Edsall-Crocker | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Edsall-Crocker

Reaction Score
Study Hahn. 3rd year guy. Transitioned from Safety.
6'2" 214.

Its a clinic in how not to play LB. I cant figure out how he made it out there at his size, apparent speed and plain lack of instinct for the ball. 5 tackles/ 3 assists in 3 games at LB is atrocious.

I don't like singling kids out over talent, but for goodness sake he's not even a good linebacker in the upper tier of DIII. But, this is the Crocker small guy, tween influence and its not getting it done.

Gimme 3 true LBs that want to stick their heads in a pile and 4 down lineman and stop the friggin run and put pressure on the front line. Stress the DBs in man cover and let them learn to cover on an island. They cant stop anybody in a nickel anyhow, so lets not worry about that and fix at least some of our challenges.

I read something the other day that there were a lot of upperclassmen that either left or decided not to do a 5th year or something. It seemed like a bunch of BS excuse making, but regardless - you got a pass first defender trying to fill into a defensive scheme at linebacker where the LB's are going to need to be thinking run first. Gonna be problems.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Study Hahn. 3rd year guy. Transitioned from Safety.
6'2" 214.

Its a clinic in how not to play LB. I cant figure out how he made it out there at his size, apparent speed and plain lack of instinct for the ball. 5 tackles/ 3 assists in 3 games at LB is atrocious.

I don't like singling kids out over talent, but for goodness sake he's not even a good linebacker in the upper tier of DIII. But, this is the Crocker small guy, tween influence and its not getting it done.

Gimme 3 true LBs that want to stick their heads in a pile and 4 down lineman and stop the friggin run and put pressure on the front line. Stress the DBs in man cover and let them learn to cover on an island. They cant stop anybody in a nickel anyhow, so lets not worry about that and fix at least some of our challenges.
Hahn is a Diaco recruit. Qb/Safety in HS. Diaco recruited him for LB/S.

Reaction Score
Your prime example of the supposed Crocker "tweener" is a Bob Diaco recruit.

Good job.
That's why he shouldn't be out there at LB. That is a Crocker tweener move is the point.

Reaction Score
Hahn is a Diaco recruit. Qb/Safety in HS. Diaco recruited him for LB/S.
Eddie Hahn was recruited as an athlete by P and Diaco was able to keep him in the fold. He chose to come to UConn over NC State. Diaco promised him he would give him a look at QB but he would
Most likely end up at Safety. NC State recruiter him strictly as a Safety. He was moved to LB by Crocker and RE after being told he would play the hybrid S/LB Husky position in Crocker’s 3-3-5

Reaction Score
Eddie Hahn was recruited as an athlete by P and Diaco was able to keep him in the fold. He chose to come to UConn over NC State. Diaco promised him he would give him a look at QB but he would
Most likely end up at Safety. NC State recruiter him strictly as a Safety. He was moved to LB by Crocker and RE after being told he would play the hybrid S/LB Husky position in Crocker’s 3-3-5
That has alot to do with it. He is being asked to do something else and getting eaten up by Olinemen.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Another stat--UConn's defense is giving up 6.8 points per drive

Well absolute worst would be 8 points per drive. That is the floor....right??

Well technically if we give up a touchdown and a 2-point conversion on every single drive, the average would be 8 BUT if you throw in some pick-6s/fumbles returned for touchdowns/safeties... the floor could be even worse. Let's just hope we don't have to worry about any of that!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Hahn was HS class of 2016. Diaco Guy through and through.

Reaction Score

makes sense.

Still, doesn't change that you're taking a pass first defender and sticking them into a LB role that is going to be run first gap control in this scheme. going to be mistakes made, and hopefully to be learned from and not repeated that often.

C

Chief00

The buck stops w/ Crocker (on D) then Edsall but isn’t teaching fundamentals/technique primarily a position coach’s responsibility? There are others in the mix here that seemingly get overlooked in the grand scheme of things.
Agree about fundamentals and techniques being on position coaches and DC. It’s up to the Head Coach to make good hires and staffing adjustments.

Reaction Score
makes sense.

Still, doesn't change that you're taking a pass first defender and sticking them into a LB role that is going to be run first gap control in this scheme. going to be mistakes made, and hopefully to be learned from and not repeated that often.
He needs to be at least 225-230 to play LB..right now he is listed at 215. The experience gained will be beneficial down the road as well. I see him as a OLB who can cover a TE more than a guy who plays the middle.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I really expected a guy like TJ Gardner to burst on the LB scene this year. I thought he would bring the frame and athleticism.

Reaction Score
He needs to be at least 225-230 to play LB..right now he is listed at 215. The experience gained will be beneficial down the road as well. I see him as a OLB who can cover a TE more than a guy who plays the middle.

what # does this kid wear?

Reaction Score
That has alot to do with it. He is being asked to do something else and getting eaten up by Olinemen.

well, if he is listed 215 and a converted DB, this shouldnt be a surprise.

anyway,

i heard they changed rules again this year DI. something about cut blocks that is going to mess up the service academies - have you heard this?

Reaction Score

The hybrid is an Edsall creation.

Reaction Score
I’m increasingly confused by the we had no D1 recruits to play D so we need to play a full squad of freshmen. How’d this not happen on O? Somehow we recruited serviceable talent on O but not on D? I feel like I’m missing something. This is not a post in support of red pants recruiting, just a realization that we’ve fielded a serviceable unit in O while looking like keystone cops in D. What am I missing?

Reaction Score
well, if he is listed 215 and a converted DB, this shouldnt be a surprise.

anyway,

i heard they changed rules again this year DI. something about cut blocks that is going to mess up the service academies - have you heard this?
Eddie wears #6. I think the staff is trying to shore up deficiencies in areas but then these moves leave gaps elsewhere. Yeah the Army coach wasn't pleased with the new rule. Has to happen within 5 yards of LOS. Only by OL within the tackle box if block is coming at the side of defensive player vs the front. Claimed rules committee wants a big man's game, no blocking below the waist and most schools are afraid to play against this type of offense.

Reaction Score
Eddie wears #6. I think the staff is trying to shore up deficiencies in areas but then these moves leave gaps elsewhere. Yeah the Army coach wasn't pleased with the new rule. Has to happen within 5 yards of LOS. Only by OL within the tackle box if block is coming at the side of defensive player vs the front. Claimed rules committee wants a big man's game, no blocking below the waist and most schools are afraid to play against this type of offense.

Huh. #6. Didnt know that. Interesting. But Ill watch for him. The only player stood out on D to me so far is #57.

The info from the firefighter makes it seem like as young, he is probably one of the oldest, more experienced - and as long as the uconn football world hasn't gone to complete $#!+, it probably means he is some sort of team leader wearing 6, or at least supposed to be.

Would make sense coaches would want to keep him on the field.

Reaction Score

Oh and yeah, heard the werent happy at West Point. Ill have to read about it. Sounds like an extension variation of crackback rules.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I’m increasingly confused by the we had no D1 recruits to play D so we need to play a full squad of freshmen. How’d this not happen on O? Somehow we recruited serviceable talent on O but not on D? I feel like I’m missing something. This is not a post in support of red pants recruiting, just a realization that we’ve fielded a serviceable unit in O while looking like keystone cops in D. What am I missing?

I'd say part blind luck, part Diaco's staff maybe having a better eye for offensive talent, and part WRs and OL having better positional coaching the past couple of years than most of our defenders.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Let’s not go crazy. The offense did nada against a good defense.

Yeah they can light up Rhode Island.

Reaction Score
I think Buddy Ryan could do better at demanding effort across the board from snap to whistle. First Rhody TD pass the kid stopped playing I think because he thought the WR stepped out of bounds before catching the ball but for god's sakes play to the whistle. Same thing in the fourth quarter when there was half hearted effort as the Rhody kid ran down the sideline to score. The TD was called back because the kid stepped out of bounds about 10-15 yards earlier, but the whistle hadn't blown and replay had to over turn it.

It almost seems as though these kids have heard that they are young/inexperienced and maybe not very good so much so they play like they have a hall pass to be young/inexperienced and not very good. That's a bad mind-set even if the description is true. Overcome the youth/inexperience with effort and attention to detail.

i don't know if they've been around long enough to have heard that enough to affect them. seems to me they could benefit from somebody in their ears questioning as to who's feeding them dinner and why though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom