2021 Recruiting: - El Ellis JUCO update | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: El Ellis JUCO update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We ll see lot of people here think gaff going to be a stud. Besides that amazing reverse layup he had and his pension for nailing free throws I was a little disappointed in his game given the amount of minutes he played this year. Hurley seems to see big things for him so obviously I’ll trust that but .....

pj

Reaction Score
We ll see lot of people here think gaff going to be a stud. Besides that amazing reverse layup he had and his pension for nailing free throws I was a little disappointed in his game given the amount of minutes he played this year. Hurley seems to see big things for him so obviously I’ll trust that but .....

When he played more, we won more. Sometimes it's hard to judge a point guard from afar. Hurley is better positioned.

Reaction Score
Serious question for Yarders and Insiders.. With all of the recruiting activity surrounding El in the last 60-90 days..And with some significant BB schools showing interest.. Let's assume that El needs to solidify his academic resume to satisfy Admission Dept somewhere.. Do you think El may consider bypassing playing this JUCO season so that he can concentrate on academics(in the fall semester) and enroll in January somewhere once his grades are satisfactory??He could also be solidifying his academics this summer in online summer classes.Not necessarily to play in 2020 season BTW.. It seems like "reading the tea leaves" that there is a tremendous amount of interest in a JUCO athlete before his second season has even started.. I know he's a great ball player..Think there's some smoke that would suggest he may be ready/or capable of moving on with a four yr college decision.Thereby not "burning" a year of athletic eligibility.. Don't know family's financial situation to absorb the cost of a semester's worth of classes..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Serious question for Yarders and Insiders.. With all of the recruiting activity surrounding El in the last 60-90 days..And with some significant BB schools showing interest.. Let's assume that El needs to solidify his academic resume to satisfy Admission Dept somewhere.. Do you think El may consider bypassing playing this JUCO season so that he can concentrate on academics(in the fall semester) and enroll in January somewhere once his grades are satisfactory??He could also be solidifying his academics this summer in online summer classes.Not necessarily to play in 2020 season BTW.. It seems like "reading the tea leaves" that there is a tremendous amount of interest in a JUCO athlete before his second season has even started.. I know he's a great ball player..Think there's some smoke that would suggest he may be ready/or capable of moving on with a four yr college decision.
Can't say I'm totally up to speed on El's academics or the JUCO transfer process, but we're full up on scholarships. So for him to enroll in January, he'd have to pay his own way. I guess doing that for 1 semester is more likely than for a full year but it still strikes me as highly unlikely. I bet it's more that he's looking to wrap up his recruitment sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
Can't say I'm totally up to speed on El's academics or the JUCO transfer process, but we're full up on scholarships. So for him to enroll in January, he'd have to pay his own way. I guess doing that for 1 semester is more likely than for a full year but it still strikes me as highly unlikely. I bet it's more that he's looking to wrap up his recruitment sooner rather than later.
He mentioned in the past he wanted to commit at the end of the summer after the JUCO showcases. Not sure if anything has changed the past 2 months now without real visits and (possibly?) no showcase

Reaction Score
Excellent typo. The word you were looking for is "penchant"
:D

Serious question for Yarders and Insiders.. Do you think El may consider bypassing playing this JUCO season so that he can concentrate on academics(in the fall semester) and enroll in January somewhere once his grades are satisfactory??
I doubt it. Let's be real, the academic requirements of a JuCo aren't particularly tough. We have no scholarships until next year, and he has to finish his academic requirements before enrolling or he isn't eligible.

He should commit to UConn, play JuCo this year, handle his business in the classroom, and then come in the following year to help bring us #5.

Reaction Score
Agree with you on playing in Storrs.. I understand we don't have a 2020 scholarship/spot for him.. My query was based on the possibility (not probability) that one of our competitors for El has a more flexible and creative Admissions Dept.. They may be able to find a way to not "burn" his third year of athletic eligibility while he's satisfying the academic piece..Ie..Allowing him to enroll as a student (only) before transitioning to being a scholarship athlete in a future semester or school year.. Would hate to see a DH target get scooped up..
I think he's only played one year of JuCo with a second on the way. If I understand you correctly, your concern doesn't really matter. Athletes get 5 years to play 4 years. JuCo included. When you transfer from JuCo there's no requirement to sit out, but you have to complete your academic requirements before enrolling, or you are academically ineligible anyway.

He's not likely to be eligible for D1 this year (but I don't know that for sure). Based on his recruitment and schedule, it really seems as if he needs to graduate from JuCo before he can transfer and be immediately eligible.

He can transfer to a school this year (and sit) or he can play JuCo, but either way he'll use a year of eligibility.

He's probably better of getting his Associates Degree at JuCo; that should make transferring and confirming eligibility much easier.

When he's done at JuCo next year, assuming he graduates as expected, he'll have 3 years left to play 2.

Whether he plays or whether he enrolls as a student (with no connection to the basketball team) somewhere besides JuCo, he's going to use a year of eligibility this year. He's a registered student-athlete, he's gone/gong through the clearinghouse, he's not going to be able to just enroll at another school and not have it count against his eligibility regardless of how creative the school's admissions department is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think he's only played one year of JuCo with a second on the way. If I understand you correctly, your concern doesn't really matter. Athletes get 5 years to play 4 years. JuCo included. When you transfer from JuCo there's no requirement to sit out, but you have to complete your academic requirements before enrolling, or you are academically ineligible anyway.

He's not likely to be eligible for D1 this year (but I don't know that for sure). Based on his recruitment and schedule, it really seems as if he needs to graduate from JuCo before he can transfer and be immediately eligible.

He can transfer to a school this year (and sit) or he can play JuCo, but either way he'll use a year of eligibility.

He's probably better of getting his Associates Degree at JuCo; that should make transferring and confirming eligibility much easier.

When he's done at JuCo next year, assuming he graduates as expected, he'll have 3 years left to play 2.
But his scenario is he'd enroll at a school without playing JuCo this year and thus he'd have 3 years to play 3

Reaction Score
But his scenario is he'd enroll at a school without playing JuCo this year and thus he'd have 3 years to play 3
If DH really likes him..And it appears he does.. It would be awesome to get 3 years of athletic eligibility out of him in Storrs.. Unless DH has a roster construction scenario where he wouldn't want El for three years.. I agree that based on what we know.. 2020 is not an option because of our roster/scholarship construction.. I find it very interesting that 19 other schools are also interested in El and things seem to be heating up.. It would be great to get El committed for 2021 and on campus as a student sometime in 2020 without using Year 3..

Reaction Score
But he wouldn't be academically eligible, and the clock doesn't stop.

He has 4 years left to play 3 right now.

I'm not an expert on this, but JuCo transfers have to complete their academic requirements before enrolling. I don't know what the NCAA is requiring of him. Whatever it is, has to be done before enrolling in his new school.

Because he is planning to play a second year at JuCo (despite having 20+ offers at D1) I think we can assume the NCAA is requiring him to finish JuCo in order to deem him eligible, but only he and the NCAA knows.

Could he get a scholarship (or pay his way at UConn) and transfer? Yes.
Would he be eligible? Highly unlikely.

If he goes transfers this year, it's because he wanted to enroll now, and didn't want to pay his way. But either way, it's highly unlikely that he'll be deemed academically eligible.

Unless he goes to Duke.

Reaction Score
If DH really likes him..And it appears he does.. It would be awesome to get 3 years of athletic eligibility out of him in Storrs..
Wherever he goes he'll have 3 years of eligibility, but will only be able to play 2 years. It doesn't matter if he plays or not, it doesn't even matter if he's deemed eligible (from my understanding). He enrolled in JuCo, so his clock started. From the day he became a college student, he had 5 years to play 4. That doesn't change when transferring from JuCo.

Reaction Score
But he wouldn't be academically eligible, and the clock doesn't stop.

He has 4 years left to play 3 right now.

I'm not an expert on this, but JuCo transfers have to complete their academic requirements before enrolling. I don't know what the NCAA is requiring of him. Whatever it is, has to be done before enrolling in his new school.

Because he is planning to play a second year at JuCo (despite having 20+ offers at D1) I think we can assume the NCAA is requiring him to finish JuCo in order to deem him eligible, but only he and the NCAA knows.

Could he get a scholarship (or pay his way at UConn) and transfer? Yes.
Would he be eligible? Highly unlikely.

If he goes transfers this year, it's because he wanted to enroll now, and didn't want to pay his way. But either way, it's highly unlikely that he'll be deemed academically eligible.

Unless he goes to Duke.
Of course, I'm not saying it's going to happen because I can't see him sitting out this year. But the point you keep glossing over in this scenario that Grey Goose laid out is that he wouldn't be playing this year so he's not losing a year of eligibility.

Like you said, he has 4 years to play 3 right now. So if he waits a year and doesn't play that leads to 3 years to play 3 just like anyone else who sits out and doesn't play

Reaction Score
Of course, I'm not saying it's going to happen because I can't see him sitting out this year. But the point you keep glossing over in this scenario that Grey Goose laid out is that he wouldn't be playing this year so he's not losing a year of eligibility.

Like you said, he has 4 years to play 3 right now. So if he waits a year and doesn't play that leads to 3 years to play 3 just like anyone else who sits out and doesn't play
Thank you for helping clarify my point. That was what I'm trying to say.. Don't know if it's viable.. When I was a JUCO FB player recruited by D1 schools out of HS and then again out of JUCO.. (Awhile ago LOL) ..I played one year of JUCO FB and had three years of athletic eligibility at a 4 year school.. I chose to graduate from the JUCO first..Things may have changed.. That's why I was curious if it could be an option for El..

Reaction Score

I wasn't glossing over it. I was confused because you guys keep saying he won't "lose a year of eligibility" but he does. Whether he plays or not. He loses a year. He doesn't even need to be eligible, he loses a year.

But yes. Theoretically, it's possible he could enroll at another school, satisfy his requirements, and then have 3 years to play.

Based on what we know, I don't think he's going to sit this year just to retain a 5th year on the backend. I think he'll be looking to go pro (somewhere) after 1-2 years at D1.

Reaction Score
We don't have an open scholarship to bring him in this year even if the staff wanted to.

Reaction Score
Most likely he needs to graduate from the JUCO to get eligible. He may not have to play and could save his year of play to use at D1, but he may be on scholarship at the JUCO, so he would have to pay his own way there if he didn't play for them.

That or he may not want to refrain from practicing competitively for a full year. At least sit 1 transfers can practice with a team.

Reaction Score
You have to assume some of this virtual recruiting will carry over even after things return to normal. I’d have to guess what they’re doing with the format now is more impactful than the calls/texts we’re used to in recruiting and could continue to give Hurley an advantage on the recruiting trail.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Most likely he needs to graduate from the JUCO to get eligible. He may not have to play and could save his year of play to use at D1, but he may be on scholarship at the JUCO, so he would have to pay his own way there if he didn't play for them.

That or he may not want to refrain from practicing competitively for a full year. At least sit 1 transfers can practice with a team.
He’s been doing a lot of interviews. He’s basically saying he made a commitment to the coach that he would play both years and graduate from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom