Edsall changes his stripes ... and its a checkerboard! | The Boneyard

Edsall changes his stripes ... and its a checkerboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NOT really.

See ... I never bought into the imagery some put on HCRE. He was a solid Defensive oriented coach. But, the offense, at times, had aspects of being wide open ... if the personnel and/or the circumstances warranted. The Orlovsky schemes were pretty open. But, I think we still have the Edsall trolling the sidelines that we saw. He isn't going to let his assistants get much notice. He may say that "the kids" deserve all the credit ... but he will be squeamish on some notable issues.

BUT PUDGE ... I know. I said I would leave that man Edsall in the closet. I have: I didn't watch that game last night. NOW, I have to google to see WTF this whole Uni buzz is about.

NOW ... that is the one point that is HARD to believe. Of course, the Under Armour money came into play.

Reaction Score
I thought it was downright silly that some here expected Edsall to run the ball to no end with an all-Conference type of QB. That is a pass first offense they are running down there. I watched the first 3 quarters and the O'Brien kid absolutely lit up the Canes. Doing it against Miami's 2nd defensive unit notwithstanding, that kid is a great QB. I actually thought the U accounted well for themselves last night being shorthanded and dealing with all the distractions. Chance to win in the last minute of the game. If MD lost the honeymoon would've been officially over.

Reaction Score
I don't think honeymoon started until they won the game last night. It could be over pretty fast when they lose to WVU.

Reaction Score
Their offense looked a lot like what we were running the last 7 weeks of 2009 when Easley emerged and Moorhead was given some freedom. Up-tempo, good mix of pass and run.

Reaction Score
NOT really.

See ... I never bought into the imagery some put on HCRE. He was a solid Defensive oriented coach. But, the offense, at times, had aspects of being wide open ... if the personnel and/or the circumstances warranted. The Orlovsky schemes were pretty open. But, I think we still have the Edsall trolling the sidelines that we saw. He isn't going to let his assistants get much notice. He may say that "the kids" deserve all the credit ... but he will be squeamish on some notable issues.

BUT PUDGE ... I know. I said I would leave that man Edsall in the closet. I have: I didn't watch that game last night. NOW, I have to google to see WTF this whole Uni buzz is about.

NOW ... that is the one point that is HARD to believe. Of course, the Under Armour money came into play.

You really should watch this game. MD's opening drive was nothing short of spectacular, and that is no exaggeration. Throwing the ball down the field. The crowd on their feet screaming. It was really amazing. The second drive too, but it ended with some miscues leading to a FG. It made me realize that RE is fully capable of opening up the offense when he has the guns. Now, he didn't recruit O'Brien to MD, and let's see if he can keep up the recruiting, but that was a spectacular opening drive.

Reaction Score
305213_10100270305707081_9006418_50567380_1226992_n.jpg

Reaction Score
Those uniforms...

At first, I was like WTF...but then after a while, I realized I LOVED THEM! Dude, those uniforms are unique and slick. It reminds me of the uniforms worn by knights at a dinner show I went to in Orlando. Digging the super retro, 1500's style.

Reaction Score
Aside from the uniforms, I saw nothing unexpected from a Randy Edsall coached team. They won a home conference game, with scoring defense and field goals, a couple of big pass plays at key moments, a crowd support totally throwing an opposing offense out of gear, and capitalizing on opponent mistakes.

As for Maryland fans, that feeling in the gut, in the fourth quarter, as the other team is driving to either tie or take the lead, and the clock is winding down.......they're going to get used to it.

it was a good game to end the first weekend of football, Golden did a fine job of preparing that team to play on the road, in the middle of a whirlwind and short handed.

I'm 100% confident that full strength Golden team beats Edsall's Terps in that game last night. That game looked eeriely similar to some Temple - UConn match ups.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
A very typical game for an Edsall coached team. Get used to it Maryland. In a game which Maryland was clearly the better team, the game came down to the wire and the other team had a better than good chance of pulling out a win in a game they should not have even been in. Edsall plays for the close win. He gets a lot of them. But it is frustrating when you know you should have been able to put the lesser team away earlier in the game.

The Maryland players 'executed' Edsall's plan last night. We'll see what happens when this 'eek out a win gameplan' doesn't work against an inferior team and the players 'fail to execute' his plan.

That being said...Maryland has a very good team. They should be in contention for the ACC championship game with their talent and the weakness of the middle of the ACC this year.

Reaction Score
Edsall pulled a Phil Jackson and went to a team that has a budding superstar. O'brien will make Edsall look like a genius. Edsall was very smart to go to Maryland when he did. It's a win, win situation for him and UCONN (I'm very happy with coach P).

I saw a post on a Maryland board that said those uniforms "look like they were designed by Ronald McDonald on acid".

Reaction Score
Edsall pulled a Phil Jackson and went to a team that has a budding superstar. O'brien will make Edsall look like a genius. Edsall was very smart to go to Maryland when he did. It's a win, win situation for him and UCONN (I'm very happy with coach P).

I saw a post on a Maryland board that said those uniforms "look like they were designed by Ronald McDonald on acid".

If O'Brien has a big year this may be the only year Edsall gets to coach him. I think the chances of him leaving after this year is less than even money, but if it happens, they are in trouble. Some of the Fridge recruited backups have already left.

Reaction Score
Some of you are unbelievable to the point of being absurd. You think Maryland is upset at the start of the Edsall era? And, if not, don't you think your "concern" for whether they should be is more than a little transparently phony?

Here's an idea -- if he's as poor a coach as many of you think he will fall flat on his face and all you have to have is the patience of an adult to wait for it to happen, rather than proclaiming it's happening already at times that put you out on ledges by yourself. Of course, since most of you did that while he was here ....

Reaction Score
Some of you are unbelievable to the point of being absurd. You think Maryland is upset at the start of the Edsall era? And, if not, don't you think your "concern" for whether they should be is more than a little transparently phony?

Here's an idea -- if he's as poor a coach as many of you think he will fall flat on his face and all you have to have is the patience of an adult to wait for it to happen, rather than proclaiming it's happening already at times that put you out on ledges by yourself. Of course, since most of you did that while he was here ....

What are you talking about? I think you are looking for things you want to see, not what people are actually saying.

Reaction Score
Edsall won't fall flat on his face, he's too good. I believe that he needs to change to get better than he already is, and that change has to come from within, not by moving to a different environment. I'm not sure if he can change. I wanted to see it at UConn. What happened last night, is that he gained a ton of credibility with his players. His way won. It will continue to win, it's just a matter of how much.

Reaction Score
A very typical game for an Edsall coached team. Get used to it Maryland. In a game which Maryland was clearly the better team, the game came down to the wire and the other team had a better than good chance of pulling out a win in a game they should not have even been in. Edsall plays for the close win. He gets a lot of them. But it is frustrating when you know you should have been able to put the lesser team away earlier in the game.

The Maryland players 'executed' Edsall's plan last night. We'll see what happens when this 'eek out a win gameplan' doesn't work against an inferior team and the players 'fail to execute' his plan.

Maryland missed a field goal, dropped a sure touchdown pass that resulted in a field goal instead, and threw an interception in the endzone that would have made it 14-0 early.

The reason Miami was still in the game late was Maryland players left points off the board due to mistakes. Edsall made mistakes too, but the assertion that the game was close is because Edsall wanted it that way is out of touch with reality. You're right, there were plenty of chances to put Miami away early, the players blew too many of them with mistakes, not a poor gameplan.

Maryland made it within Miami's 12 yard line 6 times. In those trips, they scored 1 TD, and twice came away with 0 points. You're making the argument that the player's executed Edsall's game plan. He planned on a missed field goal and turnovers in the red zone? In a game they never trailed by more than 1 point, Maryland threw 44 passes. That's a conservative "eek out a win game plan"?

44 pass attempts is typical for Edsall?

Reaction Score
Chris Lopes tweeted "Edsall has no redzone strategy", lol

Kinda funny to watch the UConn players on twitter during the game

Reaction Score
Lopes is a cornerback, good to know he was in on the offense's game planning meetings.

Edsall tends to struggle in the red zone. He definitely doesn't throw interceptions in the opposing endzone or miss field goals, or gameplan for those things to happen so he can keep the score close.

I also don't think he was the one calling the plays last night.

Reaction Score
Go easy fellas. The man is gone, and we just a played a game in such a way that it was, at least for me, a breath of fresh air. Edsall's brand of football can win lots of games, and can be quite exciting when you've got players that can do that all important word in a guy like Edsall's approach.....execute.

We're all going to pay attention to the guy for a while. It's normal. As Miami was driving down the field though last night, in the fourth quarter, I had so many flash backs of games that we did, or should have had complete control on the way to the win, and basically felt completely helpless in the fourth quarter with nothing to do but hope that the clock hit zero before we lost.

The team that makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins, and that's the basic common denominator to all of Edsall's success, whether it be with a record setting performance through the air on offense, or on the ground on offense, or with a defense that scores points, it's always about making the least amount of mistakes possible on the field.

Mistakes always happen on the field, on every play. It's not something to be feared, though, there are other approaches.

Miami made a ton of mistakes last night. Maryland didn't make as many. They didn't score TD's very often. They didn't turn it over very often. They didn't kill themselves with penalties very often. They played good kicking games, and when they needed the go ahead points. they got them. When they needed the last takeaway. They got it.

Edsall is a great football coach and a tactician. His teams play disciplined hard nosed football. What Edsall didn't really ever seem to do well and grow along with everything else, was have teams emotionally and mentally ready to play, under any circumstances, anywhere - especially on the road, except when the team's back was completely against a wall.

Don't know how else to explain that, and I don't see any reason for it to change, and I don't expect Maryland to compete at a level beyond what UConn achieved with Edsall, unless it does change.

The game of football is too emotional.

Reaction Score
Apologists untie! Gump is gone. He fired us! You don't have to make excuses for him anymore.

Reaction Score
hate to break this to you, but I'm not the one starting threads. It's the irrational desire of people to trash him, even though he's gone, that unfortunately draws me in at times to this stupidity.

You can look at threads. I'd rather talk about UConn. But that is clearly not a view held by all.

Reaction Score
How about Randy on Twitter...???

RandyEdsall @ randyedsall - Congrats to O'Brien, Chism, and Vellano on ACC Player of the Week awards http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090611aaa.html

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Maryland missed a field goal, dropped a sure touchdown pass that resulted in a field goal instead, and threw an interception in the endzone that would have made it 14-0 early.

The reason Miami was still in the game late was Maryland players left points off the board due to mistakes. Edsall made mistakes too, but the assertion that the game was close is because Edsall wanted it that way is out of touch with reality. You're right, there were plenty of chances to put Miami away early, the players blew too many of them with mistakes, not a poor gameplan.

Maryland made it within Miami's 12 yard line 6 times. In those trips, they scored 1 TD, and twice came away with 0 points. You're making the argument that the player's executed Edsall's game plan. He planned on a missed field goal and turnovers in the red zone? In a game they never trailed by more than 1 point, Maryland threw 44 passes. That's a conservative "eek out a win game plan"?

44 pass attempts is typical for Edsall?

This is just one game. The larger sample speaks for itself. Edsall has a tendancy of taking a team that should handily beat an opponent and delivering a close win. Edsall's MO isn't to bury a team from the start...it is to wear them out and win at the end. Maybe that will change. But I will believe that when I see it. There are some positives to Edsall's gameplan (usually beat the teams you should beat), but there are negatives as well. Again, maybe things will change with him, but change has not been Edsall' strong suit. He thinks his way works and he sticks with it. We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom