Edsall on National Disrespect of AAC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Edsall on National Disrespect of AAC

Reaction Score
Maryland lost to Rutgers, but smacked Texas at Texas.

Reaction Score
Look at Rewster post. When he was in the P5, he was all about it, student athletes outside the P5 be damned.

Doesn't make him a bad guy it's just a coach being a coach, and I absolutely believe he would leave for a better job, because he's done it once already. Plus situation with his son and the State has to be gnawing at him.

You really believe Randy would move on from UConn if he got an offer in the next 2-3 years if he got an offer?

You have been around long enough to know he only came back to fix the mess the stupid twins and wacky Bob made.

First off he would not get an offer any time soon, but again, you know damn well this is his last stop.

Reaction Score
You really believe Randy would move on from UConn if he got an offer in the next 2-3 years if he got an offer?

You have been around long enough to know he only came back to fix the mess the stupid twins and wacky Bob made.

First off he would not get an offer any time soon, but again, you know damn well this is his last stop.
It could be. But some guys are lifers at one stop. Frank Beamer, Bill Snyder, Kirk Ferentz. I wouldn't confuse Randy with those guys. This is his last gig, but no one was going to beat his door down and offer him head job anywhere.

I can say that and,still be glad he is here fixing this mess.

Reaction Score
There were about 7k there on Christmas Day for a meaningless bowl game. UConn travels just fine.

We will see how well UConn travels on Saturday for their home game. How many do you expect at Fenway?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The last problem UConn has right now is someone offering Edsall a job.

Next season there is no defensive front 7, no center, not one player in the secondary who projects as AAC average, the place kicker doesn’t make kicks, they can’t punt, Newsome is gone...

I’d worry about how they put together a team that can beat UMass before I’d sweat Randy leaving for greener pastures.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Civil conflict yes, P6 marketing no. Aresco is lobbying for the best TV deal and part of the marketing strategy is differentiating the AAC from the other G 5 teams. Geico commercials can look pretty stupid too but Warren Buffet sells a lot of car insurance with those crazy commercials. Mike Aresco has a method to his madness.
I don't disagree. Sometimes a stupid idea is your only play.

But perception is reality and the P5 was a random creation as well. I hope it is successful.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't disagree. Sometimes a stupid idea is your only play.

But perception is reality and the P5 was a random creation as well. I hope it is successful.

Here is the rub - the P5 is not a random creation.

The P5 is shorthand for the autonomous conferences within the NCAA structure.

So while Aresco has convinced some dupes that having cheerleaders running around with P6 flags is going to impact the next TV contract they really just look foolish to anyone who understands what is going on.

Mike Aresco has accomplished nothing for the AAC to date. Just another bloated salary that UConn funds that has no ROI.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. Don't forget he said that after experiencing almost one season in what turns out to be a very tough league, deserving of it's Power 6 identity. I would think preparing for and playing USF and UCF (20th & 12th ranked in Amway coaches poll) in successive weeks (and earlier, 17th ranked Memphis) had something to do with his recent comments. Those three teams that are ranked higher than Florida, FSU and LSU! The AAC is for sure the most underrated football conference in college football.
As the Big East football conference was for about 20 years.

Reaction Score

So while Aresco has convinced some dupes that having cheerleaders running around with P6 flags is going to impact the next TV contract they really just look foolish to anyone who understands what is going on.

Mike Aresco has accomplished nothing for the AAC to date. Just another bloated salary that UConn funds that has no ROI.
What possibly could he have done better given the timing of when he came on, and what do you see him doing going forward?

I don't get the animosity for the guy. He is the commissioner of the league. He is trying desperately to promote his league. It is league that UConn included, can't get fans in seats.

As for UConn ROI, the only guy that seems to have a clue is Benedict. Herbst may be great at running the university, but on her watch our athletics are getting close to the point of irrelevancy. Her appointed Rock Star was worthless when he was really needed to make a football hire.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What possibly could he have done better given the timing of when he came on, and what do you see him doing going forward?

I don't get the animosity for the guy. He is the commissioner of the league. He is trying desperately to promote his league. It is league that UConn included, can't get fans in seats.

As for UConn ROI, the only guy that seems to have a clue is Benedict. Herbst may be great at running the university, but on her watch our athletics are getting close to the point of irrelevancy. Her appointed Rock Star was worthless when he was really needed to make a football hire.

He could have not added Tulane and Tulsa for starters.

Personally I prefer marketing plans that don’t get mocked but OMMV.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

True enough, but the I think the name was created first and used as a tool to set up the regulatory deal. Remember that the old nomenclature was BCS schools and specifically included the American under its old name the "Big East."

I agree it's kind of silly to unilaterally modify the membership of a group and add yourself, but it is probably the best play Aresco has to set off the American as first among the G5, which it is by any reasonable standard.

Reaction Score
He could have not added Tulane and Tulsa for starters.

Personally I prefer marketing plans that don’t get mocked but OMMV.
I'll give you that. Tulane is decent as far as school and city. Tulsa made less sense, but again do the school presidents bare no responsibility for That? With non conference games getting harder to come by i think adding those 2 schools was forward looking move.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'll give you that. Tulane is decent as far as school and city. Tulsa made less sense, but again do the school presidents bare no responsibility for That? With non conference games getting harder to come by i think adding those 2 schools was forward looking move.

Ten schools provides no lack of conference games. Much better double RR in hoops too.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We will see how well UConn travels on Saturday for their home game. How many do you expect at Fenway?

We oversold our 5k allotment at BC last year. I have no idea about this year. My guess is better.

Reaction Score
We oversold our 5k allotment at BC last year. I have no idea about this year. My guess is better.

Your allotment as the home team was 22,000 seats for Fenway. Are you saying you are expecting a little over 5K?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom