Edsall-Crocker | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Edsall-Crocker

Reaction Score
Villanova used it 2 yrs ago when Crocker was the DC there...so unless he somehow was using Edsall as a sounding board he brought it with him.

He ran a stack. There was no hybrid. 3 LBs lined up directly behind the linemen.

Reaction Score
Let’s not go crazy. The offense did nada against a good defense.

Yeah they can light up Rhode Island.

Not going crazy but the O moved the ball vs UCF. This is not a we have great talent on O or we have a top 20 O, but with HCRE 2.0 the O at least looks serviceable. The D ...... horrible.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not going crazy but the O moved the ball vs UCF. This is not a we have great talent on O or we have a top 20 O, but with HCRE 2.0 the O at least looks serviceable. The D . horrible.

Against UCF was all Pindell.

Reaction Score
He ran a stack. There was no hybrid. 3 LBs lined up directly behind the linemen.
Yeah and the 5th DB plays up near the LOS and is the size of a LB to handle the run and can also drops back into pass coverage ..hence the "Hybrid" tag.
I'm waiting for a response from Brian Ewart who writes for VUHoops and covers Nova Football and basketball on twitter....in the mean time post a link to prove me wrong.

Reaction Score
I’ve posted still shots of crocker’s Formations at nova on multiple occasions.

You do realize that Edsall used hybrids extensively in his first tenure here. The “Husky” was a term for the hybrid S/LB in his defense from the moment he first arrived.

So what we have is a criticism of Crocker using and seeking out “tweeners” based on one player who was a Diaco recruit (whether P recruited him as a HS freshman isn’t really relevant) playing a position created by Randy.

Reaction Score

You do realize that Edsall used hybrids extensively in his first tenure here. The “Husky” was a term for the hybrid S/LB in his defense from the moment he first arrived.

So what we have is a criticism of Crocker using and seeking out “tweeners” based on one player who was a Diaco recruit (whether P recruited him as a HS freshman isn’t really relevant) playing a position created by Randy.
Here is Ewart’s answer...guy has been covering Villanova football for some time..go take it up with him if you think he didn’t use a hybrid at Nova.
My question:
Brian having a discussion and need some help...when Billy Crocker was DC at Villanova did he employ a hybrid S/LB as the 5th defensive back in his 3-3-5 system?
His answer:
Yup. They classified the position as a safety, but it was a hybrid/flex depending on situations. It was one of the things that made that D so good against the run.
I’m including a screen shot of it as well

Attachments

• 7632BE71-AF9A-4699-AEE5-8712E4E9EF78.png
    7632BE71-AF9A-4699-AEE5-8712E4E9EF78.png
    535.4 KB · Views: 32
Reaction Score

For the record I’m not someone criticizing Eddie Hahn! I happen to like the kid a lot. Inalso know that he used hybrids here as well the first time around.

Reaction Score
I’m not surprised at the use of a larger safety in his scheme. I just don’t think Hahn is indicative of some desire to employ guys with no position throughout the defense.

I like Hahn as well. I do think he’s too slow to play safety effectively.

Reaction Score
I have serious questions about Crocker and surprised Edsall is putting up with a defense like this, regardless of experience or talent level. I guess we'll see what the future brings.

Just wrap your head around this....it wasn't all that long ago that this team started Scott Lutrus, Lawrence Wilson and Sio Moore at LB. Yawin Smallwood was red shirting. All those guys were exceptional college LBs and saw varying degrees of time in the NFL. None of them were highly touted recruits. We haven't sniffed a LB group like that in a long time. Edsall has got to get back to recruiting and developing players like this. What we've had a DB over the years makes me even more depressed...........to think we started Tyvon Branch and Darius Butler for a few years........ugggggghhhhhh

Reaction Score
I have serious questions about Crocker and surprised Edsall is putting up with a defense like this, regardless of experience or talent level. I guess we'll see what the future brings.

Just wrap your head around this....it wasn't all that long ago that this team started Scott Lutrus, Lawrence Wilson and Sio Moore at LB. Yawin Smallwood was red shirting. All those guys were exceptional college LBs and saw varying degrees of time in the NFL. None of them were highly touted recruits. We haven't sniffed a LB group like that in a long time. Edsall has got to get back to recruiting and developing players like this. What we've had a DB over the years makes me even more depressed......to think we started Tyvon Branch and Darius Butler for a few years...ugggggghhhhhh

Darius Butler red shirted and Branch didn’t play much at corner until later in the season.

Judge this freshman class in a couple of years. If they can’t measure up then so be it. Just very hard to judge them straight up as wet behind the ears freshmen. Heck, you got Edsall practically screaming it into the screen daily. Even Babers mentioned it during his presser yesterday. In a few years a lot of them will see significant gains. I’m not saying all of them though.

Reaction Score

Just wrap your head around this....it wasn't all that long ago that this team started Scott Lutrus, Lawrence Wilson and Sio Moore at LB. Yawin Smallwood was red shirting. All those guys were exceptional college LBs and saw varying degrees of time in the NFL. None of them were highly touted recruits. We haven't sniffed a LB group like that in a long time. Edsall has got to get back to recruiting and developing players like this. What we've had a DB over the years makes me even more depressed......to think we started Tyvon Branch and Darius Butler for a few years...ugggggghhhhhh
Lutrus redshirted as well.

Reaction Score
You're absolutely right. I think most of those guys I mentioned red shirted. That helps tremendously.
It truly does.
I see signs. The key is mentally you hope they don’t get broken/discouraged by the losing and they take this all into the offseason and work their tails off.
Kevon Jones will shed some fat and add more muscle, the lineman will gain more muscle, the DB’s will put on more weight and add strength.
Very crucial off season coming up for these kids.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom