Edsall calls a reverse. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edsall calls a reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The thing is, one of the coaches from MD ended up at Vandy, and it is pretty well rumored that the coach illegally communicated with OB. And RE stood up to him, and wouldn't condone it. So, if that's the real story, I'm with RE on this issue. You can't just poach players against the rules. RE does enough things wrong, but this wasn't one of them, if that's the story.

I believe a player should be free to go wherever he wants to go if he leaves school. Coaches do it constantly.

Reaction Score
The thing is, one of the coaches from MD ended up at Vandy, and it is pretty well rumored that the coach illegally communicated with OB. And RE stood up to him, and wouldn't condone it. So, if that's the real story, I'm with RE on this issue. You can't just poach players against the rules. RE does enough things wrong, but this wasn't one of them, if that's the story.

That is not how RE should stand up to such an alleged act. I'm sure there is an avenue through the NCAA. Using the athlete as a pawn is not the right answer.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Basically, it seems that Edsall was mad that he suspected that O'Brien was leaving Maryland in the same fashion that he left UConn. The difference was that he could hold the kid up whereas UConn could only hold him to his buyout.

He had leverage and used it until the Washington Post made a sport out of beating him over the head until he cried 'uncle'.

He's just tone-deaf to the rest of the world at times. I don't think he has any idea how some things will be perceived and he's genuinely surprised when there's pushback. He's not stupid by any stretch, he's just wired differently.

It didn't help him at UConn, but it didn't hurt him much either. No one gives a duck* if the Shawn Corchesnes of the world are twisted at you. If anything, it is somewhat endearing.

The Washington Post is a much bigger animal than he dealt with here, though, and they've decided that they don't like him in the same way that the NY papers decided they didn't like Ray Handley or Rich Kottite.

He'll pay for every misstep or even every perceived misstep. I think he'll learn, but he should probably do it quickly.

Reaction Score
One has to really hate someone to criticize him for doing something, and then criticize him again for taking your advice and doing what you purported to want him to do in the first place. Normal, rational people don't act that way.

Because in your universe, only people who agree with you are "rational". Seriously, that Dyson vacuum cleaner guy wants to study you in order to understand how you can suck up to Randy Edsall so well.

Reaction Score
That is not how RE should stand up to such an alleged act. I'm sure there is an avenue through the NCAA. Using the athlete as a pawn is not the right answer.

Old coach that the player likes leaves to go to Vandy, turns out to actually be a good coach and gets Vandy to a bowl game. Player decides he has irreconcilable differences with Rangoon and wants to play for his old coach. Seems straightforward unless there actually is proof that old coach reached out poached Rangoon's player.

If Rangoon has proof that the old coach did something wrong then he should present that evidence. Otherwise he is just completely full of it.

There is a big difference between doing the right thing and being directed to the right thing.

Edsall is just incredibly stupid. He has some real malcontents. Got it. Instead of letting them leave in order to turn the page and move on, he drags it out and draws more attention to it.

If he actually does find a way to win 8 games next season, everyone will still remember that he is a total .

Reaction Score
Old coach that the player likes leaves to go to Vandy, turns out to actually be a good coach and gets Vandy to a bowl game. Player decides he has irreconcilable differences with Rangoon and wants to play for his old coach. Seems straightforward unless there actually is proof that old coach reached out poached Rangoon's player.

If Rangoon has proof that the old coach did something wrong then he should present that evidence. Otherwise he is just completely full of it.

Pretty sure ACC filed a greivance with the SEC about Vandy a day or two ago.

Reaction Score
Basically, it seems that Edsall was mad that he suspected that O'Brien was leaving Maryland in the same fashion that he left UConn. The difference was that he could hold the kid up whereas UConn could only hold him to his buyout.

He had leverage and used it until the Washington Post made a sport out of beating him over the head until he cried 'uncle'.

He's just tone-deaf to the rest of the world at times. I don't think he has any idea how some things will be perceived and he's genuinely surprised when there's pushback. He's not stupid by any stretch, he's just wired differently.

It didn't help him at UConn, but it didn't hurt him much either. No one gives a duck* if the Shawn Corchesnes of the world are twisted at you. If anything, it is somewhat endearing.

The Washington Post is a much bigger animal than he dealt with here, though, and they've decided that they don't like him in the same way that the NY papers decided they didn't like Ray Handley or Rich Kottite.

He'll pay for every misstep or even every perceived misstep. I think he'll learn, but he should probably do it quickly.

He just isn't good enough to act the way he does. Like you stated, he could get away with at UConn where people in CT, actually get mad at Jeff Jacobs when he writes about the coaches warts, but in DC it seems, if you want to act like Belichek or Coughlin, you better win like them. And don't compare what you're trying to do to th Patriot way, coming off a 2-10, season. There is no other way to say it, that is just playing stupid, and deservedly bound to get you hammered in the media. His timing is terrible. Had he waited one more year he'd probably be at Penn State instead of Bill Obrien.

Reaction Score
He just isn't good enough to act the way he does. Like you stated, he could get away with at UConn where people in CT, actually get mad at Jeff Jacobs when he writes about the coaches warts, but in DC it seems, if you want to act like Belichek or Coughlin, you better win like them. And don't compare what you're trying to do to th Patriot way, coming off a 2-10, season. There is no other way to say it, that is just plain stupid, and deservedly bound to get you hammered in the media. His timing is terrible. Had he waited one more year he'd probably be at Penn State instead of Bill Obrien.

Don't know what happened to this post. It was a reply to Fishy's post.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure ACC filed a greivance with the SEC about Vandy a day or two ago.

Maryland football lifts transfer restrictions on Danny O’Brien, files complaint against Vanderbilt
I wonder who's idea it was to file a complaint...Edsall or Anderson's? It doesn't jibe with Edsall's statement, “As a program we are looking forward to putting this distraction behind us and to moving forward.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...vanderbilt/2012/02/22/gIQApe39TR_story_1.html

Reaction Score
Maryland football lifts transfer restrictions on Danny O’Brien, files complaint against Vanderbilt
I wonder who's idea it was to file a complaint...Edsall or Anderson's? It doesn't jibe with Edsall's statement, “As a program we are looking forward to putting this distraction behind us and to moving forward.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...vanderbilt/2012/02/22/gIQApe39TR_story_1.html

Maybe it doesn't jibe with his statement, but it is the right way to combat suspected tampering rather than blocking the athlete.

Reaction Score
Maybe it doesn't jibe with his statement, but it is the right way to combat suspected tampering rather than blocking the athlete.

Agreed, that is what Maryland should have done from the get go. Don't punish the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom