Edsall stepping down immediately | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Edsall stepping down immediately

Reaction Score
I have been going to games since we played on campus. I remember fondly some very cold and windy days spent on bleachers which seemed even colder ! I have been to basketball games way back as well, predating Gampel. The field house has some equally great memories. I even been to baseball with my first game probably in mid 70's. I could mention soccer, hockey visits as well but you get the idea. obviously I represent an older demographic of Uconn fan. A group which seemingly was more committed to the University than a single team. The fact we have splintered into groups less tolerant of each other seem to reflect our society need to argue at every turn. People now seem to feel their preference must be the correct one . But worse , yours must be wrong and I must convince you of it.
Sports is a privilege in my opinion that we share because our university exists in a state in which it can provide it. A collective effort to keep a healthy vibrant sports environment requires an appreciation at least rather than a denigration of the entire sports landscape. By All means have a favorite and support them. But be a Uconn fan and do no harm to the others !

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Randy had a big presser back in the day I think comparing Tyler or Zach, not sure, to Taliek Brown how Jim stood by him and he was such a winner and won games ugly and the media didn't know what we were talking about (Endres was best pure QB) etc.

5 minutes before the presser Jim was in the elevator and said..."That guy Cody is by far the best QB."
A part of me wants to believe that if Endres was a hoops player, JC would've found a way to overlook the toking up. I'm probably wrong on that, but I just have this feeling.

Anyway, JC was right. Cody had the goods.

Reaction Score
I strongly feel this is a mostly a small biased sample size thing. If you get beyond a small % of BY MBB hardos, I think that the vast majority of UConn MBB fans want football to succeed and also understand that the team needs to for us to be a viable overall athletic department.

Every single one of my friends are strong UConn ATHLETICS fans. Every single one. Talking dozens. Maybe I've just found the right subgroup to hang with, but I think it's more like a reasonable representative sample of the average UConn athletics fan.

It's a fun narrative to peddle, but I really don't think it's that true.
I can only tell you that I know plenty of UConn alum and basketball fans who don't understand why we're still playing football. Those folks are definitely out there.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
JC was passive-aggressive. How you may ask? The Burton Family Football Complex was built in 2006. The first time JC ever stepped foot in that building was Warde Manuel's press conference introducing him as the new AD. That's about as passive-aggressive as you can get. He called it the Taj Mahal for 6-7 years and never stepped inside?

Anyhow, JC is a football fan too, so it isn't like he had no interest in the sport. He watched all the games even just random football games.

BTW, funny story about JC and football now that I can speak out of school...

Remember the Zach Frazier, Tyler Lorenzen, Cody Endres debates (oh my god wouldn't we give to have any of the 3)....

Randy had a big presser back in the day I think comparing Tyler or Zach, not sure, to Taliek Brown how Jim stood by him and he was such a winner and won games ugly and the media didn't know what we were talking about (Endres was best pure QB) etc.

5 minutes before the presser Jim was in the elevator and said..."That guy Cody is by far the best QB."

I almost died. LOL.

JC is the GOAT.
Endres was without question the best pure passer of the three. I'll leave it at that.

JC's animosity (I hold a similar stance) was due to Hathaway being unwilling to actually put any effort into securing a basketball facility. He figured both programs were successful so why bother.

When I think of all of the opportunities that JH pi$$ed away I want to beat him senseless.

Reaction Score
When RE was rehired, I was against it because of the way he left-the school had little to no leverage as the budget concerns were 1st and foremost-I expected the team to be more competitive this season. Hard to argue with this move.
We will see if the interim moves the dial with on the field performance.

Reaction Score

JC was passive-aggressive. How you may ask? The Burton Family Football Complex was built in 2006. The first time JC ever stepped foot in that building was Warde Manuel's press conference introducing him as the new AD. That's about as passive-aggressive as you can get. He called it the Taj Mahal for 6-7 years and never stepped inside?

Anyhow, JC is a football fan too, so it isn't like he had no interest in the sport. He watched all the games even just random football games.

BTW, funny story about JC and football now that I can speak out of school...

Remember the Zach Frazier, Tyler Lorenzen, Cody Endres debates (oh my god wouldn't we give to have any of the 3)....

I almost died. LOL.

JC is the GOAT.
Great stories - thanks.

Reaction Score
I can only tell you that I know plenty of UConn alum and basketball fans who don't understand why we're still playing football. Those folks are definitely out there.
Some of them are my good friends. I'm in the "wanting football to succeed" minority with that group.

Reaction Score
This is aggravating. The joke about 15 years ago was that the men’s team hated football, women’s team hates the men’s team and that football hated everyone.

I gotta blame a lot of the very old media for this many many moons ago. Calhoun was always miffed how much we spent on football (stadium, practice center) and the media kind of took up that passive aggressive spirit …basketball vs. football. I can’t tell you how many times, after a loss, the old “is it basketball season?” I heard.

Then, it was men’s hoops making fun of the older people liking women’s hoops, then women’s hoops doing the “men are men, and women are champions BS”

One of the great mysteries I have as a former writer covering the team, an alum of the school and a CT resident is the hate one of the fan bases has fir the other.

The only thing all 3 fan bases agree on is Jim Penders is awesome. I am not joking on that either.
Calhoun hated a lot of things in the athletic dept, especially when Geno started winning National Championships every year. Lol. I’m sure Hurley, Spanos, and Geno will get along. Dave Benedict will make sure of it.

Reaction Score
Ok, now I hope with Spanish we can see what Steven Krajewski can do... I just hope we won't lose any players who said they'll be at UConn next year.
I hope Spanish also gets more plays, especially crossing routes for JRose. The guys a senior, not sure if this is his last year eligible, but let him shine, pound for pound he’s the best football player on the team.

Reaction Score
So that was the issue...Jack Zergiotis was speaking the wrong language! ;)
Sorry.. I have the first AUTO-INCORRECT keyboard. Spanish is supposed to be SPANOS! Anyway, I want to see a good/great game against Perdue.

I just read an article from some moron saying that UConn have no business as a FBS team after getting beat by a good HC team. I wonder if that moron wrote if Michigan - after App State beat them - have no business in FBS. I think no...

Reaction Score
Sorry.. I have the first AUTO-INCORRECT keyboard. Spanish is supposed to be SPANOS! Anyway, I want to see a good/great game against Perdue.

I just read an article from some moron saying that UConn have no business as a FBS team after getting beat by a good HC team. I wonder if that moron wrote if Michigan - after App State beat them - have no business in FBS. I think no...
I thought “Spanish” was his nickname. Lol

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
JC's animosity (I hold a similar stance) was due to Hathaway being unwilling to actually put any effort into securing a basketball facility.
So when they get an AD that does try to secure a BB facility, JC told people not to contribute. Never understood that.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So when they get an AD that does try to secure a BB facility, JC told people not to contribute. Never understood that.
I have no desire to engage in this subject on a public forum but in a nutshell, while I don't necessarily agree with the stance JC took, the way he was approached his response was understandable all things considered.

Reaction Score
I have no desire to engage in this subject on a public forum but in a nutshell, while I don't necessarily agree with the stance JC took, the way he was approached his response was understandable all things considered.

i always thought that JC told his former players not to contribute, because they had already done enough for the school. This I can understand.

Reaction Score
That is funny...but what would happen if we beat Perdue? They'll find another school to make fun of...
This was funny but what would Ryan McGee do if Randy showed up at his office to discuss? It's easy to hide behind a keyboard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom