2021 Recruiting: - El Ellis JUCO update | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: El Ellis JUCO update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agree with your conclusion in last paragraph.. If he sees himself as a one or two yr player before going to the League..The 3rd year of eligibility is not critical..
Apologies if I muddied the waters, I was genuinely trying to help, not argue.

Reaction Score
Apologies if I muddied the waters, I was genuinely trying to help, not argue.
You didn't.. All good.. Hope DH can reel him in.. Community College tuitions are not substantial financial commitments..But its all relative to unique family situations.. Guess the New Normal for talented players is getting paid.. Whether G League/Europe/NBA.. 4 years at school is less attractive.. Nuff said..

Reaction Score
I recall, from looking for info on JUCO eligibility and what's required of them before they can enroll and play at a D-1 level, that:
1. If a player is an academic qualifier, and chooses to go the JUCO route for some reason (underrecruited, etc), they can transfer to a 4 year college anytime and play immediately, even after one semester or one year as long as they're in good academic standing.
2. If the player is a non-qualifier academically, they must complete two years at the Junior College level before they can transfer and play. In fact, didn't Sam Cassell go to Junior College for two years but only played one and thus had two years' eligibility left at UConn?
But don't hold me to this being eggsactly right.

Reaction Score
I recall, from looking for info on JUCO eligibility and what's required of them before they can enroll and play at a D-1 level, that:
1. If a player is an academic qualifier, and chooses to go the JUCO route for some reason (underrecruited, etc), they can transfer to a 4 year college anytime and play immediately, even after one semester or one year as long as they're in good academic standing.
2. If the player is a non-qualifier academically, they must complete two years at the Junior College level before they can transfer and play. In fact, didn't Sam Cassell go to Junior College for two years but only played one and thus had two years' eligibility left at UConn?
But don't hold me to this being eggsactly right.
Thought Sam played one yr of JUCO.. 2 at Storrs.. Last yr at Iona..

Reaction Score
Thought Sam played one yr of JUCO.. 2 at Storrs.. Last yr at Iona..

He did exactly what people are asking if Ellis can do.

He did prep at Notre Dame Prep, 1 year JUCO, 3 years to play in 3 years remaining. NCAA ruled him a partial qualifier because his prep school had poor classes. He took 2 years to graduate JUCO, but only played basketball for 1 ('12-'13). Just did school '13-14. He started UConn '14-'15 and also played '15-'16. Then grad transferred to Iona for '16-'17.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know there are differing opinions about how much rankings matter, but do we know where Ellis ranks in terms of 2021 JUCO recruits? Cannot seem to find a legitimate list. Obviously, with the offers he's been getting, he is well thought of, but I was just curious more than anything.

Reaction Score
I know there are differing opinions about how much rankings matter, but do we know where Ellis ranks in terms of 2021 JUCO recruits? Cannot seem to find a legitimate list. Obviously, with the offers he's been getting, he is well thought of, but I was just curious more than anything.

JUCO lists usually don't get any traction until summer showcases... which may not happen.

With his offer list I'd be shocked if he wasn't top 5 at least

Reaction Score
JUCO lists usually don't get any traction until summer showcases... which may not happen.

With his offer list I'd be shocked if he wasn't top 5 at least
Exactly. One of our kids we knew well blew up at the summer showcase in Melbourne and had FSU and Gonzaga among others offer within 24 hours. Before that, he didn't start as frosh and wasn't well-known out of HS. He was athletic freak so that sped up his process.

Jucos don't get this kind of attention very often before these showcases where they face top competition. This is RARE. He is an ELITE JUCO player. Tallahassee is often a powerhouse team as well so that's in his favor of playing good competition.

Reaction Score
JUCOs rule of thumb

1) If full qualifier, can leave after 1 year.
2) If not, 2 years at juco.
Didn't know whether proposed transfer changes and/or the SAT/ACT leniency scenario would allow him(El) more flexibility as a qualifier... Perhaps his academic status coming out of HS re: qualifying trumps every scenario and he's just limited in options.. The attention he has attracted appears to be well deserved and it seems like he doesn't need to convince four year schools (by playing another JUCO season)that he could fill a roster spot.. Unless..as you've stated clearly..he can't as a non-qualifier.. Thanks for your input..

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Didn't know whether proposed transfer changes and/or the SAT/ACT leniency scenario would allow him(El) more flexibility as a qualifier... Perhaps his academic status coming out of HS re: qualifying trumps every scenario and he's just limited in options.. The attention he has attracted appears to be well deserved and it seems like he doesn't need to convince four year schools (by playing another JUCO season)that he could fill a roster spot.. Unless..as you've stated clearly..he can't as a non-qualifier.. Thanks for your input..
He’s stated in several interviews he was a non-qualifier. He has to do 2 years of JUCO that isnt changing.

Reaction Score
Anyone know anything about the kid as a hs recruit? I tried to do some digging but couldn't find much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom