brawley_rape_allegations

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/ballot_box/2003/09/the_worst_of_al_sharpton.html

Interesting.. I'm curious to know what Al Sharpton would gain personally from speaking out on Donald Sterling

Reaction Score
The boneyard's ability to focus on everyone and everything outside of the ONLY problem(in this case, Sterling) when it comes to race is amazing. First it was the players, then Baylor, now ya'll have moved onto to Sharpton. This site is like Wfan callers in messageboard form.

Reaction Score
The boneyard's ability to focus on everyone and everything outside of the ONLY problem(in this case, Sterling) when it comes to race is amazing. First it was the players, then Baylor, now ya'll have moved onto to Sharpton. This site is like Wfan callers in messageboard form.
It's so predictable but frightening none the less. Time to take a bit of a break from the boneyard.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I think Donald Sterling is the scum of the Earth so lets not get this twisted. I posted the picture of Sharpton only in response to someone asking what a "race pimp" is. If you can defend Al Sharpton on anything he stands for I'm all ears.

Reaction Score
Interesting.. I'm curious to know what Al Sharpton would gain personally from speaking out on Donald Sterling

ask OP B Vogel aka south tampa bill

I don't know to whom he was referring as "race pimps"...media, NCAA???

I was simply attempting to connect the dots for you...since you asked.

Not saying I agree with bill. In fact I don't. I don't see an obvious pimp here maybe I'm missing something. (well maybe the GF or the media outlet had some gain)

Nevertheless to further clarify (the definition of "race pimp") Sharpton certainly was first to mind of people portrayed this way...as it apparently was to the poster who linked the photo... hopefully no need to explain further Sharpton's visual transformation from freedom marches to Twana Brawley. (see photo)

Rightly or wrongly he (Sharpton) became the poster child for the the disingenuous.

In the broader sense there are those who will jump on wedge issues if only to prop themselves up as more credible, honorable and righteous.

This does not appear to be the case with Sterling who has a documented history of bigotry and arrogance.

The tape is the proverbial smoking gun. Without any room to spin and without denial this tape recording, assuming it's legit and not altered, reveals the essence of the man....who is a total scum bag and hypocrite.

Ethnocentrism is among the oldest and worst of man's creations concerning race, or religion, or any other off shoot in politics or nationalism, it's duck*ed up. haters gonna hate. love is the answer.

Reaction Score
Its been said that Baylor was paid approx. $250k for that position while his peers were being paid at least a million more. That arrangement alone is a setup for failure. No Baylor was not the worst GM, his performance matched his pay.

Reaction Score
The Clippers were horrible at drafting while Baylor was there. If you consistently mess up lottery picks you're going to have a tough time being a good franchise.

Reaction Score

I have no idea why or how Al Sharpton snuck into this but let's be honest here if at all……

Sharpton = Sterling!!!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Have you been living in a bubble? Read a little about Sharpton

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
A racist says racist crap and people bend over backwards to talk about black people exploiting it. Bill used the term "race pimp."

Gross.

Reaction Score
Where have you been? 'Race pimps' is in the lexicon for years. If you like, perhaps 'shakedown artist' sounds better?? As I said in another thread, keep watching the 'race card' story, and you'll miss the $$ flow.

Reaction Score
For the younger set, decades ago there was a story circulating that Baylor, who was from Wash D.C. had a very good friend from home whom he wanted to play college ball with. The guy;s name was Eddie Martin, and his college - UConn. The problem was, the admissions office supposedly rejected EB. He wound up playing at Seattle U,. sort of the Gonzaga of it's day for a few years. True or not, he obviously didn't play in Storrs. He and the Big O were the tippety top of NBA talent.

Oh please. Those decades ago you speak of put us in the late 1950's. Uconn and college basketball were not one and the same. Uconn was the "Yankee Conference", aka nothing conference, NOBODY'S. Was the admissions office a bit "racist"? maybe, maybe not. Uconn was not in the upper echelons of CBB, so taking a chance on a kid from DC really was not an issue. Why no one else on the east coast took a chance on Baylor is a mystery. At that time the powers that be in the east, i.e the St. Johns, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Holy Cross, PC, et. al. did not make a play. One can also consider that this was right about the time of the point shaving scandal, however it was never mentioned that he might have been involved in any of that. Let's not forget that there was no chance whatsoever of Baylor going to any southern schools like Carolina, Duke Florida, Texas etc. Even midwestern schools like Marquette, and such had racial issues. One more thing Uconn could not even keep in state kids at home, so the possibility of getting a name kid from outside the state was slim at best. If, and I am pretty sure that this is a fact, Elgin Baylor was a true talent in DC, I find it very difficult to imagine that Uconn had any chance of ever getting him to come to Storrs. Just making my opinion here.

Reaction Score
I have no idea why or how Al Sharpton snuck into this but let's be honest here if at all……

Sharpton = Sterling!!!

I don't think you quite understand the impact of systematic racism and the effects that it has, which Sterling employed through his housing discrimination practices...and to be honest, based on your posting I really don't expect you to. There's really nothing to discuss here between you and I.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Oh please. Those decades ago you speak of put us in the late 1950's. Uconn and college basketball were not one and the same. Uconn was the "Yankee Conference", aka nothing conference, NOBODY'S. Was the admissions office a bit "racist"? maybe, maybe not. Uconn was not in the upper echelons of CBB, so taking a chance on a kid from DC really was not an issue. Why no one else on the east coast took a chance on Baylor is a mystery. At that time the powers that be in the east, i.e the St. Johns, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Holy Cross, PC, et. al. did not make a play. One can also consider that this was right about the time of the point shaving scandal, however it was never mentioned that he might have been involved in any of that. Let's not forget that there was no chance whatsoever of Baylor going to any southern schools like Carolina, Duke Florida, Texas etc. Even midwestern schools like Marquette, and such had racial issues. One more thing Uconn could not even keep in state kids at home, so the possibility of getting a name kid from outside the state was slim at best. If, and I am pretty sure that this is a fact, Elgin Baylor was a true talent in DC, I find it very difficult to imagine that Uconn had any chance of ever getting him to come to Storrs. Just making my opinion here.

Oh please? Yeah, he went to traditional power Seattle. UConn had no chance at him, but Seattle did? The issue wasn't racist, it was grades, or maybe you don't understand that sort of thing. UConn already had African American players, including Baylor's pal Eddie Martin who was a center. They couldn't keep in-state kids home, so I guess they couldn't field a team. Same school that beat national power Holy Cross way back in the hoary 50s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom